Which D pair would you choose for the next five seasons?

Which D pair would you choose for the next five seasons?

• Total voters

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I chose Chabot/Makar as that would be an extremely fun pairing to watch. Heiskanen/Makar would be the ultimate pairing if I were allowed to swap Dmen around.

Reactions: missionAvs

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I chose Chabot/Makar as that would be an extremely fun pairing to watch. Heiskanen/Makar would be the ultimate pairing if I were allowed to swap Dmen around.

I wanted to try and make it as balanced as possible.

Hamilton had an awesome season. 14 goals, 40 points in just 47 games and still only 26-years old.

I also think Dahlin/Fox would mesh really well long term.

Hughes/McAvoy is drool city. Chabot/Makar would be something special.

And of course we already know what Werenski/Jones is capable of doing.

Reactions: Richard88

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
1. Werenski - Jones | Jones is and will be top five defenseman in the league for a while and Werenski is a great fit next to him. This is the best pairing now and will take a while until it's beaten.

2. Chabot - Makar | Both of these guys will great #1D's very soon and Makar might legit become the best defenseman in the league. Yes yes, I'm an Avs fan, hate me.

3. Dahlin - Fox | Dahlin might still become the best of all the players that were used in this poll, but I'm not sold that Fox will be #1D.

4. Hughes - McAvoy | Great, great pairing but top three was just too strong.

5. Heiskanen - Hamilton | I LOVE Heiskanen, but personally I'm not that big of a Hamilton fan.​

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
1. Hughes-McAvoy
very strong pair, I think the two complement each other well. McAvoy should have more norris consideration then what people give him.
2. Dahlin-Fox
Dahlin has the most upside though his results this seasons were weaker than some other young defenseman. Fox however is my current calder pick and is honestly an absolute stud. Hot take but outisde of Hamilton and McAvoy he had the best season of any player available here.
3a. Chabot-Makar
At face value it seems too offensive but in 5 years time Chabot should probably be a solid player going back and Makar should be insane on that front as well.
3b. Heiskanen-Hamilton
Heiskanen is good and Hamilton is one of the best blue-liners in hockey, I'll give it 3b but you can do either way.
5. Werenski-Jones
Love Jones but Werenski is the worst player on this list, so it drags them down.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hughes MacAvoy would be a match made in heaven. The big physical guy who can punish the opponents and the smaller elite skater who can control the play with the puck sticking like a magnet to his stick.

Reactions: MessierII

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Choose one D pair for the next five seasons.

Options:

Hughes - McAvoy
Heiskanen - Hamilton
Dahlin - Fox
Werenski - Jones
Chabot - Makar

where is the too close to call option?

I think one can make a strong case for all 5.

I didn't vote as like I said it's really too close to call but heck I'll go with Werenski-Jones

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think Jones is worse than pretty much every poster on HF does, but the Columbus pair has the fewest flaws and the greatest familiarity with each other.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Great poll question.

And kudos for not making a Heiskanen - Makar option, that would have justly dominated.

I'm less enamored with Chabot as Makar's partner because he is the same type of player. No shutdown presence on that unit.

Dahlin-Fox is mostly potential at this point, no need for the risk with these options.

Heiskanen-Hamilton was maybe the best this year but Hamilton has been very up and down in his career so far, so I'm hesitant.

Hughes-McAvoy is like the advanced stats favorite but I have the same issue with both. I'm not 100% convinced that they carry a team that doesn't have an elite five man unit. I think they'll both be great regardless, just skeptical if they'd be truly dominant if you put them on a team like the Blue Jackets.

Love Jones but Werenski is the worst player on this list, so it drags them down.

A year ago I made the case that Werenski was overrated. Since then he's improved in all areas. Shutdown presence and 20 goals in a short season.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
As much as I like Makar I think Werenski Jones is the right answer here.
I think the only other choice would be Chabot and Makar, but their playstyles are kinda redundant (who is doing the defensive heavy lifting?) and would make for a less effective pair, even if they are more innately talented.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Great poll question.

And kudos for not making a Heiskanen - Makar option, that would have justly dominated.

I'm less enamored with Chabot as Makar's partner because he is the same type of player. No shutdown presence on that unit.

Dahlin-Fox is mostly potential at this point, no need for the risk with these options.

Heiskanen-Hamilton was maybe the best this year but Hamilton has been very up and down in his career so far, so I'm hesitant.

Hughes-McAvoy is like the advanced stats favorite but I have the same issue with both. I'm not 100% convinced that they carry a team that doesn't have an elite five man unit. I think they'll both be great regardless, just skeptical if they'd be truly dominant if you put them on a team like the Blue Jackets.

A year ago I made the case that Werenski was overrated. Since then he's improved in all areas. Shutdown presence and 20 goals in a short season.
I'm not saying he's bad, I'm saying every other player listed is better

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Congrats on making a tough poll, there isn't really a right or wrong answer here. Chabot/Makar is the weakest defensively but still is an elite pairing.

No matter which pairing you have out of these, you take it and run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad