Which group of teams has more intense rivalries with the Coyotes?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Pacific Division is basically two rivalry pods - one based in Western Canada, the other in the US.

The Coyotes are the only team in the division not in Cali or Canada.

So, which of these groups of teams are more bitter rivals of Arizona: the geographically closer California teams (Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose), or the Western Canadian teams (Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver) whose rivalries with the Coyotes date back to when the franchise was still the Winnipeg Jets?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I would say the California teams more so if someone put a gun to my head, but we really don't have a rivalry with anyone at the moment. There was a lot of animosity between the Mighty Ducks, and Coyotes for like 2 years or so after their '97 playoff series, but it's long since cooled off.

There was also somewhat of a rivalry developing with Los Angeles during the 2012 season, which came to a head during the WCF that year, but since we've missed the playoffs the last 2 years, the animosity between the Kings and Coyotes seems to have cooled somewhat.

So all in all, we pretty much have no rivals.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
There are days when I think that just about everyone North of the Border hates us, just because we exist.

Funny.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Coyotes fans mostly hate the Kings. I think we hate them more than they hate us, though.

It depends on who you ask in the LA Area as with each individual it's either they hate the Coyotes the most or really not at all. However, there is no denying that both sets of fans have come to really hate each other to a high degree since the 2012 Playoffs.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Since I'm from Los Angeles and obviously surround myself with hockey people, I've noticed most of them have a pretty bitter taste in their mouth for us. Not really our whole team, just Shane Doan and Mike Smith. Everytime I bring up the Yotes around them, the first thing they say is that I should be a Kings fan, and the second thing is how much of a ***** they think Mike Smith and Shane Doan are.

Other than that, they really don't hate us that much. Mostly because they don't see us as a threat, as sad as that is. They do love OEL, and even Yandle surprisingly.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Since I'm from Los Angeles and obviously surround myself with hockey people, I've noticed most of them have a pretty bitter taste in their mouth for us. Not really our whole team, just Shane Doan and Mike Smith. Everytime I bring up the Yotes around them, the first thing they say is that I should be a Kings fan, and the second thing is how much of a ***** they think Mike Smith and Shane Doan are.

Other than that, they really don't hate us that much. Mostly because they don't see us as a threat, as sad as that is. They do love OEL, and even Yandle surprisingly.

Funny how they complain about Mike Smith and Shane Doan but yet they have blind love for Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick and both of those players have done what they accuse Smith and Doan of doing.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Funny how they complain about Mike Smith and Shane Doan but yet they have blind love for Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick and both of those players have done what they accuse Smith and Doan of doing.

I know, that's what I tell them. But then again, they say the same thing to me when I tell them how I feel about Brown, Doughty, and Quick.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I know, that's what I tell them. But then again, they say the same thing to me when I tell them how I feel about Brown, Doughty, and Quick.

With the same Kings Fans you spoke to and what you see in the bigger picture, what would you say is the ratio of hardcore fan:bandwagon fan there in the LA Area?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Detroit was my biggest hate, they knocked us out of the playoffs 2x. That said, everyone that's not a Detroit fan hates them, that's the price you pay when you develop a two decade tradition of making the playoffs.

After them it's LA, but I have a general disdain for all Cali teams.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
In the pacific...they are all pretty even as far as rivals go. For marketing reasons I would say the Kings but only because of the other sports teams in the valley seem to picture LA teams as their biggest rival.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
The Wings used to be a bitter rival after two first round exits delivered from them. Now they moved conferences though so we don't really care about them. We have an interesting relationship with the Sharks in that we don't really hate each other, but the games are intense (usually the sharks outplay them but the Coyotes find a way to win). Anaheim is cool, I just get the sense a lot of the Coyotes don't like Getzlaf. He mouthed off to the refs once and it cost Anaheim the game against Phoenix. We hate the Kings, for the playoff series but also for that Jordan Nolan guy. He hit Klesla in the head in pre-season and he was never the same after that. Klesla got traded to Buffalo, but didn't report. Well, no wonder when the coach is Ted NOLAN. Anyway, the more northern teams seem to have a pretty good relationship with us because we drop so many games to them. That's about it.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Detroit was my biggest hate, they knocked us out of the playoffs 2x.

The Wings used to be a bitter rival after two first round exits delivered from them.

It went back further than that. Year after year of having them fill up our building (like frankly no other team's fans ever did consistently, as often) and the 1998 playoff loss.

But, to see how fickle that is... suddenly they're not as good, and in the other conference, and poof! Animosity gone. It was weird when they played here this year - not even *their* fans showed up (relatively, anyway)...Now of course, we'd all *love* to face them in the playoffs again. :laugh:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I think DET was on rival status. I'm not sure how their fans felt but for us it was. We saw them 4 times a year and their fans would fill up our buildings, we played and got knocked out by them two playoffs in a row. The games always had good intensity. There was a rivalry brewing with the Kings after they knocked us out of the WCF as well, but as we haven't seen them in the playoffs for two years that has died down some.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
LA and Phoenix are natural rivals in all things, so I'd say the Kings are our biggest current rival. Other candidates are the Blackhawks (because of the volume of Hawks fans who live in AZ) and the Jets (for obvious reasons).

The Wings rivalry was neutered when Detroit switched conferences.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Michigan transplant and lifelong Wings fan. The "rivalry" is definitely one sided. I don't view the Coyotes as a rival by any means. I had an altercation with an alleged Coyotes fan a few years back. He was flapping his gums after a Wings win and saying a lot of stupid crap. I called him out on his b.s. and asked if he was such a Coyotes fan, why was he wearing a Habs jersey at the game. Shut him up quick.

For a Wings fan's perspective it's the same here is it is elsewhere. Just another day at the rink.

I've only been out here for 4 years and during that time there isn't really a team that gets under my skin other than Chicago (but I hate them already). It does not take a playoff series to build a rivalry. Anything with contention can do the trick. But the playoff series' certainly help. I'd love to see more build with LA other than the a-typical "beat LA" mentality that exists here.

This team has a few good pieces in place to make strides and get after some Western Conference teams and fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad