News Article: Which NHL broadcasts are the best?

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
Ranking all 32 NHL local TV broadcasts from worst to best, according to fans
You'll have to forgive me on this one - no idea how to properly link an article. Anyways it's nice seeing the team on TSN towards the top end of the list - think they've done a bang up job.

9. Ottawa Senators​

The broadcast: TSN carries Senators games with Gord Miller on play-by-play, and Ray Ferraro, Jamie McLellan and Mike Johnson rotating on color

Local ranking: 9

National: 9

Last season: 15

The results: Senators fans notice and enjoy when games are on TSN as opposed to Sportsnet, and it was overwhelmingly pointed out that at any game on Sportsnet was more of a “Leafs broadcast.”

Miller draws rave reviews both in and out of market on Senators broadcasts. His chemistry with McLellan is also something fans made sure to point out.

“Gord and Jamie do such a good job calling the game, even if it’s a 5-1 blowout against, they still make it fun. It helps that Ottawa Facts with Noodles is the best segment in the NHL,” one Senators fan said.

The TSN studio team also got some love, with Marc Methot getting specifically mentioned as a notable addition that added insight and color to the broadcast.

The bottom line: It’s a top-notch broadcast that only got better with some studio additions in the past two seasons.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Surprised Vancouver was first. It's a good broadcast but Ottawa's is better, John Garrett isn't perfect imo. Miller and Ferraro are the gold standard and I thought McLennan would be a weak link way back when but he has really come into his own, mainly for his likeable personality. And yeah, Mike Johnson is good too, his bluntness is great.

Personally, the Avs broadcast with Moser and McNab is the best entertainment out there if you ask me.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
A bit off topic, but anyone think we're going to see Ross Levitan on a sens broadcast in the next couple years?

Guy is killing it on the Locked On Senators Podcast and seems a natural for broadcast.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think the Senators broadcast is one of the best, no doubt about it. Gord Miller is excellent as is Ray, Mike and Jamie. New person on question period and we're set imo.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
We have an extremely deep colour commentator pool, but there is a bit of a drop-off after Gord for play-by-play. Hard to compare to the Gord Miller though and I can't complain about the replacements. Man, when we were getting either Gord Miller or Chris Cuthburt every night...

R2010

May 23, 2011
The difference between the TSN and Sportsnet crew for our sens broadcast is night and day. Can't stand sportsnet. Losing Ferraro was a big loss for us but Johnson and Mclemman are both fantastic replacements. Poulin isn't half bad either. Not my fav but prefer him to Sportsnet.

Reactions: Laphroaig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad