Which D pair would you choose for the next five seasons?

Which D pair would you choose for the next five seasons?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not saying he's bad, I'm saying every other player listed is better

Definitely not currently.

Not saying this is your thought process but people often confuse great defensive ability with great defensive performance. Rookies get a ton of praise for the former but you're much better off with someone who can do it without the bad games.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean...Werenski-Jones is the one that's shown they can be a difference-making pairing, and both easily have more than 5 years of "prime" left.

Chabot-Makar is like the "stat-magnet" pairing. But i still refuse to acknowledge Chabot being as "elite" as some people seem to have crowned him.

Hughes-McAvoy is the pairing that registers second for me. It's an interesting one, but it's got all the makings of a well-rounded ice-tilting duo that seem like they'd mesh seamlessly.

Bummer that Heiskanen gets saddled with the absolute worst partner of the bunch in terms of a "5 year projection". Kinda takes a strong piece, and puts him out of consideration.

Reactions: Emerz

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I mean...Werenski-Jones is the one that's shown they can be a difference-making pairing, and both easily have more than 5 years of "prime" left.

Chabot-Makar is like the "stat-magnet" pairing. But i still refuse to acknowledge Chabot being as "elite" as some people seem to have crowned him.

Hughes-McAvoy is the pairing that registers second for me. It's an interesting one, but it's got all the makings of a well-rounded ice-tilting duo that seem like they'd mesh seamlessly.

Bummer that Heiskanen gets saddled with the absolute worst partner of the bunch in terms of a "5 year projection". Kinda takes a strong piece, and puts him out of consideration.

Selling Douggie short, IMO.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Selling Douggie short, IMO.

Can't sell Dougie Short enough, for what he is...compared to what some people seem to see him as.

I'd say, "Teach me how to Dougie"...but honestly, it's just not possible. The guy is a soft minutes leech. And not even the good kind.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Choose one D pair for the next five seasons.

Options:

Hughes - McAvoy
Heiskanen - Hamilton
Dahlin - Fox
Werenski - Jones
Chabot - Makar

You included a couple "older" young d-men (Jones and Hamilton) as well as an actual CBJ pair. Just out of curiosity, did you consider including Slavin - Hamilton instead of Heisk - Hamilton? Slavin just turned 26 and should also be more or less in his prime for the 5 season time frame you specified.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You included a couple "older" young d-men (Jones and Hamilton) as well as an actual CBJ pair. Just out of curiosity, did you consider including Slavin - Hamilton instead of Heisk - Hamilton? Slavin just turned 26 and should also be more or less in his prime for the 5 season time frame you specified.

I wanted all the pairs to match Lefty-Righty. It was nothing against Slavin, he’s an excellent player in his own right.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is....such a tough poll. Very well done.

Typically I always try to go with the best player - and in this case, this is Dahlin (for the next 5 years) - but I know very little about Fox TBH. Not sure how he will compare to some of these other players. That last duo is tempting, as is the first one. Even 2 and 4 are very appealing - very even poll.

I think i'll vote option 5. Makar/Chabot

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I wanted all the pairs to match Lefty-Righty. It was nothing against Slavin, he’s an excellent player in his own right.

Slavin - Hamilton do match L-R. My thought wasn't about Slavin getting slighted by being left out; it was more that the two being an actual pair added a different facet to the choice (like Jones - Werenski).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Slavin - Hamilton do match L-R. My thought wasn't about Slavin getting slighted by being left out; it was more that the two being an actual pair added a different facet to the choice (like Jones - Werenski).

Oh gotcha. Yeah, I suppose I could have done it that way.

I wanted Heiskanen to be in one of the pairs though.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Oh gotcha. Yeah, I suppose I could have done it that way.

I wanted Heiskanen to be in one of the pairs though.

Ok, like I said, I was just curious. It would have been interesting to see how the board reacted to what would have arguably been the most "synergistic" pair in the list (Slavin generally viewed as a premier defensive d-man, Hamilton a premier offensive d-man).

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
This was a tough one to answer but I went with the established Werenski-Jones pairing. I just think that this pairing has it all and that both of these players are elite all around producing defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad