Which journeyman goalie will have the most success?

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I'd go with Smith, at last he has a solid defense in front of him, it'll be interesting to see what he can do.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Smith has the best chance though I still don't like this move from the Flames Pov. They should have paid he price and got a clear cut starter

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I am really curious if any of these guys can turn their teams around. Smith might not be a journeyman, but he's a goalie being given a chance to take over the role for a team that has sorely needed a #1. Any thoughts?

Jacob Markstrom is a journeyman goalie? This is only his second team.

I'd argue Ben Bishop better fits the description but he'd probably ruin the poll.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Jacob Markstrom is a journeyman goalie? This is only his second team.

I'd argue Ben Bishop better fits the description but he'd probably ruin the poll.

Ya journeyman wasn't the right term. I was thinking more of guys who weren't the answer elsewhere migrating to a new team that is desperate for solid goaltending. So many intriguing options this year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
My only fear with Mason, is the amount of penalties the Jets take.

Mason has been good at ES, but weaker on the PK than expected.

Even in the "awful" playoffs against Washington, I believe he only allowed 4 ES goals in the 3 games. He got shelled on the PK although our PK strategy was awful and they changed it the game Neuvirth took over.

If they can cut down on the penalties, I think Mason leads them to the playoffs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think journeyman means hes played on like a bunch a diffrent teams

If that is the definition then Smith hardly fits. This is his first new team in seven seasons, and before that he wasn't a starter.

It's an interesting group of goalies, and hard to compare. 2 legitimate starters (Smith and Mason), 1 fringe starter (Elliot), and 2 guys who could establish themselves as legit starters this season (Greiss and Markstrom).

Short term, I'm voting for Mason, but Hellebuyck will take over as starter at some point I believe.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
yup i couldn't vote for Smith because he's been a starter for years. the Flames other failed goalie, Chad Johnson, would have been a better choice because he's had success in the past as a good quality backup who's been asked to start.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If that is the definition then Smith hardly fits. This is his first new team in seven seasons, and before that he wasn't a starter.

It's an interesting group of goalies, and hard to compare. 2 legitimate starters (Smith and Mason), 1 fringe starter (Elliot), and 2 guys who could establish themselves as legit starters this season (Greiss and Markstrom).

Short term, I'm voting for Mason, but Hellebuyck will take over as starter at some point I believe.

I specifically say that on Smith's option lol

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Markstrom and Mason are journeymen now :laugh:

Next poll: Which journeyman winger will have the most success?
T.J. Oshie
Milan Lucic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad