Which General Manager has been the most detrimental to the Leafs team today?

e84*

Guess you can say that Nonis kind of balanced out the Clarkson debacle signing with the Bernier deal... I think Bernie is going to be big for this organization... How many games did he steal this year? Once we give him proper d coverage and he only has to face the typical amount of shots... watch out.

e84*

Many people forget that Kessel was supposed to be the next American Crosby... all year that draft he was projected to go number 1 and fell off on draft day to 5th. perhaps he fell off because of what we are seeing now... shoddy play in his own end, soft and avoidance of contact, etc. even still he is in the top 5 for points. Don't think that trade was that bad overall... Kessels don't grow on trees.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
All of Leafs past GMs contributed to this team today and inflicted unnecessary damage through a single concept.

Draft schmaft was the common theme that sent the team down the wrong road.

Quinn sending Boyes + 2003 1st (could have been Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Shea Weber) for Nolan for instant help.

Ferguson sending Rask for Raycroft, 1sts 2nds for Toskala etc.

Fletcher Steen and Colaiacovo for Stempniak.

Burke the 2nd and 9th and 32nd overall for Kessel.

There are lots more examples of picks and prospects for quick fix attempts.

If we could just undo these examples above alone the Leafs would be in a very different spot.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
JFJ was HANDCUFFED by management! Yes, he made a mistake when he traded Rask, however, management had their grubby hands all over that trade as well!

Burke SHAT the bed on the Kessel trade by giving up too many HIGH DRAFT PICKS. He overestimated the ABILITY and TALENT levels of this team when he traded for Kessel! Set us back badly IMHO.

You don't believe the Board asked Burke to do an accelerated rebuild just like JFJ? It seems odd that JFJ was handcuffed by management and Burke was not. The whole autonomy spewed by Burke was nonsense, as evidenced by his departure when the Board was not happy with his boisterous disposition on building the team.

I'm not a Brian Burke defender. The Kessel trade was not warranted or needed at the time.

At least he did some good trades at the time in shipping out Beach Ball Toskala and Jason Blake for J.S. Giguere.

Then he brought in Dumb Phaneuf, Aulie, and Sjostrom for Hagman, Mayers, Stajan, and Ian White. At the time this trade was a steal.

Traded Francois Beauchemin for Jake Gardiner and Joffrey Lupul. Another good deal.

Yes the free agent signings of Komisarek, Connolly, and et.al. are not great but at least he took some risk in trying to better the team.

It just ended up the players that were traded for became fish in the fish bowl known as the ACC and became entitled and/or dumb as fishes when playing in this pressure city.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Good one! :handclap::yo::laugh::biglaugh:

Yes, I think if we had used our picks, instead of trading them for Kessel, we'd be better off today! No way to know for sure, however! Drafting has been a weakness of ours as well!

even the trade up to get biggs to be honest.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Cliff Fletcher was just terrible period. JFJ had ownership controlling him. My vote went to Cliff Fletcher.

Tim Leiweke has built TFC and by having a competent GM he trusts in Ujiri has built the Raptors as a character team that will contend for awhile with a some minor moves. It's time he steps into the Leafs boardroom and puts his mark on them.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Many people forget that Kessel was supposed to be the next American Crosby... all year that draft he was projected to go number 1 and fell off on draft day to 5th. perhaps he fell off because of what we are seeing now... shoddy play in his own end, soft and avoidance of contact, etc. even still he is in the top 5 for points. Don't think that trade was that bad overall... Kessels don't grow on trees.

neither do top centers in the league. something the leafs lack far more.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd in other news Gibson (who the ducks drafted with the leafs 39th draft pick ) - had a shutout in his first NHL game last night.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
JFJ was HANDCUFFED by management! Yes, he made a mistake when he traded Rask, however, management had their grubby hands all over that trade as well!

Burke SHAT the bed on the Kessel trade by giving up too many HIGH DRAFT PICKS. He overestimated the ABILITY and TALENT levels of this team when he traded for Kessel! Set us back badly IMHO.

He also knocked a few home runs out of the park with JvR and Gardiner/Lupul trades. Those factors alone take him out of this discussion.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Guess you can say that Nonis kind of balanced out the Clarkson debacle signing with the Bernier deal... I think Bernie is going to be big for this organization... How many games did he steal this year? Once we give him proper d coverage and he only has to face the typical amount of shots... watch out.

there is no balancing out that Clarkson deal. a bad contract is a bad contract... same goes for Homophobic Sluroof's contract. i dont think Nonis was as detrimental as Burke was but that isnt saying much. they're both terrible GM's

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He also knocked a few home runs out of the park with JvR and Gardiner/Lupul trades. Those factors alone take him out of this discussion.

Brian Burke, good trades, hit and miss drafts, terrible coach selections and management choices.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Oh the irony that Seguin was just traded.

bruins needed the cap room. much like they chose to trade kessel.

they certainly lost in that trade by the looks of it in spades - but TBH, i fail to see who the bruins trade / don't trade would have made a difference to the leafs having a shot at a top tier center in that draft. that draft was just insanely deep and good for any team with a lottery pick.

Last edited:

e84*

With the type of money the leafs have... and the fact that area isn't capped as far as I know... you can spend as much as you want on your drafting scouts/player deveolopment... the leaf organization should have the best of the best, le creme de la creme if you will. I'm talking million dollar draft scouting and assessments right down to nitty gritty detail. physical/psychological assessments of potential draftees performed by the best minds you can buy. top secret secret service cia classified sh_t. we should be the team like detroit scoring big winners in the later rounds. it isn't just luck folks.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
call me crazy but i thought there was a new rule being implemented (or considered being implemented) that severely limited individual team combines for players?

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Most total damage was definitely JFJ...it seemed every move he made turned to crap. The Rask move was among the worst moves I can remember Toronto making. Fletcher did a lot of bad over a very short period of time, much of which is still biting us in the butt. The Steen move really hurt and trading up to land Schenn in the draft was not exactly brilliant...that Burke managed to steal JVR for Schenn does nothing to erase how pointless the move was at the time.

Burke made a couple of bad moves but I feel that the good moves he made far outweigh the poor...heck even the "horribad" Kessel deal that some still complain about did not turn out to be quite the disaster that many predicted it would be.

Nonis has made a couple of nice moves (Bernier, Bolland) and a major stinker in Clarkson...jury is still out but I am not overly confident in him.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
JFJ
Between the NTC's handed out, the horrible trades, totally mis-judging the new NHL.......

That's on Peddie though. Hiring a rookie GM

Oct 19, 2007
I wish that Gord Stellick was an option. He was definitely the worse. :help:

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
All of them. JFJ wanted to do his best, but wasn't allowed to.
Fletcher shouldn't have done what he did

Burke ruined this team. I said it last night - I don't get how he gets all this love and adoration and people want him back. He screwed the team over and set it back pretty much where it was before when he got here.

Nonis just needs to go too. he's part of the Burke problem.

Burke ruined the team? pull your head out of the sand bud.. If we finished anywhere other than bottom 5 in the league those 2 years it would have been a STEAL of a trade. All of our core pieces were acquired by BURKE by trade.. Name one franchise or gm that was able to do what he did in such minimal time. If he was still running the show we'd be far better off than the ****storm we're in now.

RhyZa

Jul 3, 2006
The real answer is Dave Nonis and the Clarkson Contract plus buyout of Grabo etc.

It's not even close the value lost on picks players and prospects we shed in just one year.

This team was way Better last year. So as the question states as of today, it's the current GM.

Exactly.

One of the worst contracts arguably in the history of the league, wasted unprecedented buyouts and he's done less damage than Burke? Ridiculous

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

home runs maybe ,but in reality we are about as good as the rest of the non playoff teams ,we didnt fleece anybody ,most of the trades will be won or lost when we have to resign gardiner ,JVR .ETC .......THEY LL WANT RAISES with no play off revenue....so yes he is in the discussion ,u have a salary cap ,we got alot tied up in 4-5 guys already ,,,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad