Which line are other teams treating as Colorado's top line?

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
I just read this quote from Mackinnon,

“There’s so many good players on our team, from the front end to the back end. There’s lots for teams to worry about. It’s nice how we’re so deep,†said MacKinnon. “Teams have to pick their matchups. If they pick us for their top matchup, then they’ve got to worry about Dutchy’s line. It’s vice versa.â€

I'm curious who's line other teams are putting out their top defensive pairings and forwards against. Extraskater has matchup information but I never know enough about the other team's D to know what to make of the information.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
First off, welcome! :cheers:

And if I had to guess, I'd say teams treat Duchene's line as our top line.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Top defensive units typically go out against Duchy's line. This is usually the 3rd line shutdown crew + 1st pairing defenders. Stastny's line is out there against the other team's 1st line because of the way Roy runs the lines.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
****, you're right.

Get out of heeeere!

I have never "welcomed" a new poster and felt bad because I was welcomed with open arms in very dark times.

Damn that join date. What are you, some kind of fairweather gloryhunter?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That quote gets at why I place so much more value on keeping our forwards together than I do upgrading the d. We need another top 4 guy back there but it doesn't need to be a stud, with three lines teams have to be scared of (as we have when healthy) this team is able to do things that other teams just can't match.

It makes us special, and in a very tough western conference gives us a unique advantage, kinda like how the Blackhawks bring a different style to the table from all those pacific teams and Stl.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
That quote gets at why I place so much more value on keeping our forwards together than I do upgrading the d. We need another top 4 guy back there but it doesn't need to be a stud, with three lines teams have to be scared of (as we have when healthy) this team is able to do things that other teams just can't match.

It makes us special, and in a very tough western conference gives us a unique advantage, kinda like how the Blackhawks bring a different style to the table from all those pacific teams and Stl.

I just realized what your avatar was...

and I agree. Completely. I'd rather us not give up anyone besides pretty much pap and picks/prospects for a top 4... I'd honestly rather try my luck in FA.

We're a lot more sexy now for FA's to take reasonable contracts with now.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011

Meh I would have glady gave up 3rd round pick for a D we can play at #4 and have less heart attacks all around

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
lol I'm on here on my phone most of the time so had forgotten about my Avi. If Varly could grow a natural Zanon-beard they'd have to give him the vezina.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Kinda one easy way I look at match-ups is the starting lines for each team and you see what they are trying to do with the match-up there.

MacKinnon had another great quote today about being excited his line has been solidified and they can work on chemistry now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Meh I would have glady gave up 3rd round pick for a D we can play at #4 and have less heart attacks all around

Who wouldn't? But that guy clearly wasn't out there for us. AMac is the closest thing to a top 4 dman who moved and he's somewhere between Zanon and Quincey on the defensive-****tard scale, and about to get paid around twice what he's worth in the summer.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Who wouldn't? But that guy clearly wasn't out there for us. AMac is the closest thing to a top 4 dman who moved and he's somewhere between Zanon and Quincey on the defensive-****tard scale, and about to get paid around twice what he's worth in the summer.

Yeah, it's clear we weren't going for rentals.

The Zanon-Quincey scale of defensive inadequacy, coming to a math textbook near you!

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I hope we remember this non trade deadline this summer.. I remember the avs not spending money over and over, one reason
I did not get season tickets back when I had money....
So, lets hope together the avs, which currently look well managed , can get two really good deals on d men this summer. I cannot rememberthe last guy to come up through our ranks from AHL< help me here( hear) who was the best player we elevated from AHL.. Barrie?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This is the same problem teams had to deal with when he had Foppa and Joe. Foppa's line generally got the tough clutch and grab monsters like Hatcher and Joes line usually got the faster rear guards like Sydor and Zubov.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think most nights start off with Duchene drawing the other teams top pairing, but I think it changes as the game plays out. Meaning if Stastny's line is killing it, they probably switch it up and put them out there and hope its one of those night where Duchene's line looks off.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I just read this quote from Mackinnon,

“There’s so many good players on our team, from the front end to the back end. There’s lots for teams to worry about. It’s nice how we’re so deep,†said MacKinnon. “Teams have to pick their matchups. If they pick us for their top matchup, then they’ve got to worry about Dutchy’s line. It’s vice versa.â€

I'm curious who's line other teams are putting out their top defensive pairings and forwards against. Extraskater has matchup information but I never know enough about the other team's D to know what to make of the information.

Great first post, welcome! :handclap:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I hope we remember this non trade deadline this summer.. I remember the avs not spending money over and over, one reason
I did not get season tickets back when I had money....
So, lets hope together the avs, which currently look well managed , can get two really good deals on d men this summer. I cannot rememberthe last guy to come up through our ranks from AHL< help me here( hear) who was the best player we elevated from AHL.. Barrie?

Shattenkirk (although his development was out-sourced to Boston University.) Matin Skoula (only played one game with the Hershey Bears before joining the AVs.) The next closest would be Boychuk...but the AVs only elevated him to play wing on the 4th line with Kyle Cumiskey, he only blossomed on the NHL stage after being traded to Boston. After that you kinda need to look at Cumiskey or Jeff Finger. The quality of D developed by the Avalanche in the AHL is bleak at best and I think this needs to eventually be addressed. Even guys like Kurt Sauer who was originally drafted but never signed panned out to be ok. He eventually was signed by the Ducks (under Babcock's tenure) and was traded back to the AVs (for Skoula) but never really became a top guy.

The AVs simply have not been good at developing dmen through their AHL clubs. After doing some digging, it really looks like a lot of the dmen either bust or were developed at the college level and never really made it the NHL for the AVs.

Keeping in mind that the team is offense oriented I can sort of get it but still...I really hope Barrie's growth continues and he has a successful career and really hope something also comes of Siemens and Elliott.

The AVs also traded some good dmen prospects (Regher) under PL when the team was operating under an open pocketbook and no salary cap...no telling how he might have panned out if he'd stayed "in the system" though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00