Which Division Champion Do You Think Is Most Susceptible To Upset

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I might be getting some folks fired up with this thread but thought it would make for interesting discussion. I would have to say SSM. I think their goal tending could very easily let them down and give an under dog some confidence which is a dangerous thing in the playoffs.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Thank you for making a thread about this; I think this could produce a lot of interesting conversation, probably a bit of hostility but hopefully all in good fun.

I think it depends on whose playing who. As for first round upsets, I think Belleville has the highest chance of performing an upset over Barrie, simply because the Bulls are playing their last games in the city so certainly they want to go out with a bang.

As for 2nd round, I think if Oshawa plays Kingston in the 2nd round, the Gens could be susceptible to upset as Kingston has played them hard all season.

While everyone has their doubts about goaltending for the Sault, Halverson has been hot lately and has instilled a lot of confidence in himself, the team and the fan base with his play as of late. Hopefully this will carry forward into the playoffs. As long as the Hounds are scoring (and we sure as hell know they can), goaltending is the least of my worries. 7-6 wins are still wins, and in playoffs as long as you're getting the W, stats are irrelevant.

I voted Barrie because they're more susceptible to be the first to be eliminated

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Barrie, I think they go down in the second round. They'll face either North Bay (if North Bay beats Kingston) or Niagara/Ottawa (If Kingston beats North Bay).

Wouldn't rule out Belleville giving them a tough time either.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I get your point about Belleville and that thought crossed my mind to. It would make for a great cinderella story if they have an unexpected playoff run.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Belleville and Kingston are underdogs in my opinion in the East, while in the West I think Kitchener could be considered an underdog. All three team possess amazing goaltenders which could steal some games during these playoffs.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I think if any division winner were to fall, Erie would be my choice.

They can outscore most opponents, but it comes down to Williams. If McDavid and company run into a real hot goaltender, will Williams be able to make the clutch save at the crucial moments. He finished the regular season ranked 20th in SV%.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
As good as Erie is offensively, if they run into a hot goaltender, they could have issues. You can't keep winning 8-7 and 7-4 games; it's not realistic.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Well they all made it through round 1. I have to think at least one won't make it through round 2. Im hoping for Erie :D

Edit: Oshawa and Niagara is a pretty interesting series considering how the regular season match up went.. That will be my secondary series to watch for sure.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Well they all made it through round 1. I have to think at least one won't make it through round 2. Im hoping for Erie :D

Edit: Oshawa and Niagara is a pretty interesting series considering how the regular season match up went.. That will be my secondary series to watch for sure.

Good News for erie fans is that Williams actually had a pretty good first round. Stats don't really indicate it but played solid enough in game 1 for the team to win, played a great second game, played bad in game 3 (but 2 or 3 goals were largely defensive errors), played bad again in game 4 but again the defense left him out to dry, but he turned it around with a great game 5 to close the series. Yes he has struggled this year but most of his struggles have been connected to defensive errors and otters inability to play a full 60 minute game consistenly. When defense and consistent effort is given by the whole team, Williams has been a lot better lately

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
*HOMER COMMENT*

Erie, Barrie and Oshawa I think all have the potential to be ousted this Round given who they're matched up with.

London, though lacking defensively, has proven that they got the offensive punch to deal substantial damage to any team, despite how many goals are scored against them. Erie will need to match this, while keeping the puck out of their net.

Barrie is going up against the Battalion who has one of the most difficult defensive setups in the league. Once you do manage to make it through the trap, then you're facing Jake Smith who's been playing amazing as of late.

As for Niagara and Oshawa, though I feel the Gens will probably win this series, if Niagara plays well and can figure out Appleby, this will be an interesting series to watch.

Greyhounds, as long as we don't lose half our team to injury, should be an easy series in 4-5 games, pending Nichols doesn't stand on his head.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Well we finally have a winner. The Barrie Colts were the only division champion not to advance to Conference Finals.

Boy was I wrong about SSM. Kudos to them so far..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad