Which metric do you use to rate a player's point production?

When saying Player X is a Y point player which metric do you choose?

• 82 game average(PPG)

• Most common range of actual number of points the player has scored over their career

Results are only viewable after voting.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I know people love their 5 vs 5 scoring, but to me a point is a point. I value PP and ES points the same.

Primary points > secondary assists, but the latter do have worth as far as I'm concerned.

As for the question: I'd say for a veteran player, it's fair to use the latter metric if you're talking in a career-sense about a player's optimal production, but for someone who is new, maybe the former is better to use in the same context.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plural

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
If a player is not utilized in a scoring role, I wouldn't use any metric because it is useless. The eye-test says more about how they help their team.

Or carefully chosen advanced stats.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I know people love their 5 vs 5 scoring, but to me a point is a point. I value PP and ES points the same.

Primary points > secondary assists, but the latter do have worth as far as I'm concerned.

As for the question: I'd say for a veteran player, it's fair to use the latter metric, but for someone who is new, maybe the former is better to use.

A point is a point but PP scoring can often fluctuate for reasons outside of a player's control. If the coaching staff decided to switch from a 2 Dman set up to a 4 forwards set up, 2 Dmen are going to have their PP points cut down to nothing despite not playing worse.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Depends on the context, could be both.

For instance, if a player is a 100 point player for 3 seasons, gets injured and only plays 60 games the next three seasons, I'd factor his points per 82 games into it since he's proven over a full season he can reach those totals as well.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
No matter what, all statistics need context. In the case of someone like Eichel who very easily could have had 70-80 points each of the past 2 seasons, I wouldn’t call him an 80 point player because he hasn’t done it. But he’s also not a 55 point player.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
All of the available stats. Can't go with either or, you need to look at every piece of info available.

Reactions: Trilliann

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
P/60 is valuable when comparing players with similar TOI/game and usage. Too often people use it to prorate what a player would produce in a bigger role, and that is incredibly flawed.

Ypu can also include assuming someone scores more on the PP if given more time.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Percentage of points for a team ie:
is a 60 point player on a team that scores 300 goals more valuable
than a 55 point player on a 250 goal team ?
( 20% of a teams scoring vs 22% )

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
why would you completely leave out power plays which are a big part of hockey? some players can use the advantage of PP's siginificantly better than others.

If you're comparing players from different teams - for forwards at least - it's the best way to level the playing field. Individual power play production and team power play success are heavily dependent on role, structure, and coaching. Except for a few teams - Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston - the league's best power plays vary dramatically from year to year, as does individual power play scoring. That's not nearly as true with 5 on 5 scoring. That indicates that 5 on 5 scoring is more repeatable, more driven by individual talent, and a more reliable indicator of a player's value.

Percentage of points for a team ie:
is a 60 point player on a team that scores 300 goals more valuable
than a 55 point player on a 250 goal team ?
( 20% of a teams scoring vs 22% )

That would rather suggest to me a team is putting all its eggs in one basket, or that there's a poor supporting cast, than that one player is necessarily better than the other.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ypu can also include assuming someone scores more on the PP if given more time.
I was more talking about projecting a linear increase in scoring with increased ice time. With the PP time you should expect some additional scoring with more time, but how much is anyone's guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad