Which of these CBJ assets has the most value?

Which of these has the highest trade value?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Given our recent proclivity for drafting smaller players, I was wondering how valuable people think they would be on the trade market if they develop well. Specifically, I am wondering just how valuable you think Dumais or Malatesta are. They have obviously outplayed their draft position, but by how much? Which of these assets do you think is the most valuable? Feel free to rank them all in the comments.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don’t think any of them return a 1st. I think all are around 2nd round value except maybe Bean. It is why I put this group together.

I guess I would rate it

Del Bel Belluz
Malatesta
2024 2nd
Peeke
Dumais
——
Bean

but it is pretty close.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I love this type of “unique” poll, we should do different variations throughout the rest of the summer, it changes things up from the same subjects/conversations, and gives people a better chance to explain their ideas.

I don’t think value to the CBJ and “trade value” are equal/synonymous. I voted Bean as I’m very high on him as a player, and “in a vacuum” look at him as the higher rated asset. See him as a capable #4 right now.

I also think that ‘24 2nd rounder should be looked at as having extra value to other teams around the league, as they could choose whoever they like.

I think some teams might look at Dumais’ game or “potential” and really like him, he very well may have more value around the league than to the CBJ, and the highest on this list.

Some other teams may look at Malatesta highly for bringing the opposite of Dumais, that “energy/pro game”, but, many organizations have this type of guy and he probably doesn’t have very much value. Better to keep in the organization, imo.

I can’t say I’ve seen enough of DBB to say a lot, I’d say his value is similar to Malatesta.

Peeke sucks, no way he’s worth more than a 3rd. Not sure what some of you are watching. Throw his draft year scouting report out the window.

Dumais/Bean
‘24 2nd rounder
Malatesta/DBB
Peeke

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don’t think value to the CBJ and “trade value” are equal/synonymous. I voted Bean as I’m very high on him as a player, and “in a vacuum” look at him higher rated asset. See him as a capable #4 right now.

I also think that ‘24 2nd rounder should be looked at as having extra value to other teams around the league, as they could choose whoever they like.

I think some teams might look at Dumais’ game or “potential” and really like him, he very well may more value around the league than to the CBJ, and the highest on this list.

I 100% agree value to CBJ and trade value are two different things. I don’t think Peeke has much value to Columbus, but he is a right stick with decent size who doesn’t cost much. Other teams may be willing to trade for him. Also, we have had so many draft picks over the last few years that an early 2nd round pick might not seem so great to us, but playoff teams might want a cost controlled player or a piece they can flip for a veteran at the deadline. Dumais probably has extra value for the Canadiens, and it only takes one team to make a trade, so maybe they would give up a little extra to get him.

I would have had a different order last off-season and a different order in January and I will probably have a different order in December. As I said, I think they are all pretty close. Bean being healthy and playing ok for the first three months of the season would bounce his value back up.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
1. Peeke - cost controlled right handed D man with upside.

2. Dumais - small but no denying his production

3. 2024 2nd round pick - could be very high

4. LDBB - good production, moderate upside

5. Malatesta - riding the list but probably need to see him in pros

6. Bean - big injury last year and inconsistent play. Could rise the list quick with good play

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In a vacuum I'm not sure if any of them have great value in general. Peeke & Bean might have some value to a team needing a 3rd pair guy. The 2024 2nd could/should have some value to a few of the teams that have gone all in for several years and have few, if any picks next year.
The junior guys have little value imo.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
In a vaccuum I think you have to go with Dumais. The other players have nice upside or have already shown quite a bit in the NHL, but Dumais is the only one to have shown any sort of game breaking ability. His age and contact are cherries on top.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I love this type of “unique” poll, we should do different variations throughout the rest of the summer, it changes things up from the same subjects/conversations, and gives people a better chance to explain their ideas.

I don’t think value to the CBJ and “trade value” are equal/synonymous. I voted Bean as I’m very high on him as a player, and “in a vacuum” look at him as the higher rated asset. See him as a capable #4 right now.

I think some teams might look at Dumais’ game or “potential” and really like him, he very well may have more value around the league than to the CBJ, and the highest on this list.

Some other teams may look at Malatesta highly for bringing the opposite of Dumais, that “energy/pro game”, but, many organizations have this type of guy and he probably doesn’t have very much value. Better to keep in the organization, imo.

I can’t say I’ve seen enough of DBB to say a lot, I’d say his value is similar to Malatesta.

Peeke sucks, no way he’s worth more than a 3rd. Not sure what some of you are watching. Throw his draft year scouting report out the window.

Dumais/Bean
‘24 2nd rounder
Malatesta/DBB
Peeke
Peeke may suck but teams time and time again overpay for big righties. I thnk you underestimate his value around the league. If hes on the roster Id expect Babcock to help boost his value a bit

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Jake Bean is the best of them and I think he is an underrated player. But teams would probably want a young, physical, defensive d-man more.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad