Which of these Leafs trades would you go back in time and stop from happening?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The niedemyer trade. We were supposed to finish last and have the lindros pick. But made sure along with the nordiques that we didn't and finished 3rd. Lindros or Niedermayer. Imagine not trading for Kurvers..... sad times

While the thought of the Kessel trade makes me want to puke and it is a fresh in our minds

Ham has it right, the Nieds trade tops em all:nod:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The worst trade in Leaf history has to be Kordic for Courtnall. Courtnall went on to be an all start and Kordic killed himself before even playing for the Leafs, my friends used to tease me that the Leafs traded Courtnall for a dead guy, which unfortunately was true.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The worst trade in Leaf history has to be Kordic for Courtnall. Courtnall went on to be an all start and Kordic killed himself before even playing for the Leafs, my friends used to tease me that the Leafs traded Courtnall for a dead guy, which unfortunately was true.

Your friends are idiots, he played over 100 games for the Leafs and then was traded to Washington.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2789

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The niedemyer trade by far - he could have potentially brought this team a cup.

The akessel trade was pretty terrible - but I doubt the Leafs get any closer to he cup - Burke still would have tried to trade his way into the playoffs rather than keep building via the draft.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Even if I could go back in time, how would I stop a trade from happening?

But assuming that I could, I don't know. A lot say the Kessel trade, but if Burkie couldn't get Kessel who knows what he would have done instead.

I guess I'll say the Kurvers trade. That's probably the worst trade in Leafs history.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Even if I could go back in time, how would I stop a trade from happening?

But assuming that I could, I don't know. A lot say the Kessel trade, but if Burkie couldn't get Kessel who knows what he would have done instead.

I guess I'll say the Kurvers trade. That's probably the worst trade in Leafs history.

An important question that few ever think about.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

How can you not remember "the mugging" as proclaimed by Joe Bowen, when it was happening. I can't find video/audio with the actually call but I'll never forget the way Joe said that. It sounded like a call that you would here while watching WWF match.
(It may not have actually been Joe but I'm 99% sure it was because that call has stayed with me ever since).

Anyways, awful trade and Gord broke up the Hound Line.:rant:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
At the 2010 draft when it was the Bruins turn to select Seguin I remember seeing their management team walking right past the Leafs table. Now maybe this is a crazy thought but I always wondered do you think Peter Chiarelli had them walk past it on purpose as a way to thank Toronto for being bad that season or was it just a coincidence they went that way? Here is the video so you can judge it for yourself, also at the 0:26 you see Chiarelli turn towards the Leafs table so you think he said something to them?

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Ugh. :help:

Niedermayer, Seguin, Hamilton, Couture (actual pick was Eller) etc, were never owned by the Leafs therefore they were not traded by the Leafs.

I don't know how people fail to understand this. It's fun to dream but at some point you have to use logic.

If Kurvers never became a Leaf, perhaps the Leafs would miss his 15 goals and be worse or they go out and get another defenceman and are better or somebody else steps up to replace him etc.

If Kessel isn't traded, perhaps the Leafs are worse and draft Hall or Burke acquires somebody else and they are better or the team doesn't lose all those games, waiting for Kessel to get healthy etc.

My point is, when a player is acquired or not, it totally changes the dynamic of the team and a million different things could have happened. While the team might have still been bad, it's naive to think that they would have finished in the EXACT same spot.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Niedermayer, Seguin, Hamilton, Couture (actual pick was Eller) etc, were never owned by the Leafs therefore they were not traded by the Leafs.

I don't know how people fail to understand this. It's fun to dream but at some point you have to use logic.
I feel the exact same way and I wish other people would realize that. That's why I previously said how it was the Boston Bruins who actually traded Seguin and Hamilton.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
If Kessel isn't traded, perhaps the Leafs are worse and draft Hall or Burke acquires somebody else and they are better or the team doesn't lose all those games, waiting for Kessel to get healthy etc.

It's possible but the Leafs finished 12 points ahead of the Oilers. Were Kessel's 55 points and bad defense worth an added 12 points?

So they lost games because they were waiting for Kessel? But they didn't give up roster players for Kessel, so it seems irrelevant whether Kessel was here but not playing or not here at all. In both scenarios, nothing was given up through the first 12 games of the season.
Scenario A: No roster players out, Kessel in but not playing
Scenario B: No rosters players out, Kessel not in.

What's the difference?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's say Kessel didn't miss the first month of the 2009-2010 season due to his offseason surgery. Does anyone think he could have made a difference where the Leafs finished in the standings and avoid giving the Bruins the 2nd overall pick.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

If Kurvers never became a Leaf, perhaps the Leafs would miss his 15 goals and be worse or they go out and get another defenceman and are better or somebody else steps up to replace him etc.

My point is, when a player is acquired or not, it totally changes the dynamic of the team and a million different things could have happened. While the team might have still been bad, it's naive to think that they would have finished in the EXACT same spot.

The historic problem with leafs management was chronic impatience and trading good futures for immediate help to squeak into the playoffs.

Thank God that's over.

Chandler55

Mar 9, 2004
I cant believe people hated the owen nolan trade. Yes I love MCcauly as much as anyone else, but that dude was a legit power forward who was going to take our team to the next level. It sucked he had injuries both times in the playoffs.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I cant believe people hated the owen nolan trade. Yes I love MCcauly as much as anyone else, but that dude was a legit power forward who was going to take our team to the next level. It sucked he had injuries both times in the playoffs.

Nolan was finished when the leafs traded for him. The Sharks knew his back was blown out and they pulled a fast one on the leafs. I don't know how Nolan passed his physical.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
It's possible but the Leafs finished 12 points ahead of the Oilers. Were Kessel's 55 points and bad defense worth an added 12 points?

So they lost games because they were waiting for Kessel? But they didn't give up roster players for Kessel, so it seems irrelevant whether Kessel was here but not playing or not here at all. In both scenarios, nothing was given up through the first 12 games of the season.
Scenario A: No roster players out, Kessel in but not playing
Scenario B: No rosters players out, Kessel not in.

What's the difference?

Mentality is the difference. The lineup would be different because Kessel wasn't in the mix and we know there's a very good chance that Burke might have added somebody else.

That's just one scenario and like I said, there are many different variables.

Say there were a couple of games where Kessel was dogging it and that's why they lost a particular game (we all know that's not too far fetched :)). Those 4 points put them in 3rd last.

Lets say Kessel remained with Boston. What if during the season, Boston lost to a team directly above the Leafs and having Kessel enabled them to win that game instead.

Say, with Kessel on Boston, they are about to play the Leafs and on the flight there, Kessel eats Chara's last cookie. Chara gets mad, clocks him, get suspended by the team and isn't able to face the Leafs. That would have upped the Leafs chances of beating Boston and gaining points. ;):laugh:

Just the fact the Kessel is not on the team changes every single thing about the season for the team and the league for that matter. Think chaos theory.

The bottom line is they were picks traded not players and the Leafs never had them to begin with.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
The historic problem with leafs management was chronic impatience and trading good futures for immediate help to squeak into the playoffs.

Thank God that's over.

You are correct, sir.

Knowing that, what if the Leafs did end up picking 3rd in the Niedermayer year, they might have taken Scott Lachance. Who knows?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Nolan trade since it probably ends up causing the other 2 to not happen

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Kessel set us back 5 years.
Not that the player was bad - the deal in itself turned the team ready for a rebuild into a must win at all costs.

Then again; those draft years were tough to gauge. We may have been a team spinning our tires with this core of top end picks:

Taylor Hall
Jonathan Huberdeau
Griffen Reinhart

Last edited:

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Man this thread is depressing.

I'll see myself out. (Voted for the Kessel trade by the way) :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events