Which NHL players have you met and how were they?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
pretty much the entire 06-07 ducks team

i'd go to a lot of their practices and afterwards if you waited outside their parking lot, most of the players would either walk out and sign or stop their cars as they were driving away to sign for the fans waiting. i have pictures with selanne, pronger, both niedermayers, kunitz, parros, and i think bryz too.

roffleburger

Dec 21, 2011
I used to work at an upscale nightclub in Ottawa, most of my experiences are from there:

Daniel Alfredsson: He came in once, shook everyone's hands, seemed to keep to himself mostly but people kept talking to him. He looked a bit uncomfortable being at a bar, but I don't blame him since he has a family and I'm sure he has better things to do.

Erik Condra: He walked up to the bar and introduced himself (this was at the end of last season), he was pretty beat up after the NYR series, but he wasn't shy and spent some time chatting up the door staff.

Filip Kuba: He was pretty quiet for most of the night, then he got pretty bombed and was buying shots for everyone and was socializing alot. And he may or may not have made out with a larger lady.

Jason Spezza: He's come in a few times, usually with most of the guys. At their end of year party, he walks out of the bar, and hops into what he thought was his limo that was waiting outside of the bar. He immediately got out and so did an unsavory character, followed by the driver, both giving him unpleasant looks. He apologized and they seemed to relax and he went and hopped into his actual limo, which was behind the first one. We were watching from the front and a had a pretty good laugh, but thankfully it didn't escalate.

Zenon Konopka: A friend of mine (former high school buddy of his) introduced me to him, we had a couple of shots together, he was really down to earth but not super chatty.

Zack Smith: He always has a smirk on his face whenever I've seen him, which kinda reflects with his on-ice personality (from what I can tell). Seems like a laid back guy with a decent sense of humor, he and Erik Condra were making fun of each other alot.

Rob Blake: Super polite, really tall, exactly how I thought he would be.

Jeremy Roenick: Really funny guy, down to earth, was having laughs with everyone and shaking alot of hands.

John Tavares: Pretty shy but very polite, came in with his friends, had some drinks and left

Marion Gaborik: Surprisingly rude, was grabbing girls all night and got pretty wasted, pretty disappointed, but I guess not everyone is a good drunk.

Colin Greening: Not the type that seems to go out, so he was pretty reserved/quiet most of the night

Milan Michalek: Hung out with Karlsson most of the night, mostly kept to himself but was very gracious and accommodating when people approached him to talk to him or to take a picture. I've had the pleasure of meeting him and most of the Sens on many occasions as they usually have their end of year party at the bar I manage.

Erik Karlsson: He's exactly as you expect him to be, pretty normal and easy-going.

Nikita Filatov: I speak Russian so we got along pretty well, I told him I hoped he stayed in Ottawa, but he decided to pursue opportunities in Moscow lol

Claude Giroux: We were neighbors downtown for a while, I met him through a mutual acquaintance (Martin St. Pierre, who plays in the AHL primarily), so we've partied a few times. Super friendly with everyone, always happy to take pictures with people, I have not met a nicer hockey player.

Derek Brassard: Typical french kid, really friendly and polite but mostly keeps to himself.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I used to work at an upscale nightclub in Ottawa, most of my experiences are from there:

Daniel Alfredsson: He came in once, shook everyone's hands, seemed to keep to himself mostly but people kept talking to him. He looked a bit uncomfortable being at a bar, but I don't blame him since he has a family and I'm sure he has better things to do.

Erik Condra: He walked up to the bar and introduced himself (this was at the end of last season), he was pretty beat up after the NYR series, but he wasn't shy and spent some time chatting up the door staff.

Filip Kuba: He was pretty quiet for most of the night, then he got pretty bombed and was buying shots for everyone and was socializing alot. And he may or may not have made out with a larger lady.

Jason Spezza: He's come in a few times, usually with most of the guys. At their end of year party, he walks out of the bar, and hops into what he thought was his limo that was waiting outside of the bar. He immediately got out and so did an unsavory character, followed by the driver, both giving him unpleasant looks. He apologized and they seemed to relax and he went and hopped into his actual limo, which was behind the first one. We were watching from the front and a had a pretty good laugh, but thankfully it didn't escalate.

Zenon Konopka: A friend of mine (former high school buddy of his) introduced me to him, we had a couple of shots together, he was really down to earth but not super chatty.

Zack Smith: He always has a smirk on his face whenever I've seen him, which kinda reflects with his on-ice personality (from what I can tell). Seems like a laid back guy with a decent sense of humor, he and Erik Condra were making fun of each other alot.

Rob Blake: Super polite, really tall, exactly how I thought he would be.

Jeremy Roenick: Really funny guy, down to earth, was having laughs with everyone and shaking alot of hands.

John Tavares: Pretty shy but very polite, came in with his friends, had some drinks and left

Marion Gaborik: Surprisingly rude, was grabbing girls all night and got pretty wasted, pretty disappointed, but I guess not everyone is a good drunk.

Colin Greening: Not the type that seems to go out, so he was pretty reserved/quiet most of the night

Milan Michalek: Hung out with Karlsson most of the night, mostly kept to himself but was very gracious and accommodating when people approached him to talk to him or to take a picture. I've had the pleasure of meeting him and most of the Sens on many occasions as they usually have their end of year party at the bar I manage.

Erik Karlsson: He's exactly as you expect him to be, pretty normal and easy-going.

Nikita Filatov: I speak Russian so we got along pretty well, I told him I hoped he stayed in Ottawa, but he decided to pursue opportunities in Moscow lol

Claude Giroux: We were neighbors downtown for a while, I met him through a mutual acquaintance (Martin St. Pierre, who plays in the AHL primarily), so we've partied a few times. Super friendly with everyone, always happy to take pictures with people, I have not met a nicer hockey player.

Derek Brassard: Typical french kid, really friendly and polite but mostly keeps to himself.

Out of everyone in this thread, you probably met and interacted the most with NHL players.

Pretty awesome stuff dude.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Marrian Hossa: Very soft spoken and shy. I worked at a gas station and he was filling up, when i said he had a good game last night he turned beet red and wouldn't make eye contact. This was early in his career though

Mike Fisher: Had my hair cut beside him when he was a rookie. THe hair dresser asked him if he was a hockey fan, when he said yes she asked him if he was a sens fan. When he said yes she asked him if he went to many games, to which he replied "all of them, i play for them" she didn't believe him and said she never heard of him when he told her who he was.

Really nice guy, met him a handful of times after that.

Saw Christoph Schubert getting head in the public hot tub of a hotel i worked at. That was pretty funny, just gave him his space.

Was at a Denny's once and almost the entire tampa bay lightening were in there. Dave Anderchyuk was drunk off his ass, my buddy couldn't stop talking about who he was and that he was so close. Kept bugging him about an autograph and he looked very uncomfortable. When anderchyuk went to leave after the game he saw us smoking near the exit and went out the other way. My buddy laughed it off and said something about how he was washed up, and some chick walking by called him a *****.

They won the cup the next year.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Met most of the Leafs players from 99-01. Never met a bad one.

Went to Shayne Corson's restaurant during that time and saw Shayne and Darcy Tucker talking it up having a drink. My dad and I (me being 9 at the time) walked up to them and struck up a nice conversation, and they signed my jersey. Couldn't have been any nicer.

In '01 I went to Toronto to watch a few games. One of them was against Colorado and I was a huge Tanguay fan/Colorado was my 2nd favourite team. My dad pulled some strings to get us into the same hotel as the Avs. One night we were coming back from supper and who else was in the lobby but Alex Tanguay, Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Patrick Roy, and Ray Bourque. I walked past everyone to Tanguay and had my Mooseheads jersey conveniently with me along with my Avs jersey. I talked with them for a bit, got their signatures and a picture with Tanguay. All of them were really nice and Roy made a joke when I went to Tanguay saying "Ah, must be from Halifax." All but Tanguay left to walk to the restaurant they were going to and he stayed back for 5 minutes just to talk to me. Couldn't have had a better experience with NHLers.

On my 11th birthday, my dad had a charity golf tournament to play in. This was also only 10 days after Sidney Crosby was selected 1st overall in the Q draft. My dad's friend was coming to pick my dad up and he made a stop beforehand to pick up Sid. When they showed up, Sid got out and signed a Rimouski flag that I had and took a picture with me. Even at 15 years old, he was very nice to his fans.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Jason York- Nice guy soft spoken
Steve Leach- our kids played together. nice guy, really , really good dude.
Milan Lucic- Biggest hands I've ever seen.
Tuukka Rask- nice guy. Great with my son who is also a goalie.

mattcoco35

Aug 26, 2013
Calgary Alberta
Detroit Dressing Room in Calgary

I have a buddy who had some time with detroit and I was able to tag along with him when Detroit was in Calgary a couple years back. That was the Chelios era. So I met Babcock, Osgood, and couple others, and of course the now Hall of Famer Chris Chelios (I have a small man crush). All seemed like ok dudes. It was an optional skate day, so I guess they were pretty chill compared to a game day.

klomas98

Jul 1, 2013
Brett Lindros - He was absolutely smashed in Bala one night...just a wasted loser sleeping on a chair by himself in the bar. kept getting kicked out and kept sneaking back in like nobody would notice him. lol
Shane Corson - about a week earlier same bar..... put a chair in the middle of the dance floor and was challenging people to kick him out of the bar...total class act. Bass Pole if I've ever seen one.
Darcy Tucker - in Bala as well, another night.... was nice.
Jason Arnott - met him in Wasaga Beach - nice guy
Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith - In Edmonton...was bowling with my children beside their two familes for about two hours. Both very friendly and open...just totally normal guys.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've met Patrice Bergeron a couple times at my work, really, really nice and quiet guy. Not flaunting anything, if you didn't know who he was, you certainly wouldn't have guessed he was a pro athlete. Just went about his business, had no problem talking hockey to us or signing a couple autographs. He just gets what it means to be an athlete... Quiet and doesn't look for attention but no problem talking to fans when they approach.

Also he hasn't had much NHL success but I've also met Noah Welch at my work. I recognized the name and had to look up a head shot of him. :laugh: I asked him if he was a pro hockey player and he just laughed and said, "Ya." We talked a bit about hockey, both saying how it's our favorite sport to watch and play. He seemed more interested in my beer league hockey stories than he was in his own pro hockey stories too which was really cool. I never thought I would've been talking to a pro hockey player and he was more interested in what I did with my life in hockey (especially since I never played ice hockey until I was 17) than what he did with his own life.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
aha met a few,
bobby ryan, -nice
jordan eberle, -just your average teenager
kevin bieksa, - really quiet but nice
dale weise, - hung his phone up on his friend to give autographs
shaeun horcoff, - nice and likes riding in yellow cabs
mason raymond, - really nice and has a fear of hoboskyle turris - cool and i workout with him
gilbert brule - same as turris
keith ballard - by far coolest hockey player youll ever meet, told me to sell my canucks jersey and buy a range rover
luongo - god bless his soul hahah hes cool too

probally met more but cant think of any

don't we all? But seriously, what made you think that? Did he say it?

Dino 20

Jul 31, 2013
Hudson,WI
Chico Resch. He was doing TV for the North Stars at the time, and he borrowed my pen,and signed autographs for all the kids. One of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

Geo73

Jun 17, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland.
Drew Miller when he played here in Glasgow last year, took time out to talk to absolutely everyone after each game, after practise, in the mall & in the gym. Really humble and polite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad