Which "High End" Team Brought in Most Young Talent This Year?

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
As much as the Rangers have been laughed at for their penchant for trading picks, they were still able to bring in JT Miller, Kevin Hayes, Jesper Fast and solidify Talbot as a true NHL goalie this season.

Curious what other teams that competed at a high level this year brought in as many rookies or unproven talent and had them mesh well in a winning environment?

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Calgary - Monahan, Gaudreau, Jooris, Ferland. They solidified Backlund as a very good two-way center, Brodie as an excellent D-man, and Ramo as a reliable starting goalie.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Habs brought in: Beaulieu, Pateryn, De La Rose, Tokarski. Hudson could win rookie of the year in the AHL & Condon could be in the NHL by next year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As much as the Rangers have been laughed at for their penchant for trading picks, they were still able to bring in JT Miller, Kevin Hayes, Jesper Fast and solidify Talbot as a true NHL goalie this season.

Curious what other teams that competed at a high level this year brought in as many rookies or unproven talent and had them mesh well in a winning environment?

Tampa had some guys develop in their second year (Triplets really came together - Johnson and Palat were good last year but Kucherov friggin blew up).

Vasilevskiy made the jump, Nesterov jumped over like three guys on the depth chart and forced himself into the line up. Guys like Paquette, Namestnikov, and Drouin became NHL regulars if not huge producers out of the gate.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Ottawa - Stone, Lazar, Hoffman, Pageau, Ceci, Weircioch and to an extent Puempel and Prince in short stints. Some are 2nd year players that solidified their roles on the team and NHL.

TurdFerguson

Jul 29, 2012
What is considered a high end team? We could arbitrarily define it as a team that has made the playoffs for the last 5 years.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Hawks brought in TvR out of camp but he got injured after 18 games and never came back to the Hawks. Teravainen had a couple cups of coffee in the regular season but looks to be firmly ensconced now in the playoffs.

So, this season - not too much.

Ask this question at this time next year and I'm pretty sure there will be at least 4 if not 5 young players playing regular shifts for the Hawks ... but then maybe they won't be "high-end" next season with so many young players ... we'll see.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Ottawa and Calgary barely made the playoffs this year after missing last year. I don't think that's at all what the OP is looking for. It seems obvious to me that he is referring to teams that have been good/elite for a couple years and got even better this year with young talent, not teams that have gone from suck to competitive.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
So seems like a very arbitrary way of saying look how good the Rangers are haha.

I assume Tampa Bays sophomores don't count either

BamaWing

May 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Maybe we're not top end anymore but Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan al have solidified spots in the lineup.

Marchenko showed some promise and could end up being 7th round steal for us that has big part of our future.

Mrazek showed his potential in the playoffs and lots of people want him to be the starter opening day next season.

Pulkkinen went back and forth after finishing the ahl season leader in goals although missing a lot of time in Grand Rapids. Right now in playoffs last time I saw his stats he's 12 goals 1 assist in playoffs while scoring a crazy amount of goals in his like 15 or 20 games.

Mantha, Athanasiou, Oullet, Bertuzzi, and Larkin seem to be next prospects in the pipeline.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think Tampa is the correct a answer, they didnt nesssarily bring them in this season but they did last season and they made a huge impact this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad