Which of these teams is better?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
After watching the Champions League final the other night I found myself inspired to fire up FIFA and attempt to bring some actual joy to Atletico after so many failures for them on this stage. A combination of being tight and having a long-running Southend United save which saw me conquer Europe multiple times means that this was on FIFA 11. After being initially appalled by the transfer budget I would have to buy all the good young players up (a tactic I last used in FIFA to see 2004's Hull City go from League Two to champions of Europe in five years with Kaka, Didier Drogba and Dirk Kuyt up front) I started a career with Juventus instead. When I started the Juve came I realised I had forgotten that I'd be able to sell the assorted ***** flooding the squad to raise extra funds. Since I got really into rebuilding the team though I ended up with two.

So, imagine it's 2011. That was a good year for me. I hadn't joined this board yet. Which of these two teams would you expect to win the Champions League first?

Lukaku

Aguero

Hazard - Eriksen - Reus

Matuidi - Busquets

Filipe Luis - Godin - Van Der Wiel

De Gea​

or

Lukaku

Neymar

Krasic - Eriksen - Mohammed Sissoko - Alexis Sanchez

Armand Traore - Chiellini - Bonucci - Abate

Buffon​

If I were to answer my own question, with the benefit of hindsight, I'd say the latter's two wings are too terrible for it to be a contest but I also think the attack is better, given that after discovering who Krasic is I found he was actually supposed to become a good player around now.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The top team, but only if Matuidi and Busquets (especially Busquets) sit deep enough to essentially become sweepers, leaving Luis and VdW as wingbacks. Because I would NOT be comfortable with those two operating as CBs in a back 3, but very comfortable with them as wingbacks in what becomes a sort of hybrid back 5.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The top team, but only if Matuidi and Busquets (especially Busquets) sit deep enough to essentially become sweepers, leaving Luis and VdW as wingbacks. Because I would NOT be comfortable with those two operating as CBs in a back 3, but very comfortable with them as wingbacks in what becomes a sort of hybrid back 5.

Filipe Luis would be absolutely perfect as a wide center back in a back 3. VdW not so much. Honestly if I had to make a team with those players I'd play around with Matuidi as a CB.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I can see why people are looking to the first team here, especially in the context of 2011, but that defense doesn't work regardless of Matuidi and Busquets in front of them. I wouldn't use either of Filipe Luis or van der Wiel like that. Ideally you'd take players from both teams to make something better work.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad