Which of these Centreman is the best based on pure talent?

Which Centreman is the most talented?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Backstrom is in a tier or two above all the others on this list

Backstrom
Scheifele, Point
O'Reilly, Couturier, Pavelski, Johansen, Horvat, Aho

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When you say "talent," are you referring to aesthetically pleasing and precise practice skills? There's such a big gap in abilities and play styles on your list of players.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
It's unfortunate that, given how it's phrased, the question undervalues guys with reputations for being all-round centers (e.g. ROR, Schiefele, Couturier and Point) since I'd think of "pure talent" as being more known for flash and flair (e.g. Pat Kane/ Panarin/ Kucherov vs. Marchand/ Landeskog/ Stone) -- at least that's how I see it.

For pure OFFENSIVE talent (strictly based on what I've seen, because I don't see much of Aho/ Schiefele in my market), I'd say it comes down to Backstrom (known for being a silky smooth Swedish player with the puck), Point (all round but he makes plays) and Pavelski (his "clutch gene" is possible because of his talent IMO).

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
"Pure talent" is a nonsense term. Most abilities a player displays on the ice are skills, which are learned. Is there such a thing as "impure" talent? How do you differentiate talent from skill? If you're talking about some kind of natural or genetic advantage, you're basically just talking about abilities defined by their bodies. So, size and hand-eye, and then various joint and musculature features none of us know anything about in these players.

If you just mean "sick puck skillz brah," then say that.

Reactions: Ippenator

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
When you say "talent," are you referring to aesthetically pleasing and precise practice skills? There's such a big gap in abilities and play styles on your list of players.
Unfortunately I feel it would be unfair to add new parameters to the polling, even though some people could change their answer. In this instance we just have to go on whatever you think talent means!

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Scheifele at his best can completely take over a game, like he did in Game 7 vs Nashville. Point is a close 2nd.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
What is ‘talent’ and how can you measure it? At which point does “natural aptitude or skill” conflate among assets like physical predispositions (height/built), strength, speed, mental fortitude, “game sense”, spacial awareness, processing ability, etc, etc. Each of these players is a different combination of “aptitude’s”, which is the basis of talent. Mark Scheifele is a lot of things that Brayden Point is not, and vice-versa. Most of these players are deft and illusive in their skating to some notable extent, Joe Pavelski has never been that. Yet, he’s in the conversation, so there must be something evocative of talent which places him here.

I do not understand the question.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It's unfortunate that, given how it's phrased, the question undervalues guys with reputations for being all-round centers (e.g. ROR, Schiefele, Couturier and Point) since I'd think of "pure talent" as being more known for flash and flair (e.g. Pat Kane/ Panarin/ Kucherov vs. Marchand/ Landeskog/ Stone) -- at least that's how I see it.

For pure OFFENSIVE talent (strictly based on what I've seen, because I don't see much of Aho/ Schiefele in my market), I'd say it comes down to Backstrom (known for being a silky smooth Swedish player with the puck), Point (all round but he makes plays) and Pavelski (his "clutch gene" is possible because of his talent IMO).

I actually put Schiefele much more on the pure talent side than the “all around” side of the spectrum to be honest. It terms of pure physical and skill package offensively I think he’s near the top. It is his 200’ intensity that I find inconsistent. At his peak he’s more dominant than Point offensively IMO but as an overall player I would take Point’s more consistently engaged style despite his smaller frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad