Which kids are ready

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I voted Palat, Johnson, Panik, Connolly, Brown, Taormina, and Wyman although he's not really a kid. I think all these guys can play in the NHL but I think only Palat, Johnson, and Panik actually make the team out of camp. I think they're a clear cut better than everyone else. I'm also hesitant to say Barberio. I'm not so sure he's good enough defensively right now to stick it in the NHL.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I voted Palat, Johnson, and Panik. Connolly could use one more season in the A I think. Recall him in case of injury.

But the other three are ready. And, if I'm honest with myself, even though our center depth isn't great, I could see Johnson being traded.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I voted Palat, Johnson, and Panik. Connolly could use one more season in the A I think. Recall him in case of injury.

But the other three are ready. And, if I'm honest with myself, even though our center depth isn't great, I could see Johnson being traded.

I don't see him getting moved unless a good defender is coming back.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Ya, Johnson, Panik, and Palat seem like the three who will make it out of camp. Connolly and Barberio probably need another year, but are excellent back-ups when we will need them. Taorimina and Brown both could also be good back-ups, but I dont see either making it out of the training camp.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Obviously, the big three (TyJo, Palat, Panik).

I think both Connolly and Barberio would benefit from another year (mainly) in the AHL.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Was lucky to see a Crunch playoff game this year and Palat and Gudas were both head and shoukders above everyone else. Panik was injured and didn't play. Johnson was good but appeared greatly dependent on Palat to do the work and make the space but is a great finisher. Desjardins looked terrible. I don't think his style will work for long stretches in the league, he plays like a low rent Quick. These are of course one game observations.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Palat, Johnson, and Panik showed they're ready for the NHL during their stint last season.

Barberio, Brown, and Sustr will most likely be the first ones called up.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Connolly isn't ready from what we've seen last year, he completely loses his confidence once he hits NHL ice, he doesn't do his thing in front of the net, and is very conservative with his play in the big league.

It's really not worth giving up a roster spot in the top-6 just so Connolly can develop confidence and he really isn't suited for a 3rd/4th line NHL role.

Syracuse Crunch fan

Apr 28, 2003
Syracuse
Visit site
I went with the Crunch top line like most. I still see Connolly getting traded. Brown and Vlady need another year. Barberio...he's good, and played very well in stretches. Want to see him dominate. At this point he's a bottom pair guy, but could be a second pair if he takes another step. He's got to do that here. He won't get the ice time with the big club to take that step.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I went with the Crunch top line like most. I still see Connolly getting traded. Brown and Vlady need another year. Barberio...he's good, and played very well in stretches. Want to see him dominate. At this point he's a bottom pair guy, but could be a second pair if he takes another step. He's got to do that here. He won't get the ice time with the big club to take that step.

What about korobov? I hears he's a rock out there. Any truth to that? How far away do you think he is?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Korobov is going to be a much more patient path to the NHL. I think hes quite solid, but the GR series exposed him a few times and he should have some stuff to work on this offseason.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Johnson, Palat, and Panik. Connolly doesn't look ready, sky's post hit the nail on the head.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Connolly isn't ready from what we've seen last year, he completely loses his confidence once he hits NHL ice, he doesn't do his thing in front of the net, and is very conservative with his play in the big league.

It's really not worth giving up a roster spot in the top-6 just so Connolly can develop confidence and he really isn't suited for a 3rd/4th line NHL role.

Not that I disagree, but is there any other viable way for Connolly to get NHL-level confidence?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Brett Connolly is 21 ('92).
When he used his decent size in the AHL, he was a real force around the net. When he slacked off or shied away from the traffic areas, he disappeared.
He took major steps this season in Syracuse. He was consistently producing with Devos and a revolving winger.

He wasn't trusted in the playoffs in defensively important situations. That's not awful though, he doesn't project as a 3rd/4th line winger with PK ability. Johnson, Palat, Brown, Wyman, Angelidis...these guys did the heavy lifting in defensive situations. They're all older and better at the two way game than Connolly. None of those other players has the ceiling Connolly does though.

I think Brett Connolly's confidence is the only issue holding him back. I'm really interested in camp for him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not that I disagree, but is there any other viable way for Connolly to get NHL-level confidence?

I think it's something he needs to work out himself, it's just more like general self confidence. There's less pressure in the AHL, significantly lower fans, not everything you do is mirco-analyzed, he seems a lot more comfortable there.

Not really sure what others can really do for him about this though, I'm sure he's been told a plethora of times by the veterans and coaches to just relax out there.

IMO I don't see the "drive" in Connolly to prove himself and go above and beyond, he just seems like he wants to "fit in" in the NHL, this is probably the main reason I supported trading Connolly over a guy like Conacher, who's just dead set on proving critics wrong.

Syracuse Crunch fan

Apr 28, 2003
Syracuse
Visit site
What about korobov? I hears he's a rock out there. Any truth to that? How far away do you think he is?

As was said earlier, Korobov is still a couple years away. He has a lot of potential to be a solid two-way guy. He played his best when paired with Gudas, was not nearly as good when he didn't have him as a partner. Another year here with more confidence will do him a lot of good. I would put him third on the Crunch after Barberio and Taormina right now (didn't see enough of the new kids to really say).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad