Which goalie will be better: Igor Shestyorkin or Thatcher Demko?

Which goalie will be better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Which will be better
It depends on what their team's defence is and what their team's offence is and who their goaltender coach is and who their head coach is. So, I am not going to answer your question because I do not know the future head coach, future team and future goaltender coach of both goaltenders.

Last edited:

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
It depends on what their team's defence is and what their team's offence is and who their goaltender coach is and who their head coach is. So, I am not going to answer your question because I do not know the future head coach, future team and future goaltender coach of both goaltenders.
Can't you say that about any prospect? Depends on their line mates team and how good their coach is. Such a boring answer.

I'm a Canucks fan so I'm voting demko but I see an argument for either player . Igors stats in the KHL are VERY impressive

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Shesty. He definitely has proved he’s not a product of his team and right now is the best goalie not in the NHL. Demko is doing amazing things in Utica as well though no slight on him but Shestyorkin is much more athletic and flexible. It could go either way though

Reactions: 99664987

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Posted this on the prospect thread:

Demko is more impressive than the 3 russians IMO. If anyone knows Utica, they're a trash team who (until recently) had half it's roster on the Canucks due to massive injury troubles. They're basically getting carried by Demko and Goldobin.

The Russians play on much more stacked teams.
I gotta admit I dont watch the Russian goalies, but here are some stats:

Shestorkin is .930 svp in 27GP. His partner is .940 svp in 28GP.
Sorokin is .930svp in 36GP . His partner is .946 (!) svp in 20GP.
Samsonov is .922svp in 24GP. His partner is .931 svp in 31GP.

Meanwhile, Demko is .929svp in 29GP and arguably the best goalie in the AHL right now, while his partner Richard Bachman (who has proved to be a solid NHL backup and put up a few stellar AHL seasons) is .886svp in 16GP. That difference is MASSIVE. Utica's defense is absolute trash and this shows exactly how good Demko is. He's the type of goalie that will bail you out regardless of how good your lineup is.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Well based on NHL 18, Demko has 'medium elite' potential and always develops into a 90+ overall. Since Rammer is a giant genius, I'd say Demko.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Demko is more impressive than the 3 russians IMO. If anyone knows Utica, they're a trash team who (until recently) had half it's roster on the Canucks due to massive injury troubles. They're basically getting carried by Demko and Goldobin.

Meanwhile, Demko is .929svp in 29GP and arguably the best goalie in the AHL right now, while his partner Richard Bachman (who has proved to be a solid NHL backup and put up a few stellar AHL seasons) is .886svp in 16GP. That difference is MASSIVE. Utica's defense is absolute trash and this shows exactly how good Demko is. He's the type of goalie that will bail you out regardless of how good your lineup is.
Agree with this post, I feel like KHL save percentages are inflated cause more shots come from farther out

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

So you admit to not watching those three but have an opinion on their play? I'll be right up front and say I don't watch Demko. I haven't even watched the Rangers AHL affiliate once this season.

But I can tell you that Shestyorkin's play is legit. I've watched him play a lot of KHL matches, and a lot of games for Russia's National Team and Junior Teams. I've watched enough of Sorokin and Samsonov to say their play is legit, as well. Right now, I'd rank them Shestyorkin, Sorokin, Samsonov in terms of current play. Samsonov, Shestyorkin, Sorokin in terms of potential.

What you are saying about the numbers ignores the context of these situations. Shestyorkin completely outplayed Koskinen last season. This season, he's outplayed him for most of the season, but he struggled with injuries in November and December. He only played four total games during those months, and the games he played he was terrible because he was most likely playing through injuries, although its hard to get exact information on injuries from SKA. If you take away those four games, he has a .946 SV%, so he's having an excellent season, but four bad games where he was most likely playing through an injury are hurting his numbers.

You should also consider that the KHL is a better league than the AHL, so it should be harder for a goalie to have a good SV% in the KHL than AHL. The same SV% in the KHL is the more impressive of the two SV%'s.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Can't say I've seen Shesty play enough to fairly vote in his poll, but Demko is a gem. Definitely one of the best young goalies in the game right now.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
So you admit to not watching those three but have an opinion on their play? I'll be right up front and say I don't watch Demko. I haven't even watched the Rangers AHL affiliate once this season.

But I can tell you that Shestyorkin's play is legit. I've watched him play a lot of KHL matches, and a lot of games for Russia's National Team and Junior Teams. I've watched enough of Sorokin and Samsonov to say their play is legit, as well. Right now, I'd rank them Shestyorkin, Sorokin, Samsonov in terms of current play. Samsonov, Shestyorkin, Sorokin in terms of potential.

What you are saying about the numbers ignores the context of these situations. Shestyorkin completely outplayed Koskinen last season. This season, he's outplayed him for most of the season, but he struggled with injuries in November and December. He only played four total games during those months, and the games he played he was terrible because he was most likely playing through injuries, although its hard to get exact information on injuries from SKA. If you take away those four games, he has a .946 SV%, so he's having an excellent season, but four bad games where he was most likely playing through an injury are hurting his numbers.

You should also consider that the KHL is a better league than the AHL, so it should be harder for a goalie to have a good SV% in the KHL than AHL. The same SV% in the KHL is the more impressive of the two SV%'s.
But how is it different what you're doing? I admit to not watching Shes play but think Demko is better than him. You admit to not watchingg Demko play, but think Shes is better than him. I feel like we're literally doing the same thing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
But how is it different what you're doing? I admit to not watching Shes play but think Demko is better than him. You admit to not watchingg Demko play, but think Shes is better than him. I feel like we're literally doing the same thing.

You made a point against the three Russian goalies, I made no point against Demko. I prefer my team's player. If you had presented it like that, maybe your point would be less disagreeable, as its on partisan grounds.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If I said what I want to say to you. I'd get a ban.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
If you're bumping an old poll, the voting should be closed to not skew the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad