Speculation: Which Direction Should the Wild Head?

What should the organization do going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You responded to a post describing a firesale, not a re-tool.

He said firesale, yet you don't keep over half the players in a firesale. He was describing a re-tool.
The point is, players like Brodin and Zucker shouldn't be unavailable either if you're opening up the market on Spurgeon, Staal, Nino, Coyle, etc. If they can return the value you're looking for, they're available.
And the point of the re-tool is to concede that you're not going to be competitive for 1-2 years in the hopes that after that time frame you have more effective pieces and can be more competitive than before. Thus, if you can get a prospect like Nick Suzuki for Brodin, that's something you should consider.
On the other hand, you still want a decent foundation, so if you can swing a deal like Nino for Elias Lindholm, it's also something to consider.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Right now it's change of scenery trades. If that doesn't work, and were still out at the TDL then sell if you can get a good return.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He said firesale, yet you don't keep over half the players in a firesale. He was describing a re-tool.
The point is, players like Brodin and Zucker shouldn't be unavailable either if you're opening up the market on Spurgeon, Staal, Nino, Coyle, etc. If they can return the value you're looking for, they're available.
And the point of the re-tool is to concede that you're not going to be competitive for 1-2 years in the hopes that after that time frame you have more effective pieces and can be more competitive than before. Thus, if you can get a prospect like Nick Suzuki for Brodin, that's something you should consider.
On the other hand, you still want a decent foundation, so if you can swing a deal like Nino for Elias Lindholm, it's also something to consider.

It's not realistic to jettison 6-8 NHL players off of an NHL roster at once. A firesale can be done in multiple stages over a number of years.

Coyle or Nino (or both) now, see what happens; Staal at the TDL, see what happens; Spurgeon at the draft, see what happens; etc...

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's not realistic to jettison 8-10 NHL players off of an NHL roster at once. A firesale can be done in multiple stages over a number of years.

Coyle or Nino (or both) now, see what happens; Staal at the TDL, see what happens; Spurgeon at the draft, see what happens; etc...

I didn't say trade everyone by Christmas, I said that some of the players he listed as unavailable shouldn't be unavailable in the situation we're in or the scenario we're describing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I didn't say trade everyone by Christmas, I said that some of the players he listed as unavailable shouldn't be unavailable in the situation we're in or the scenario we're describing.

He didn't say that they were "unavailable". He just said that he'd choose to keep them around and build around them. Fully within his right.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He didn't say that they were "unavailable". He just said that he'd choose to keep them around and build around them. Fully within his right.
Fully within my right to say we shouldn't keep them if the right deal comes along for them.

America, and all that, right?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Fully within my right to say we shouldn't keep them if the right deal comes along for them.

America, and all that, right?

Hell yeah America!

I'm just saying the "point to keeping Zucker and Brodin around" is that maybe he likes them as players and wants them to be around. Just as some people might not see Greenway as an untraceable piece.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know how Greenway got to this untouchable status. I mean, it's cool that he has a big reach and knocks people down when he's not falling down himself, but...talk about the grass being greener...

I think if we trade Staal at the TDL we'll have a decent chance at re-signing him in FA. He can leave the fam here for 2-3 months, then come back, come summer. No guarantees, of course, but at this point the Wild have to amass prospect and picks, and trading Staal and his expiring contract is one painless way to do it.

This is all assuming that we don't get in the playoffs. If we are in a race right up to the end just to make a wild card spot then Fenton is gonna have to make some tough decisions. I've seen this movie too many times...I'd trade Staal anyway unless we are comfortably in the playoffs and looking dangerous.

Love what he has brought to the team, but someone has to be a cold hearted SOB and look to the future of the team. I feel like this team has been kowtowing to veteran players for years, and i don't know why. they haven't won anything.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't think either gets us a top 10 pick.
I'm not talking about getting top 10 picks for those guys. I'm talking about keeping enough good players to be a mediocre team. Why would you want to do that? If you're not willing to try and make the playoffs, then you need to be as bad as possible. Picking in the 7-12 range for 3-5 years, puts you right back where you are currently. What's the point of watching 3-5 years of terrible hockey just for that?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's not realistic to jettison 6-8 NHL players off of an NHL roster at once. A firesale can be done in multiple stages over a number of years.

No, it can't.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So what is the normal duration of what might be described as a firesale? Are we talking days, weeks or months?
The idea of a firesale is to become as bad as you can as quickly as you can. You don't tank for 24th place

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'd be curious to see the last team that traded away ~6 or more top 6 and/or top 4 players in one shebang.
most 100 point teams don't go into a firesale, but HF doesn't have a rule about making stupid polls.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
they're the same team they always are when Dubnyk decides to be terrible for a stretch.

Dubnyk being terrible for a stretch doesn't have much to do with Nino and Coyle being on pace for 11 goals each, or not having a NHL quality 3rd line, or our defense falling apart.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Dubnyk being terrible for a stretch doesn't have much to do with Nino and Coyle being on pace for 11 goals each, or not having a NHL quality 3rd line, or our defense falling apart.
The defense "falling apart" is directly related to Dubnyk. It's no different when dubnyk is playing great. 2-3 weeks ago everyone around here was talking about being one of the best teams in the West. When your goaltender is playing well, everyone's confidence goes up and everything comes easier. Once a team loses confidence in their goaltender, everything goes to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad