Which is the Better Moment: The Miracle on Ice or the 1972 Summit Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagr81

Jul 15, 2006
Hockeytown
I personally think Miracle on Ice, but it will come down to Americans saying Miracle on Ice and Canadians will say the 72 summit series

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I personally think Miracle on Ice, but it will come down to Americans saying Miracle on Ice and Canadians will say the 72 summit series

Most likely, and there's nothing wrong with that. But the Miracle team was just amazing. A bunch of nobodies against a bunch of pros. Not to mention the fact of the patriotism that was going on at that time at Lake Placid. I wasn't around to remember it, but I've read quite alot about it and I sure wish I could've seen it. Was a special moment for not only hockey fans, but for the USA as a whole.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

I loved every minute of it, I'd highly recommend it. The picture quality isn't great on the games broadcast from the Soviet Union, but it's still worth it.

Granted, I wasn't alive for either of these, I have to think that the Miracle on Ice probably meant more. The Canadians were expected to win against the Soviets beforehand (at least by North Americans) and though the first half of the series didn't go well, it wasn't outside the realm of possibility to win. With the Miracle on Ice, it was much more of an upset.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
They weren't even expected to compete at all. When we tied the Czechs, who were the second best team in the world at the time, the buzz started.

They tied the Swedes and beat the Czechs 7-4.

Miracle on Ice. It helped revitalized the entire country.

Bryzga lol*

But the Canadians were favorites to win in the series. U.S. was not supposed to beat the Russians

Yes and it made Canadians realize that we aren't the world's lone hockey power.

The summit series was beyond hockey. It was communism vs. democracy. We were getting to see all this brand new team that was coached and treated in a totally different way than the Canadian team. The series wouldn't have been that important if it had not been decided by a single goal.

It basically does break down to whether you're Canadian or American to pick the most important (with the odd exceptions from both countries). But saying that the series was less important because Canada wasn't an underdog is a poor argument. There were many other aspects of that series that made it what it was.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Which is the better moment? The Miracle on Ice or the 1972 Summit Series?(specifically, Paul Henderson's series-clinching goal)

I don't think ANYTHING can compare to the Miracle on Ice. I mean, it was the ultimate sports upset. Enough said!

It was, but you guys had nothing to lose. Did your whole country shut down to watch that game?

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
If Bobby Clarke didn't mess up Kharlamov's ankle, there's a good chance Canada would of lost the Summit series. It was also the first time the elite canadian players played against the elite USSR players.

In the second period, Bobby Clarke deliberately slashed Valery Kharlamov's ankle, fracturing it. Years later, John Ferguson, Sr., an assistant coach with Team Canada, was quoted as saying "I called Clarke over to the bench, looked over at Kharlamov and said, 'I think he needs a tap on the ankle.'

Summit series > miracle on ice

GNick42

I would say '72 Summit Series...it lasted for almost a month. Miracle on Ice was only one game

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Resultwise I didn't like either since these Soviets were my favourite international team (except the Germans of course) but the games of the 72 series are better than the miracle IMO.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I would say '72 Summit Series...it lasted for almost a month. Miracle on Ice was only one game

You realize they played more than one hockey game at the Olympics? And the Miracle on Ice was more about USA's whole run for the Gold than one game.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yes and it made Canadians realize that we aren't the world's lone hockey power.

The summit series was beyond hockey. It was communism vs. democracy. We were getting to see all this brand new team that was coached and treated in a totally different way than the Canadian team. The series wouldn't have been that important if it had not been decided by a single goal.

It basically does break down to whether you're Canadian or American to pick the most important (with the odd exceptions from both countries). But saying that the series was less important because Canada wasn't an underdog is a poor argument. There were many other aspects of that series that made it what it was.
are you kidding me?

If you are going to use that rationale, who had the greater Cold War Rivalry with the USSR? America or Canada?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
when looking at the Miracle on Ice, you also have to look at the failed Iranian hostage rescue, the push of the soviets in afganistan i beleive, the troubled U S economy at the time, and the gas rations and lines country wide........

and then a bunch of college kids beating the big bad russians in a sport most americans couldnt even care about but that russians were supposed to be so traditionaly dominant in.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad