Which numbers should be retired league wide?

Which numbers should be retired league wide?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I am okay with 99 being retired league wide because it is a unique number associated to only one player. You could apply the same logic to 66, but I would not retire it league-wide. I would not have retired 99 either, but it is done and I am not gonna bitch about it. If I were a player, I would not dare wear either though.

Reactions: El Travo

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I could see an argument for Gretzky's number not being retired but there's no good reason for any other number to be like that.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
None of the above.

I like that baseball retired 42. But that is the only league wide number retirement that make sense to me in all the sports.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
99 is obscure enough that it can only be associated with Gretzky, who also happens to be the greatest player of all time. So I don't have any major issue with it being retired league-wide. 66 can be argued, but once the train gets rolling on retiring numbers who knows when it'll end.

I'm honestly surprised (and thankful) that the NHL hasn't gone full tilt and retired 22 for O'Ree. That seems like something they'd do.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
when he retired the first time his ppg was over 2

Cool, it doent change the fact that he shouldnt be retired. Without playing into old age, Lemeiux is still beat by Gretzky in points per game and literally every other record. If we're going with points per game, should we retire Mike Bossys number league wide while were at it?

Lemieux doesnt stand alone in any aspect of hockey history. Gretzky has beat him in every single way and theres an argument thatboth Howe and Orr are better as well.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I wouldn’t even have Gretzky’s number retired league-wide. Not that I have a problem with it necessarily (mostly cause I doubt any player would even try and wear 99 anyways).

I can atleast understand why Gretzky’s number is retired. I’m almost 100% sure nobody is ever going to touch his numbers. Nobody else has anything like that going for them.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

If all you have to say is a question mark, you don't need to start a thread.

It's a DISCUSSION forum. If you're too busy to start a discussion, perhaps consider starting fewer threads instead of starting threads of lesser quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad