Prospect Info: Which of these Habs prospects will play at least 100 games in the NHL?

Which of these Habs prospects will play at least 100 games in the NHL?

• Lane Hutson

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • David Reinbacher

Votes: 56 98.2%
  • Logan Mailloux

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Joshua Roy

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Adam Engstrom

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • Owen Beck

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • Emil Heineman

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • Sean Farell

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Filip Mesar

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Jakub Dobes

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Jacob Fowler

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Riley Kidney

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Jayden Struble

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Oliver Kapanen

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Will Trudeau

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Carden Primeau

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Luke Tuch

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Bogdan Konyushkov

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Vincent Rohrer

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • J Davidson

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Xavier Simoneau

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Mathias Norlinder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Mysak

• Cedric Guindon

• Florian Xhekaj

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Petteri Nurmi

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Miguel Tourigny

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Ty Smilanic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
While I voted for others, the first batch in your list up to Mesar I think will play 100 games. On that note, I don’t think Mesar will make it but I’ll happily like to be wrong.

Reactions: Nevins

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
While I voted for others, the first batch in your list up to Mesar I think will play 100 games. On that note, I don’t think Mesar will make it but I’ll happily like to be wrong.
Why not? If it’s not here it’s gonna be elsewhere. He’s underrated now lol

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
People (I included) will vote Farrell because he has his contract in hand, but I'm not that high on him. Beck will have a much nicer career. Probably Heineman, too.

Hudson and Reinbacher will get their games in no matter what, based on pedigree alone.

Mailloux is the new Sheldon Souray, he'll 100% play more than 100 games even if he's got holes in his game. He could end up being a Brent Burns type of guy if it all goes well. Or Byfuglien.

Mesar I'm having trouble getting a good read on. I think he has all the tools to be a post-injury Koivu-like player, but he could end up with a career like Sergei Kostytsin (minus the drugs).

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Which of these Habs prospects will play at least 100 games in the NHL?
Of course anything is possible, so I answered the poll question as if it was "Which of these prospects do you think has a greater than 50% chance of playing 100+ NHL games".

On that basis, I am more certain than not of the following 9 guys:
Forwards: Roy, Heineman, Kapanen, Condotta (not even in poll, please add !!)​
Defencemen: Reinbacher, Engstrom, Struble​
Goalies: Dobes, Primeau​

The next group is 30-50%:
Farrell, Beck, Davidson, Hutson, Mailloux, Fowler

The rest are long shots.

By the way, I am consistent in the belief that we the fans over-rate prospects more often than not. I think the odds of a guy drafted past the top 15 or so playing those 100+ games is not that high.

It is why I have doubts about Hutson and Mailloux being able to handle the NHL grind.

And more importantly, it is why I have trouble supporting proposals to trade good NHL players for anything but top 10-15 draft picks, top 5 at least (plus roster-capable guys) for the better ones.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
People (I included) will vote Farrell because he has his contract in hand, but I'm not that high on him. Beck will have a much nicer career. Probably Heineman, too.

Hudson and Reinbacher will get their games in no matter what, based on pedigree alone.

Mailloux is the new Sheldon Souray, he'll 100% play more than 100 games even if he's got holes in his game. He could end up being a Brent Burns type of guy if it all goes well. Or Byfuglien.

Mesar I'm having trouble getting a good read on. I think he has all the tools to be a post-injury Koivu-like player, but he could end up with a career like Sergei Kostytsin (minus the drugs).
I agree on Farrell. He and Beck are both outside my 50% cutoff, Beck narrowly so. So are Hutson and Mailloux, home run swings that they were.

And for all the talk of Mesar being a great skater, I believe he is not even as strong as Poehling so this type of poll really makes you think realistically about all of the prospects.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
This poll is a really fantastic idea. It focuses a lot of our thinking about prospects.
I like it too because it made me consider career longetivity instead of just who's gonna be a home run or not. Like for example I could see Roy coming out gangbusters and then falling off (or vice-versa) vs. Beck who I could see having a more consistent, longer career. but with a lower peak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad