Which duo would you want leading your team? (Point/Kucherov vs Marchand/Pasta vs Aho/Rantanen)

Which Duo would you want leading your team?

• Point + Kucherov

• Aho + Rantanen

• Marchand + Pastrnak

Results are only viewable after voting.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Point and Kucherov.

Best centre and best player, respectively.

I really like all players. Bruins duo holds up, but lacks a centre.

Reactions: Kaner9

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Point and Kucherov.

Best centre and best player, respectively.

I really like all players. Bruins duo holds up, but lacks a centre.

Aho+Rantanen for me. Aho and point are even offensively, but Aho is hands down the better 2-way C. Rantanen/Kuch are both playoff-monsters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Point + Kucherov seem the obvious choice.

Kucherov is easily the best player here. And Point just had a fantastic, smythe worthy run. All great duos, but to me the choice is clear

PeterForsberg

Aug 4, 2012
I'm struggling to understand the Aho and Rantanen votes. Two clearly lesser players.
They perform when the games matter? I might favour point + kuch a tad, but i can definitely understand the votes for aho/rant

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Unlike the two who had 30 point playoff runs on their way to the cup last year?

Aho is areally good 2-way player. That actually is valuable, he is also PPG+ in playoffs with 32GP and 34P against Points 53GP and 59P. Rantanen has 1.2PPG in his 40 playoffsgames with a +16, Kucherov has 1.1PPG...

It`s much closer than you think. Ahos +15 and his 2-way play against Points +1 tip the scale for me. Aho is playing a lot of PK and is better at defense than Point.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Aho is areally good 2-way player. That actually is valuable, he is also PPG+ in playoffs with 32GP and 34P against Points 53GP and 59P. Rantanen has 1.2PPG in his 40 playoffsgames with a +16, Kucherov has 1.1PPG...

It`s much closer than you think. Ahos +15 and his 2-way play against Points +1 tip the scale for me. Aho is playing a lot of PK and is better at defense than Point.

If Aho is better defensively than Point it's extremely minimal. Plus minus is meaningless

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
If Aho is better defensively than Point it's extremely minimal. Plus minus is meaningless

I actually think itse pretty important to score more than the other team? Didnt know 5vs5 doesnt count anymore...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm struggling to understand the Aho and Rantanen votes. Two clearly lesser players.

Yeah I don't get it.

I think it comes down to Kucherov not getting the respect he deserves. To me he's clearly in a higher tier than anyone else here. He has a legitimate argument for 2nd best in the world (same tier as Drai, Mack) and above anyone here. Point is probably similar tier as the other 2 - but he's a center and has a proven smythe-worthy cup run, that the other 2 don't have, which helps him. Plus Kuch + Point have actual chemistry.

Ranta + Aho is a great duo and all - but it's clearly #2 here.

As for Boston - well I don't like Marchand, so would never pick him. He's also older, so unless this is 'for one year only', they're not in the running. And if it is for one year only - I still prefer Kuch + Point

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I don't get it.

I think it comes down to Kucherov not getting the respect he deserves. To me he's clearly in a higher tier than anyone else here. He has a legitimate argument for 2nd best in the world (same tier as Drai, Mack) and above anyone here. Point is probably similar tier as the other 2 - but he's a center and has a proven smythe-worthy cup run, that the other 2 don't have, which helps him. Plus Kuch + Point have actual chemistry.

Ranta + Aho is a great duo and all - but it's clearly #2 here.

As for Boston - well I don't like Marchand, so would never pick him. He's also older, so unless this is 'for one year only', they're not in the running. And if it is for one year only - I still prefer Kuch + Point

If you actually value the chemistry here, then this poll is stupid. How can Aho+Rantanen show chemistry when they play on different teams? And you can value Kucherov all you want - Rantanen has better PPG in career playoffsgames. Also Rantanen was PPG+ in his second year in NHL, Kucherov in his 4th. I really dont see Kucherov beeing on a different level from Rantanen. Their production is quite even.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If you actually value the chemistry here, then this poll is stupid. How can Aho+Rantanen show chemistry when they play on different teams? And you can value Kucherov all you want - Rantanen has better PPG in career playoffsgames. Also Rantanen was PPG+ in his second year in NHL, Kucherov in his 4th. I really dont see Kucherov beeing on a different level from Rantanen. Their production is quite even.

1. Why wouldn't you value chemistry here? I'm not saying you use chemistry alone and ignore everything else - but proven chemistry is a good thing, and it's an advantage both Kuch/Point and Pasta/Marchand have over Ranta and Aho.

2. Development isn't linear. Rantanen was ppg in second year and Kuch in 4th? Ok.....and Joe Juneau was ppg in his first three seasons, while Jagr only hit ppg in his 3rd season. Whose seen as better? I'll give you a hint - it's the guy with the initials of JJ.

Kucherov swept all the awards, and had arguably the best offensive season this century (arguably - personally I say it's top ~3-5, but it's up there). Ranta is great and all, but he hasn't peaked that high, and odds are he never does.

3. Playoff ppg. Again - it's true he has better career playoff ppg, but it's over less than half the game, and never past round 2. Kucherov has been to round 3 or beyond 4x already - much harder to score in later rounds. So once again, while it's true Ranta has done great in playoffs so far, Kuch has an edge here as well.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If you think Aho is a "clearly lesser" player, you are truly either biased or wrong. Aho puts up Point numbers without playing with the top winger in the NHL.

Phosphophyllite

Mar 15, 2016
宝石の国
Kucherov being the best player out of the bunch tips the scales. I get arguing that Aho+Rantanen are excellect playoff performers, but it's hard to argue that 3 guys with a cup, and a 4th that has also made it to the finals somehow aren't.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Point and Kuch is the most dominant. Why are Aho and Rant listed they don't play on the same team like the others?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad