Which legendary European players should make the Hall of Fame?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Nikolai Sologubov

Nikolai Sologubov seems to have been the top Soviet defenseman in their formative years. Three times named best d-man at the world championships.

His career was cut short by his untimely death in 1972, but I've heard Lennart Svedberg called the Paul Coffey of Swedish defensemen. He was named best d-man at the 1970 WHC.

Realistic portrayal of Nikolai Sologubov would be looking at the USSR performance against Canadian amateur teams during his tenure:

http://www.chidlovski.net/1954/54_player_info.asp?p_id=s034

Sologubov played eight games against Canada 1W - 7L - the win being the 1956 Olympic gold medal game.The results 0-5,2-0,2-7,2-4,1-3,5-8,3-5,1-5 or a total of 16 GF and 37 GA.

This would be in games against teams like the Whitby Dunlops with Charlie Burns, Connie Broden, Harry Sinden and Sid Smith as the playing coach or the Kitchener Waterloo Dutchmen with loaners like Bobby Rousseau and Cliff Pennington as recognizable names.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm suggesting Sologubov under the Hall of Fame pretense, rather than Hall of Greatest Players assumption that a lot of people go by. Bobrov, Zabrodsky, and Malacek would be in the same boat. Players who were likely only on par with Canadian amateurs, but as the greatest of their generation in traditional hockey-playing countries, I'd support their inductions if the Hall were to start inducting past European greats.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Founders Wing

I'm suggesting Sologubov under the Hall of Fame pretense, rather than Hall of Greatest Players assumption that a lot of people go by. Bobrov, Zabrodsky, and Malacek would be in the same boat. Players who were likely only on par with Canadian amateurs, but as the greatest of their generation in traditional hockey-playing countries, I'd support their inductions if the Hall were to start inducting past European greats.

You may have an excellent case for an "International Founders Wing" in the HHOF,players who popularized the sport in their country by excelling in the international tournaments before the amateurs were merged with the pros. The only obstacle would be that such a category may detract from the existing IIHF hall of fame.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

I would not support this. The Hall should be (not that it is) the best of the best. The IIHF can have those guys for their significant and important contributions to their respective hockey programs.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I would not support this. The Hall should be (not that it is) the best of the best. The IIHF can have those guys for their significant and important contributions to their respective hockey programs.

Well that's the thing, there is no clearly defined criteria for the Hall. I don't mind the idea C1958 proposes. You could induct a bunch of players en masse, it wouldn't have to be like the usual November induction ceremony. Lets visitors to the HOF learn about past greats that they probably wouldn't have even heard of before and maybe gets them some publicity in the media and encourages others to learn. They would have their own category under this proposal, so I don't see what the problem would be.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

If you induct European stars, Bobrov and Zabrodsky have to be inducted into the Hall. They put hockey on the map in their countries, similar to how some Canadian and American amateurs from the early days are in the Hall. Sure, there's a question of how good they actually are, but it's a question, not an answer. I wouldn't induct Sologubov, though - I don't think he was nearly as important as Bobrov historically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad