Which numbers should be retired league wide?

Which numbers should be retired league wide?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Only 99. Gretzky rewrote the record book and is untouchable from an all time greatest player stand point. Might be the greatest team sport athlete in history as well.

I see theres a few votes for Lemieux. I dont see any argument for a league wide retirement there. Theres arguably 2 players better than him from an all time stand point, less cups than a lot of players, theres players with more individual hardware, he didnt hit 1000 games etc. He doesnt have close to a good enough resume to be a league wide retirement

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Only 99. Gretzky rewrote the record book and is untouchable from an all time greatest player stand point. Might be the greatest team sport athlete in history as well.

I see theres a few votes for Lemieux. I dont see any argument for a league wide retirement there. Theres arguably 2 players better than him from an all time stand point, less cups than a lot of players, theres players with more individual hardware, he didnt hit 1000 games etc. He doesnt have close to a good enough resume to be a league wide retirement
when he retired the first time his ppg was over 2

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Only 3 skaters I'd consider 99 66 4

But honestly don't think any numbers should be retired league wide. What happens if 3 players show up and somehow all blow gretzkys records outta the books? Do you unretire his #??

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
None of the above, but also not 34 and also not 99.

I don't see why Gretzky being really good for a handful of teams means that no one can ever wear 99 for any team ever again. I actually lose a little bit of respect for Gretzky for every year that goes by that he doesn't demand that the league un-retire his number league-wide.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
None of the above, but also not 34 and also not 99.

I don't see why Gretzky being really good for a handful of teams means that no one can ever wear 99 for any team ever again.
Because hes the greatest team athlete in the history of any sport. "really good for a handful of teams" is underselling just how ridiculous he was.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Because hes the greatest team athlete in the history of any sport. "really good for a handful of teams" is underselling just how ridiculous he was.

Don't care. Doesn't matter. He was really, really good, cool. What does that have to do with someone who wants to wear 99 on the Blue Jackets or Predators, teams that didn't even exist when he played? Let Edmonton, LA, New York and St. Louis retire his number. Being the best isn't enough of a reason to retire it league-wide forever.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Don't care. Doesn't matter. He was really, really good, cool. What does that have to do with someone who wants to wear 99 on the Blue Jackets or Predators, teams that didn't even exist when he played? Let Edmonton, LA, New York and St. Louis retire his number. Being the best isn't enough of a reason to retire it league-wide forever.
Clearly it is and it was enough reason. Just because you dont care about history doesnt mean others don't, your interests mean nothing to the sport.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Clearly it is and it was enough reason. Just because you dont care about history doesnt mean others don't, your interests mean nothing to the sport.

Neat. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I shared mine already, so I think we can move on.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Neat. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I shared mine already, so I think we can move on.
Wasn't my opinion that he was retired league wide for being the best player, it was fact. It's my opinion that teams like Columbus and Nashville likely wouldnt even have a franchise if Gretz hadn't spread hockeys popularity in the USA, so they still owe him since they were likely his children.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wasn't my opinion that he was retired league wide for being the best player, it was fact. It's my opinion that teams like Columbus and Nashville likely wouldnt even have a franchise if Gretz hadn't spread hockeys popularity in the USA, so they still owe him since they were likely his children.

So NOW that you've shared your opinion, we can move on, right?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly if it were up to me none of them not even Gretzky

but if I can't have that the current situation of just having Gretzky's retired would be my second choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad