Which depth forward are you most interested in this offseason

Which guy would you prefer to sign?

• Total voters

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I would like to get a better guy to center the third line than Nash or Plekanec and I don't see the need for a veteran center on the fourth line. Looking at the wingers Grabner is going to be the most costly but his ES goal scoring, skating, and PK ability would be ideal. Blake Comeau is an extremely underrated player who would be a nice back up option to Grabner if he becomes too costly or simply wants to sign elsewhere.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Plekanec on a one year prove me contract would address C depth.

Laughton-Plekanec-Simmonds
Raffl-xxx-NAK

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
One of Lindblom/Patrick being pushed down to the 3rd line after Hextall adds a top line forward.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
My personal philosophy is I wouldn't sign any of those guys for the contracts they are going to get as UFAs. I like young 3rd and 4th liners who are entering the peaks of their athleticism. I don't like the veteran 3rd/4th liners who have always been on the fringe, have already played a lot of games and probably given their best performances, and on the dangerous precipice of losing a half step and becoming a league-minimum or AHL caliber player. (See: Matt Read.) Hence, ideally this is what you use the Phantoms for. I'd rather have an open competition among the Phantoms for that open 3rd/4th line role. You get more energy, hunger, & youth, less wear on the tires, and save $$$ that can better be applied toward a more talented player higher up in the lineup.

That said, if I *have* to pick one of the above, I pick Calvert. He's the best PKer on that list -- I think even better than Grabner, though no one is a danger for a SH breakaway like Grabner. Calvert has more jam to his game and has terrific hockey sense. His weakness is lack of size, but plays hard and makes up for it.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I chose Grabner who would do wonders on the 3rd and 4th line, but I still think someone like Bozak would be more worth the money, especially because he can PK, he can win faceoffs and he can get some points.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Patrick is this teams 2nd line center. Why do you want him pushed down to the 3rd line?

I see it as a positive to have 3 lines that can contribute offense. He’d still be on the top PP unit and in my perfect scenario, he’d still have a dynamic winger along side of him.

It wouldn’t be your typical 3rd line that’s role is to primarily check the other team’s team line. You wouldn’t even have to worry about line matching with that depth at center.

Say it was Tavares or ROR:

Giroux-Couturier-X
X-Tavares/ROR-Konecny
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-X

Fill that out with Simmonds, NAK, Vorobyev, UFA’s, Trades, etc.

When Frost is ready, Patrick slides up and you move ROR or Tavares to be one of his wingers.

Can’t get much better forward depth than that.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Love Antoine Roussel. He's like a much more skilled Zac Rinaldo. I'd love to have him on the 4th line on a 2-3 year cheap ass deal.
See I don't want to litter up the 4th line with guys on term as that's where the young kids should be starting and moving up.

I honestly think we only look to add a #3C. If we could add Pleks for the 4th line C spot for 1 year, sure.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
See I don't want to litter up the 4th line with guys on term as that's where the young kids should be starting and moving up.

I honestly think we only look to add a #3C. If we could add Pleks for the 4th line C spot for 1 year, sure.

Agreed. The days of signing players for the 4th line should be over. What the hell are we hoarding draft picks for then slow-cooking them if a few of them can't be NHL 4th liners a few years post draft?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Agreed. The days of signing players for the 4th line should be over. What the hell are we hoarding draft picks for then slow-cooking them if a few of them can't be NHL 4th liners a few years post draft?

I'd be completely fine with signing a 4th liner who can be a net positive at ES (like Roussel) if the kids in question were going to be given real rope in Middle 6 roles and the current chaff was cleared. I don't trust this coaching staff to do that, though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

The kind of middle round picks who end up on the 4th line tend to be marinated slowly (if they were more talented they'd arrive faster and get plugged into bigger roles),
2014 draft: Lindblom in top 6, NAK on the 4th line in 2018-19
2015 draft: Dove-McFalls (fail), Vorobyev and Kase in the AHL, Marody traded for 3rd rd pick
2016 draft: Rubtsov, Laberge, Twarynski, Bunnaman AHL, Allison, Laczynski still in college

So there should be plenty of draft picks available for 4th line duty in 2019-20.
This year we have NAK, MV, Bardreau and Knight. Maybe Vorobyev.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Eh, as long as it is a low dollar amount it doesn't matter. He can easily slide to 13th forward if he gets bumped by a young guy. Signing a bunch of these guys is bad. Signing one is not bad and I have no interest in Plekanac.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Eh, as long as it is a low dollar amount it doesn't matter. He can easily slide to 13th forward if he gets bumped by a young guy. Signing a bunch of these guys is bad. Signing one is not bad and I have no interest in Plekanac.
signing a 4th line winger, is just a move, to make a move. It serves little purpose since we have Laughton, Weal, Weise, Lehtera, NAK, and Raffl who can fill those spots.(ideally Raffl and NAK)

Look around...we no #3C for next year. At #4C, the options are Lehtera, Laughton or Vorobyev(likely not ready).

We ABSOLUTELY could use 2 centers for next year....then likely don't need them the following year when Frost and Vorobyev should be ready.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
None. Dont waste cap on depth. Not in this era. Especially with this regime's track record of pro scouting.

Let's lean on that Hexy drafting that everyone keeps telling me is so infallibly stellar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad