Which goalies can "defy advanced stats" and make the playoffs?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
First off, I'm an advocate of using advanced stats as a part of the equation with evaluating the ability of teams and players. Not the only factor, but they can be very telling.

Last year, we saw a Toronto team defying odds and stats, look like a sure bet to make the playoffs. According to the numbers, they were getting consistently outplayed by opponents, and winning. Then Bernier goes down and we all know what happened from there . . .

I consider Bernier to be an elite goaltender, capable of bringing mediocre teams to the playoffs. But I don't necessarily think he's as good on a top team - he's better as an underdog goalie. I think Luongo is the same type of goalie, as was Hasek.

Who are some goalies that thrive in these conditions and are truly capable of throwing their team on their back for an entire season?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Avs last year with Varlamov? Their numbers showed them getting outplayed most games, especially with poor possession numbers.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
"Advanced" stats are numbers - they cannot be defied.

Are you asking about which goaltenders can defy (some) peoples' conclusions and predictions, based upon their misunderstanding of (not particularly) advanced stats?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
"Advanced" stats are numbers - they cannot be defied.

Are you asking about which goaltenders can defy (some) peoples' conclusions and predictions, based upon their misunderstanding of (not particularly) advanced stats?

So you are saying advanced stats are final? Seeing as you said they can't be defied, why watch the games? Why even play the games after half a season?

All that advanced stats does is predict trends. It can predict who should be at the top, and who should be at the bottom. They aren't perfect.

In fact EDM is middle of the pack as a team in Corsi, yet solidly in last place.

He's asking which goalies will defy the advanced stats saying that a team should trend down, and carry them to the playoffs.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
So you are saying advanced stats are final? Seeing as you said they can't be defied, why watch the games? Why even play the games after half a season?

All that advanced stats does is predict trends. It can predict who should be at the top, and who should be at the bottom. They aren't perfect.

In fact EDM is middle of the pack as a team in Corsi, yet solidly in last place.

He's asking which goalies will defy the advanced stats saying that a team should trend down, and carry them to the playoffs.

No, hes saying that a number is a number and you can't change that. If the numbers say the team is a terrible puck possession team than they are.

I think you misunderstood his post cause you seem to have the right idea after it.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Wouldn't we need to see those statistics (and the goaltenders that are claimed to be dragged out of the playoffs by them)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad