Speculation: Which Direction Should the Wild Head?

What should the organization do going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
That's up to the scouts. We did get both Granlund and Dumba in the top 10.

True! Plus Brodin, Koivu, PMB, and Gaborik in the Top 10

The more I look at it, the more they really only struck out twice -- and really only one of those didn't have a long playing career. Pouliot played over 600 games.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
True! Plus Brodin, Koivu, PMB, and Gaborik in the Top 10

The more I look at it, the more they really only struck out twice -- and really only one of those didn't have a long playing career. Pouliot played over 600 games.

A top 10 pick gives you better odds of not f***ing up. not 100% but usually you get a good player

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I still think there is a big difference between bottoming out because it happens through fate vs trying to bottom out. The Wild might be on the edge of a bottom out that simply happens because a core has run it's course and losing Dumba is a killer. Falling ass-backwards into a nice draft pick wouldn't be the worst thing for the Wild but attempting to orchestrate losing for the lottery is a terrible use of assets as there is way too high a risk of bad lottery luck.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I still think there is a big difference between bottoming out because it happens through fate vs trying to bottom out. The Wild might be on the edge of a bottom out that simply happens because a core has run it's course and losing Dumba is a killer. Falling ass-backwards into a nice draft pick wouldn't be the worst thing for the Wild but attempting to orchestrate losing for the lottery is a terrible use of assets as there is way too high a risk of bad lottery luck.

This is largely how I feel. Part of me really hopes we can keep this corps of good but not great players together while lucking our way into a single bad season and a great young player. That would be huge.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Not advocating trying to orchestrate a lottery win, but having a couple 1sts this year wouldn't be horrible, and if one happened to be top 10 that'd be swell too.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
If were out of it by the TDL I would probably move Staal and Spergy. Staal hopefully will fetch a later 1st+ as HF boards Threads have indicated. I've really liked Staal since he has been here 65pts year one and a 40 goal 70+pts season last year. Spergy for cap and value reasons...He has another year left on his contract which is attractive to teams who might be interested . He has probably the most value of our trade assets right now as being a very solid 2 way defender. I would in no way call him a first line RHD as some have but a very solid 2nd line and in a pinch 1st line RHD. With Spergy the question is what can we possibly add to get a great return? Depending on the cap next year and assuming Spergy and Staal are gone we are maybe in the 16-18 mil range for free agents/RFA's. Duchene could be an option for Center but...? Next year Coyle and Brodin on the Trade Block. I would say Coyle this year but if we are trading Staal we basically have no 2nd line center options the rest of this year . It would be Koivu/Coyle/Ek/Fehr for the rest of this year at the center position.

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
This is largely how I feel. Part of me really hopes we can keep this corps of good but not great players together while lucking our way into a single bad season and a great young player. That would be huge.

Me too. But expansion is happening again. The key guys like Granlund, Nino, Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon will probably look even better as the league dilutes again. And it gets just that much harder to sign a Spurgeon, or trade for a Nino.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If were out of it by the TDL I would probably move Staal and Spergy. Staal hopefully will fetch a later 1st+ as HF boards Threads have indicated. I've really liked Staal since he has been here 65pts year one and a 40 goal 70+pts season last year. Spergy for cap and value reasons...He has another year left on his contract which is attractive to teams who might be interested . He has probably the most value of our trade assets right now as being a very solid 2 way defender. I would in no way call him a first line RHD as some have but a very solid 2nd line and in a pinch 1st line RHD. With Spergy the question is what can we possibly add to get a great return? Depending on the cap next year and assuming Spergy and Staal are gone we are maybe in the 16-18 mil range for free agents/RFA's. Duchene could be an option for Center but...? Next year Coyle and Brodin on the Trade Block. I would say Coyle this year but if we are trading Staal we basically have no 2nd line center options the rest of this year . It would be Koivu/Coyle/Ek/Fehr for the rest of this year at the center position.
If Spurgeon isn't a first line RD, then I don't know who is. He is our best all round Dman, at this point, until Suter gets his defensive game back. Trading him is madness, unless we get a no doubt, first line forward back.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If Spurgeon isn't a first line RD, then I don't know who is. He is our best all round Dman, at this point, until Suter gets his defensive game back. Trading him is madness, unless we get a no doubt, first line forward back.
No, he isn't

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Until Parise/Suter/Koivu retire, this team will never tank.

Sabres fan here. Do you see a scenario where Koivu would waive his NMC for the right landing place? For example an up and coming team that has a large number of Finns on it where he could take a 2C until he retires.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Sabres fan here. Do you see a scenario where Koivu would waive his NMC for the right landing place? For example an up and coming team that has a large number of Finns on it where he could take a 2C until he retires.

if youre in the playoff hunt and we are not, maybe. highly doubtful though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Koivu has a nice house and family. He's made a lot of money. If he moves, it will be back to Finland. He might consider going to a team as rental if the Wild are irrelevant at the TDL, but that would only be as an expiring contract.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t think trading him is the worst idea. We’re gonna lose a good defensmen to the exaspansion draft. Mind as well get some value for spurgeon who is basically a lock to miss 10 games a year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota needs to sit down and have a long, long discussion with Koivu in the off-season. If he wants to help this organization in the long run, he needs to waive his NMC. It wouldn't be the first time Fenton had to move the face of a franchise - they had to in Nashville when they moved David Legwand to Detroit. They got Patrick Eaves, which amounted to nothing. But they also got Calle Jarnkrok, who has been a solid complimentary player for them. They also got a 2nd round pick in 2014, which they flipped for Jack Dougherty and Anthony Richard. Doughterty was traded for Nick Baptiste. So, they got Jarnkrok, Richard and Baptiste for Legwand, who didn't figure into any of their plans. BTW Richard is considered to be one of their top prospects now.

Also by moving Koivu, I think that would force Minnesota to change philosophies and approach to the game as they would need to get a new face for the franchise and a new tempo.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Minnesota needs to sit down and have a long, long discussion with Koivu in the off-season. If he wants to help this organization in the long run, he needs to waive his NMC. It wouldn't be the first time Fenton had to move the face of a franchise - they had to in Nashville when they moved David Legwand to Detroit. They got Patrick Eaves, which amounted to nothing. But they also got Calle Jarnkrok, who has been a solid complimentary player for them. They also got a 2nd round pick in 2014, which they flipped for Jack Dougherty and Anthony Richard. Doughterty was traded for Nick Baptiste. So, they got Jarnkrok, Richard and Baptiste for Legwand, who didn't figure into any of their plans. BTW Richard is considered to be one of their top prospects now.

Also by moving Koivu, I think that would force Minnesota to change philosophies and approach to the game as they would need to get a new face for the franchise and a new tempo.
He's got one year left on his deal. If he was ever a hurdle to changing team philosophy I think that time is long past.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Koivu may retire next season anyway. Would be a much better use of time and energy to explore trading Staal at the deadline. Koivu isn't really an issue. His cap hit is only going to go down if he signs another contract.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He's got one year left on his deal. If he was ever a hurdle to changing team philosophy I think that time is long past.

Not really; he's the captain and his style has epitomized Minnesota's style since the days of Lemaire. Great defensively, shoddy offensively, not great skating speed, great character. That's what Minnesota looks for in their players and have since DR and Lemaire ran the team.

Koivu may retire next season anyway. Would be a much better use of time and energy to explore trading Staal at the deadline. Koivu isn't really an issue. His cap hit is only going to go down if he signs another contract.

Koivu's trade value next year could help Minnesota. How many times have we watched good players walk for nothing?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not really; he's the captain and his style has epitomized Minnesota's style since the days of Lemaire. Great defensively, shoddy offensively, not great skating speed, great character. That's what Minnesota looks for in their players and have since DR and Lemaire ran the team.
And you think that his presence is preventing Fenton from doing otherwise?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Koivu's trade value next year could help Minnesota. How many times have we watched good players walk for nothing?

I think that's a conversation we can save for next year. There are so many different things that can happen between now and then. This year I believe we should focus on Staal and one of Nino/Zucker/Coyle.

What I will say is that, if Koivu's contract was expiring at the end of this season, I'd agree that we should be talking to him about waiving and getting some value back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad