Which is a greater need, wingers who can score or D-men who can transition the puck to the forwards?

Bigger need?

• Total voters

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Going forward, well likely have 2 of Yamamoto/Benson/JP int he top 6 as good wingers, which will help a lot.
its almost as bad as banking on Bouchard\Bear\Jones as our saviors going forward.

This thread needs examples.. Who would you rather have? Tyler Johnson or Jared Spurgeon if the cost was the same?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Going forward, well likely have 2 of Yamamoto/Benson/JP int he top 6 as good wingers, which will help a lot.

And by that logic, going forward we’ll likely have Jones and Bouchard who both transition the puck well. What’s your point then?

And as of right now, the only guy who’s played (even briefly) at a top 6/top 4 level in the NHL is Jones. Pulju’s looking more and more like he’s going to be a 30 point, two way, 3rd liner, and Yamamoto and Benson are more boom/bust. Counting on those guys to score is what got us into this mess this year.

its almost as bad as banking on Bouchard\Bear\Jones as our saviors going forward.

This thread needs examples.. Who would you rather have? Tyler Johnson or Jared Spurgeon if the cost was the same?

Johnson without question. Another 55-60 point forward would be HUGE for this team right now

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
We don't have any Taylor Halls left that we can trade so yes, if now taking several years is what it takes, then that's what it takes.

No more dumb shortcuts to "fix the D".

Agree. Sadly we are at a point of having to wait and develop within.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How is it possible that this team is STILL in this position 4 years after drafting McDavid?
Its impressive that they have been able to maintain this high level of incompetence.

I heard people suggest that the Oilers would ruin McDavid when they lucked into winning the lottery.
It pissed me off at the time but if the team doesn't ruin McDavid they will for certain mismanage the opportunity.
No doubt in my mind.

In any event it will be easier to address the Wing so thats what I expect...or should I say HOPE they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How is it possible that this team is STILL in this position 4 years after drafting McDavid?

I heard people suggest that the Oilers would ruin McDavid when they lucked into winning the lottery.
It pissed me off at the time but if the team doesn't ruin McDavid they will for certain mismanage the opportunity.
No doubt in my mind.
Because they foolishly assumed McDavid was an instant win button.

I've said it a thousand times. After the Oilers made the playoffs they should've improved the team further to mitigate any setbacks.

That summer might've ruined McDavid's chances at ever competing for a cup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Rattie caused it in the Philly game, and you can blame Russell if you want in the Montreal game, but Koskinen played it terribly, and should have stopped it

Exactly. There is no excusing Koskinen on that play.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Rattie caused it in the Philly game, and you can blame Russell if you want in the Montreal game, but Koskinen played it terribly, and should have stopped it

That play doesn't happen if Russell doesn't get completely owned at the line. As for the Montreal game, Russell gave Drouin all the time and space in the world to walk into a prime scoring area.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That play doesn't happen if Russell doesn't get completely owned at the line. As for the Montreal game, Russell gave Drouin all the time and space in the world to walk into a prime scoring area.

And Russell doesn’t get completely owned if Rattie doesn’t give him the puck when he has nowhere to go. It was a stupid pass by Rattie

Reactions: OilyNation

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
And Russell doesn’t get completely owned if Rattie doesn’t give him the puck when he has nowhere to go. It was a stupid pass by Rattie

Nowhere to go? He had a ton of time and space; could have turned back into his own zone or skated up and dumped the puck deep instead of just trying to eat it along the boards.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nowhere to go? He had a ton of time and space; could have turned back into his own zone or skated up and dumped the puck deep instead of just trying to eat it along the boards.

Rattie threw it into the boards, so he had to actually turn an pick it up. This is when he’s actually able to get the puck. You call that a ton of time and space?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Rattie threw it into the boards, so he had to actually turn an pick it up. This is when he’s actually able to get the puck. You call that a ton of time and space?

Any particular reason he decided to stop and turn backwards with the puck when he was outmanned there? All he had to do was chip it up and out, which is usually all he's good for.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Defenseman have a bigger impact. Watching the Sharks and Predators who both have average forward groups still manage to score goals because the defense can make the forwards so much better. Watch the Bruins/Caps game yesterday. Not only did the Bs defense shut down the Caps, Torey Krug set up the only goal of the game with a high-iq cross ice pass. I think good offensive dman would make our mediocre forwards look so much better.

That said, there’s only so much you can do with a pto signing as your best natural winger. Our defense is far from ideal, but Klefbom, Nurse, and Larsson are still quality players. The same can’t be said about our wingers.

Basically dman have more of an impact, wingers are more of a need. It’s really a toss up, I voted wing because of the lower acquisition cost.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Yamamoto is a wasted pick.

Im sorry any way you cut it. This is a wasted pick. Small, soft, not as fast as other smaller skilled guys, enigmatic.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Any particular reason he decided to stop and turn backwards with the puck when he was outmanned there? All he had to do was chip it up and out, which is usually all he's good for.

Because his options were ice it, or try and turn around and skate back... Rattie threw it into the boards, and bailed for a change, causing the goal. That’s not on Russell in the slightest. That’s on Rattie. No wonder people think we need dmen when the forwards screw up, and people blame it on the dmen.

Reactions: OilyNation and LaGu

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Because his options were ice it, or try and turn around and skate back... Rattie threw it into the boards, and bailed for a change, causing the goal.

But he did neither. He turned and pinned the puck to the boards like he was trying to freeze it instead of getting rid of it when the pressure came.

that’s not on Russell in the slightest. That’s on Rattie. No wonder people think we need dmen when the forwards screw up, and people blame it on the dmen.

You're right: Rattie should have recognized that Russell sucks and dumped the puck in and changed. It wasn't a good pass, but Russell's brain completely short circuited there AND he got humiliated by JvR.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That said, there’s only so much you can do with a pto signing as your best natural winger. Our defense is far from ideal, but Klefbom, Nurse, and Larsson are still quality players. The same can’t be said about our wingers.

Exactly. No one is saying we shouldn’t tweak the defense if something comes up, but at least there are good dmen back there. When the ship is sinking, start with the biggest leak (the wingers), and deal with the smaller ones (the dmen and goaltending) when you can.

But he did neither. He turned and pinned the puck to the boards like he was trying to freeze it instead of getting rid of it when the pressure came.

You're right: Rattie should have recognized that Russell sucks and dumped the puck in and changed.

He tried to skate backwards, hence him turning and starting to skate back... The guy was just already on him, because Rattie made a bad read, and a worse pass

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The D is Klefbom Larsson Nurse Bouchard and Jones probably going forward.

We just have to develop that core. Would I like Pronger back there? Of course but that's not likely happening.

Yes in an isolated sense if one had a choice between Dahlin or Hughes or something you take Dahlin, but the Oilers are not in that situation.

The next GM has to work on building a talented group of forwards around McDavid, the D is more or less alright if Klefbom stops getting injured for 3/4 games he's played in the last 4 years. And Bouchard hopefully can develop into a Klefbom tier D.

The D we have is OK if Klef can stay healthy and Bouchard can develop alright. They key now is becoming a team that has at least two scoring lines (thanks Chia) so McDavid has some help. We are never going to be some super D built team. We need to become more like Pittsburgh and Toronto.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He tried to skate backwards, hence him turning and starting to skate back... The guy was just already on him, because Rattie made a bad read, and a worse pass

The bad pass started the sequence, but there were a series of unfortunate events that followed that that you keep ignoring for some bizarre reason.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Defenseman have a bigger impact. Watching the Sharks and Predators who both have average forward groups still manage to score goals because the defense can make the forwards so much better. Watch the Bruins/Caps game yesterday. Not only did the Bs defense shut down the Caps, Torey Krug set up the only goal of the game with a high-iq cross ice pass. I think good offensive dman would make our mediocre forwards look so much better.

Basically dman have more of an impact, wingers are more of a need. It’s really a toss up, I voted wing because of the lower acquisition cost.

This is very well said. I have flip-flopped twice now on this vote due to some good arguments in here, but I think this is where I land. I think magically landing a Karlsson level offensive dman would be completely game-changing for the team. McDavid would suddenly have so much time and space to play with. BUT at the same time, our wings are just pathetic, and yes, we at least have 3 pretty respectable defenders going forward in Klefbom, Nurse, and Larsson. We're way more barren up front, mostly as a result of how many roster spots there are - and playing McDavid/Drai/RNH defencemen minutes clearly isn't working.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Because they foolishly assumed McDavid was an instant win button.

I've said it a thousand times. After the Oilers made the playoffs they should've improved the team further to mitigate any setbacks.

That summer might've ruined McDavid's chances at ever competing for a cup.

Completely agree... that summer was a major setback and one that tarnished all of our assets.

We keep digging ourselves into a hole.

And it would be one thing if we'd made the decisions that summer based on logic, but we didn't Eberle was traded that summer based on emotion IMO. He was deemed a lazy guy you couldn't win with after two playoff series and removed because of that.

I am never a "hate the old boys" guy, but that decision smacks of one that could only have been influenced by the old guard.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Completely agree... that summer was a major setback and one that tarnished all of our assets.

We keep digging ourselves into a hole.

And it would be one thing if we'd made the decisions that summer based on logic, but we didn't Eberle was traded that summer based on emotion IMO. He was deemed a lazy guy you couldn't win with after two playoff series and removed because of that.

I am never a "hate the old boys" guy, but that decision smacks of one that could only have been influenced by the old guard.
It was a braindead decision based on the fear of an offer sheet that likely wasn't going to come in addition to Eberle having a poor playoffs.

We had a ton of cap space that year and never used it. And now it's all gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad