Which of the European goalies coming over the NHL will have the most success now and in the future?

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
Here are my takes, but I'd love to hear yours:

Patrick Rybar - 24-year-old Rybar was third among all goalies in the Czech league in SV%, and 2nd of those who played over 15 games. Decently tall at 6'3", although nothing special for goalies. Skinny at only 176 lbs. Not sure where he sits in Detroit's depth chart for goalies. Both Jared Coreau and Tom McCollum, the Grand Rapids Griffin's goalie tandem, are pending free agents, while (according to EliteProspects) Matej Machovsky is going to play in the Czech league for the 2018-2019 season. This leaves Jimmy Howard, Patrik Rybar, and Kaden Fulcher as the Red Wings' only goalies signed in North America for the 2018-2019 season. I'd say Rybar has a better chance than Fulcher of playing behind Howard, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Red Wings sign a backup goalie in the offseason leaving Rybar in the AHL.

Kevin Lankinen - 23-year-old Lankinen put up Liiga's best SV% and GAA, albeit in a limited number of games (only 15). A little shorter than Rybar at only 6'2", but weighs more. With Corey Crawford back for the 2018-2019 season, I expect Lankinen to start in the AHL alongside JF Berube, with Collin Delia returning to the ECHL. Anton Forsberg will most likely stay behind Crawford in the NHL, but Lankinen may be the go-to call up if either Forsberg or Crawford are injured considering Berube's shaky stats from last season. Chicago also has young Ivan Nalimov to turn once if he decides to cross the pond to North America (he was second in the KHL in SV% and his contract ends after this coming season).

Pavel Francouz - Older than Lankinen and Rybar at 27-years-old, Francouz led the KHL in SV% on a decent Traktor Chelyabinsk team. Short for a goalie at only 6'0". He is the only goalie of the bunch that EliteProspects lists as playing with his signed club's NHL, rather than AHL, team. Considering his age, stats and the fact that Semyon Varlamov is the only other goalie of Colorado who isn't a pending free agent, I can peg Francouz getting the backup position with the Avalanche. However, I could also see Colorado signing a 1b goalie to play behind the inconsistent and injury-prone Varlamov.

Mikko Koskinen - The 29-year-old Koskinen was fifth in the KHL for Russia's favorite SKA St. Peterburg team, sitting just above his partner-in-crime Igor Shestyorkin (who he split playing time with). Koskinen is a large goalie, standing 6'6" at 205 lbs. With Al Montoya signed through 2018/2019, Koskinen should be the starting goalie for Bakersfield, Edmonton's AHL affiliate. The only other goalie signed for Edmonton after this season is Shane Starrett, who will most likely play backup to Koskinen. I am fairly confident in saying that Koskinen will be Edmonton's go-to call up, as long as he doesn't majorly disappoint and Starrett doesn't majorly impress.

Miroslav Svoboda - Very similar to Rybar in terms of stats, age, and size, Svoboda was fifth in the Czech league for SV% and 4th in GAA. Svoboda played for the Czech league's best team (in regular season standings), while Rybar played for the second-best team. Svoboda will be stuck behind Rinne and Saros, and potentially Troy Grosenick in the AHL. I can vouch for Grosenick starting in Milwuakee after watching him play with the San Jose Barracuda, but it's possible that Svoboda will split time with him.

So for the next season, I'd rank them: Francouz > Koskinen > Rybar > Lankinen > Svoboda

Just in terms of their competition on their team, my ranking for them in the future is: Francouz > Rybar > Koskinen > Lankinen > Svoboda

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
What ever happened to that Swiss goalie that was unreal. Conz I think?
He's quite small for a goalie at 5'10". His stats don't really stand out all that much, aside from his international tournament play.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
We're paying Koskinen 2.5 million. I'm pretty sure he's gonna start the year with the Oilers . Word is Montoya will be dealt .

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I am very, very excited to see him in NA. I think he's the real deal. Washington will have a quandry for who to start, if they didn't already with Grubs.
Samsonov won't be ready for the NHL for a couple years. I doubt Grubauer will still be with the team at that time.
BTW there us no quandry in Washington. Grubauer us just a backup that got on a streak with a lot of his success against weaker teams.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Thanks for the post, there are a lot of interesting goalies coming (or coming back) to the NHL/AHL next season, that have played at a more established level too than usual.

I imagine at least 1 of them could surprise in the NHL next year, and several could be factors with their NHL teams over the next few years.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Samsonov won't be ready for the NHL for a couple years. I doubt Grubauer will still be with the team at that time.
BTW there us no quandry in Washington. Grubauer us just a backup that got on a streak with a lot of his success against weaker teams.
Grubauer is more than a career backup. How high that ceiling gets will depend on refinement going forward, but you undersell his ability.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
We're paying Koskinen 2.5 million. I'm pretty sure he's gonna start the year with the Oilers . Word is Montoya will be dealt .

More likely Montoya will be the starter in Bakersfield. The interesting point will be how the how the last 3 spots behind him on the depth chart get organised with Starrett, Wells, and Skinner.

I'm curious to see Koskinen, though a part of me would have rather gone out and gotten an experienced 1B for the same price; Elliot, Halak, Lehtonen, ect. If something happens to Talbot again, him I'm not liking the idea of a Koskinen/Monty tandom.

At least it's an upgrade on the Brossoit/Ellis tandem the Oil were forced to run with in December...

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Grubauer is more than a career backup. How high that ceiling gets will depend on refinement going forward, but you undersell his ability.
Grubauer has proven nothing. He needs to improve the technical part if his game if he wants to be a starter. You are overrated him based on stats against a lot if weaker teams. Other backup goalies have had very good stats but failed as a starter. Darling is a good example. People tend to focus too much on stats. The best way to judge a goalie is to watch him play.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Grubauer has proven nothing. He needs to improve the technical part if his game if he wants to be a starter. You are overrated him based on stats against a lot if weaker teams. Other backup goalies have had very good stats but failed as a starter. Darling is a good example. People tend to focus too much on stats. The best way to judge a goalie is to watch him play.
Wild, that's what I'm doing. I didn't reference stats one time, because I'm basing this off of years of perceived increases in skill and athleticism dating back to the CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad