Line Combos: Which defenseman do you see in the Mtl Canadiens lineup in 2026-2027?

Which defenseman do you see in the Mtl Canadiens lineup in 2026-2027?

• Matheson

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Guhle

Votes: 188 98.9%
  • Reinbacher

Votes: 176 92.6%
  • Hutson

Votes: 170 89.5%
  • Xhekaj

Votes: 125 65.8%
  • Barron

Votes: 92 48.4%
  • Struble

Votes: 122 64.2%
  • Kovacevic

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Harris

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Norlinder

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Mailloux

Votes: 122 64.2%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 64 33.7%
  • Konyushkov

Votes: 31 16.3%
  • Nurmi

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Tourigny

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
So according to the polls right now, the top 6/7 in a few years should/will probably look like this to start the season:

Hutson (22) - Reinbacher (22)
Guhle (24) - Mailloux (23)
Struble (25) - Xhekaj (25)
Barron (24)

Would you be happy with this defence core?
If they all play to their potential hell ya. Barron can bounce but I really want to see Engstrom in there too somehow

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Harris erasure around here is insane.. feel like if you aren't a physical player or you don't put up big points then people think there's no point to the player.
I don't hate him

But there's just no room..

I see him as a good trade asset tho, not someone you just trade away for a 5th or something

Reactions: 1909

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't hate him

I see him as a good trade asset tho, not someone you just trade away for a 5th or something

That's what I mean though. It's not that i think he stays long term, but people act like he is a valueless defenseman that can be thrown away at any time.

He's a very good, low maintenance, efficient player who is great as a leader and a person.

I don't think there's a team in the league that wouldn't welcome Jordan Harris and we are in no rush to remove him from our team.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So according to the polls right now, the top 6/7 in a few years should/will probably look like this to start the season:

Hutson (22) - Reinbacher (22)
Guhle (24) - Mailloux (23)
Struble (25) - Xhekaj (25)
Barron (24)

Would you be happy with this defence core?

I find it hard to imagine a defence with all of Hutson, Mailloux and Barron on it. Unless we're going to roll with a run and gun, win 5-4 kind of game plan... those are a lot of defensive deficiencies to cover up. Even Xhekaj has a long way to go in that regard. We don't have the horses on offense to play run and gun.

We may see a future Mailloux vs. Barron battle for who is going to lock down a RD puckmover spot who has lapses in the D zone. Not sure if we can roll with both.

The Greek god Struble has me pretty convinced. I didn't realize he skated this well. There wasn't a whole lot of concern about whether we'd be able to sign him coming out of the NCAA, turns out that was really important.

I think you try to move Savard with retention at this year's deadline to maximize value. I wouldn't move Matheson until the 2025 deadline at the earliest, we're trying to develop our forwards and losing him soon would hurt them.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno
Apr 28, 2010
i always thought it's impossible to have 6 dmen all drafted by the same team to make the lineup but here we are.

guhle-reinbacher
hutson-mailloux
struble-xhekaj

im really all in on these guys. would be nice if harris/barron can accept 7th/8th but i doubt it

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't hate him

Exactly. He's just the odd man out because he's a bit vanilla. In another reality, he'd be welcome here as a future bottom pairing guy. He will have more value to another team, and I think we could grab a top9 forward for him and a pick.

Reactions: Redux91

Jul 6, 2016
Reinbacher, Guhle, Hutson, Mailloux, Struble, Xhakej and Konyushkov
It's also a pretty good group for offense, defense and roughness. They ain't small either.

Matheson, Harris, Engstrom and Barron are all good trade bait. I might be wrong about Barron but I really hate his defensive game.

Hutson 6.6 - Reinbacher 6.2
Guhle 6.3 - Mailloux 6.3
Xhakej 6.4 - Konyushkov 5.11
Struble 6.0
LOL !

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t get the Harris hate tbh. I don’t think we have or will have 6 better dman than him. He’s very good, those calling him a 5th/6th/7th dman are selling him short and overrating some guys who haven’t played pro hockey yet.

I’ll be surprised if Harris is not still a Hab in the next 3-4 years.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I don’t get the Harris hate tbh. I don’t think we have or will have 6 better dman than him. He’s very good, those calling him a 5th/6th/7th dman are selling him short and overrating some guys who haven’t played pro hockey yet.

I’ll be surprised if Harris is not still a Hab in the next 3-4 years.
I don't think he is hated but he is good almost everywhere but excels nowhere, and neither big nor physical. Guhle has the number one spot, then Struble and Xhekaj = Harris but with a physical aspect and a good shot. With Hutson coming, I don't see the place that Harris could have...unless he develops by playing on the right side.And I don’t even talk about Enstrom Who will play in the NHL.
But Harris has #4 potential and could have good market value to get a top 9 forward.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think he is hated but he is good almost everywhere but excels nowhere, and neither big nor physical. Guhle has the number one spot, then Struble and Xhekaj = Harris but with a physical aspect and a good shot. With Hutson coming, I don't see the place that Harris could have...unless he develops by playing on the right side.And I don’t even talk about Enstrom Who will play in the NHL.
But Harris has #4 potential and could have good market value to get a top 9 forward.
Neither Xhekaj or Struble bring a skillset close to Harris. Neither have his poise, IQ, skating and puck handling. They are physical, that’s all they bring above Harris.

I like what Struble is doing, we need that physical presence, but he’s not a better dman than Harris and has never been a better dman than Harris.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Rapala and Redux91

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
At the start of the year:

Guhle-Savard

Matheson-Mailloux

Xhekaj-Barron

Struble

With a year left, I don’t see Savard being traded. As a result, I think he should be in the list. Hutson could sign and spend end of season with Montreal, but I’m expecting that he and Reinbacher play part of next season in Laval.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I’ll play but remember some of us had people like Brook being our PP QB with Juulsen being a vicious shut down skater…

I expect a lineup of Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Struble with Engstrom and Konyushkov on the cusp of making the team. I see Most of the others being moved with maybe Xhekaj being a 7D.

Reactions: Runner77

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Good write up from Engels on this topic and I do think he's correct about us trading Savard at the deadline. So many contenders could use him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Reactions: Rapala and Deebs

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Guhle & Reinbacher : I expect them to be on the team for a long time
Hutson: Perhaps he will be traded down the road if Hugues determines he isn't much of a winner all things considered. But he should still be around in 26-27.
Jack eye : special skillset. If he's good enough to play in the NHL, he'll have his place. Whether guys like Struble outplay him does not matter.

Other guys like Barron, Struble, Mailloux being on the team is a possibility but it's hard to predict who will stay and who will not. The Habs won't necessarily keep the better players of the lot.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That's what I mean though. It's not that i think he stays long term, but people act like he is a valueless defenseman that can be thrown away at any time.

He's a very good, low maintenance, efficient player who is great as a leader and a person.

I don't think there's a team in the league that wouldn't welcome Jordan Harris and we are in no rush to remove him from our team.
I’ve said it for years, he’s a better skating Josh Gorges - nothing wrong w that except his max value is when he’s cost controlled prior to UFA eligibility…. as in right now.

The only way his value increases is if there’s an expectation he can output top-4D role…which o don’t believe he can

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I agree that every team in the league would welcome him. But I still don't think we get a high return for him in a trade.

I think Hughes will be patient and only move him for a good offer. If it doesn't come, we'll either lose him for nothing or rush a trad like the Edmundson trade because we don't have space for him any more.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

He has A LOT of problems with physicality with an otherwise easily replaceable skillset until shown otherwise.

I’ve said it for years, he’s a better skating Josh Gorges - nothing wrong w that except his max value is when he’s cost controlled prior to UFA eligibility…. as in right now.

The only way his value increases is if there’s an expectation he can output top-4D role…which o don’t believe he can
Hehhh... Gorges could handle physicality quite well, in that he'd absolutely get rocked, but could be counted upon to win his share of physical battles and not be pushed off the action. He also couldn't move the puck as well, and had the creativity of a garden shovel.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Starting 84-85 season Habs has Chelios, Tom Kurvers, Svoboda, 3rd season Ludwig

Mike Lalor the following season

- Kurvers suffered an eye injury first half of 84-85 season despite Kurvers-Chelios looking like a stud future pairing … and never was the same again

Within 2-seasons only Chelios remained and Svoboda was on his last legs as a Hab

Things change quickly…

100%.

The good thing about having this pipeline depth is that provides some extra assurance that few of them will pan out, but I'm also sure that a few of them will flop or never even make it, because there are so many elements that come into play for a prospect to make it, and some of them aren't even in the player's control such as your kurvers example.

I feel as fans, we tend to take an overly optimistic view of a talented pipeline thinking nothing wrong will happen along the way, but it's far from reality.

Yes. Things can change quickly. Where was the conversation about struble a year and a half ago? He was almost written off around here.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Lindstrom might be moved too
Lidstrom is the first man out. Savard is a tough call based on our record when he does play. Everythng else is also going to be affected by HuGo's wheeling and dealing. If he can get another asset up front in a similar manner to the Dach or Newhook trade He'll have to dangle a Dman. Everything will depend on the ask. Somehow I doubt Harris' name would come up first but I can see it in a counter offer situation. :dunno:

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Neither Xhekaj or Struble bring a skillset close to Harris. Neither have his poise, IQ, skating and puck handling. They are physical, that’s all they bring above Harris.

I like what Struble is doing, we need that physical presence, but he’s not a better dman than Harris and has never been a better dman than Harris, Dmen like Harris are dime and a dozen in the NHL, he's easily expendable.
Dmen like Harris are dime a dozen in the NHL, he's easily expendable.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad