Which is more likely - Colorado finishing last or Ottawa winning the Cup?

Which is more likely next season - Avalanche finishing last overall or Senators winning the Cup?

• Total voters

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Colorado finishing last would only require absurdities within one team, perhaps MacKinnon & Makar sustaining major injuries sidelining them for nearly the whole season. Ottawa winning the cup would require many absurdities to all align together.
Pretty sure Makar, the entire 1st line, and Kuemper could all be injured all season and they'd still finish above Arizona and Buffalo.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To be honest, when SJ acquired EK, how many people saw them plummeting the way they did?

But then again, Montreal last year could very well be Ottawa this year, so both have some legitimacy--in theory. Ottawa's scenario is more likely, though, mostly because Ottawa is not the worst team in the league, while Colorado is close to the best.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What if it was Buffalo? lol.
Still would pick buffalo. Sure it's unlikely they'd even make the playoffs, but stranger things have happened.

And as unlikely as it sounds, it's even more unlikely for a team like Colorado to lose 50+ games.

Reactions: Cloned

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Colorado finishing last is more likely.

If Mackinnon + Makar + Rantanen became injured there would be a chance it could happen.

In order for Ottawa to win the cup they probably need all their young guys to hit full potential at once, and then need to hit a few teams in the playoffs on real slides. Just don't see it happening.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
With the whole pandemic thing, maybe Colorado has to forfeit the season or something?

Capture-2.jpg

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Interestingly the probabilities are the same. 1/32 = 16/32*1/2^4 (3.125%).

Given that it takes 82 games to finish last, but 82+16 games to win a cup, I'd lean toward Colorado keeping all else equal. With all else not being equal then the answer depends on how much better Colorado is compared to the worst team, versus how much worse Ottawa is compared to the top 16 teams * how much worse Ottawa is compared to each of it's 4 playoff opponents.

At minimum those 1/2 chances become much less than 50% as Ottawa advances further into the playoffs since the margin between teams will become greater. Think if you were to somehow do a game by game probability analysis, the answer would be Colorado having an easier time bottoming out than Ottawa winning the cup. This is probably borne out by intuition as well since we routinely seen the president's trophy teams lose in the playoffs, whereas the team finishing last has no additional requirements to fufill.

If the Poll was - Ottawa winning the Presidents trophy and the Cup VS Colorado finishing last and winning the lottery - I would have more trouble choosing. That would be 1/32*1/16 VS 1/32*1/2^4, which also presents the same chance per team (0.195%) but is harder intuitively since complexity is introduced for both parties, rather than just Ottawa in the OP.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Interestingly the probabilities are the same. 1/32 = 16/32*1/2^4 (3.125%).

Given that it takes 82 games to finish last, but 82+16 games to win a cup, I'd lean toward Colorado keeping all else equal. With all else not being equal then the answer depends on how much better Colorado is compared to the worst team, versus how much worse Ottawa is compared to the top 16 teams * how much worse Ottawa is compared to each of it's 4 playoff opponents.

At minimum those 1/2 chances become much less than 50% as Ottawa advances further into the playoffs since the margin between teams will become greater. Think if you were to somehow do a game by game probability analysis, the answer would be Colorado having an easier time bottoming out than Ottawa winning the cup. This is probably borne out by intuition as well since we routinely seen the president's trophy teams lose in the playoffs, whereas the team finishing last has no additional requirements to fufill.

If the Poll was - Ottawa winning the Presidents trophy and the Cup VS Colorado finishing last and winning the lottery - I would have more trouble choosing. That would be 1/32*1/16 VS 1/32*1/2^4, which also presents the same chance per team (0.195%) but is harder intuitively since complexity is introduced for both parties, rather than just Ottawa in the OP.

I think it's a lot more likely that a bad team sneaks into the playoffs and then rides a hot goalie vs a bad team winning the presidents trophy. History would agree with this.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ottawa was at something like a 90 or 100 point pace after their disastrous first 15 games last year.

If the point of the question was to ask whether a bad team had a better chance of winning the cup, well you picked the wrong example. Ottawa has a much better chance of winning the cup than the Avs do of finishing last.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar, Girard, Toews and Kuemper all get injured for the whole season, Avs would probably finish last. I guess that's more likely than Ottawa winning the cup

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Easier for a team to be bad than a team to be good.

Also health could wipe out the Avs, there is no magic potion to win a SC with a team in the situation Ottawa is in as it's unlikely that they even make the playoffs as not only would they have to be really good then get incredibly lucky, 4 or 5 teams would have to have incredibly bad luck as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All it takes is a few injuries for Colorado.

Ottawa probably isn’t a playoff contender next season, but I don’t think they are so bad that it’s impossible they make it.

Both are very unlikely. I see it as slightly more likely Ottawa wins the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad