Player Discussion Which d helps the oilers most?

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave

Clum_h7UYAENi34.jpg

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Could use a few more names

Seth Jones?
Linholm?
Fowler?
They gotta be almost as likely as Hamonic right?

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Barring Subban, Hamonic is the only one that would actually improve this team. The rest are just treading water/injury filler. I hope they don't overpay Demers.

I would still do Eberle for Shattenkirk straight up if Shatty signs an extension. Campbell might be intriguing for a year or two but I think he wants to go back to Chicago and would take anything they offered.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
of the guys listed I go with Ellis, he may not be a #1D but he can play all situations. He would easily be on our top pairing and 1st unit PP, Hamonic may be better defensively but Ellis would check all the boxes.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A #3 defense man isn't a good option.
Delusional.

A five and a half-million, six year second pair defenseman with a no-movement clause isn't a good option. Especially when it paired with us exposing Brandon Davidson or Griffin Reinhart.

If we sign Jason Demers I'm assuming we're still trading for a better defenseman?

HeroToNobody

Oct 23, 2014
I think that it's a no-brainer for Chia to go for Hamonic/Shattenkirk/Subban/Barrie/Larsson/any other D-man that is clearly a cut above the rest known to be available for trade/in FA. But, this is only the case if the price is right, or if any of these guys are realistically available for the Oilers. These types of players are turning into more of a less likely option, imo. I feel like Hall for Hamonic + is the only way we acquire Hamonic, Subban is a pipe-dream and I doubt Chia will overpay ridiculously, and it sounds like Shattenkirk probably wouldn't want to sign here (and he's only wanted if an extension can be reached). Thus, barring something just short of a miracle in which we acquire one of the upper echelon of D-men rumoured to be available, I think we are left with a combination of the remaining D-men:

Brodin
Dumba (I'd rather Spurgeon than either of the other Wild D-men, but I feel like he is definitely not as available as Brodin/Dumba)
Ellis
Demers
Hamhuis
Bogosian
Severson
Staal
Wisnewski
Wideman (I know, I know... Would rather him over Wis or Staal though...)
Fowler (seems unlikely due to the divisional aspect)
Campbell (seems unlikely due to rumours of wanting to go to Chicago, but would be a great vet on a 1-2 year deal to mentor our young D like he did in FLA, depending on the other defence acquired)

I've italicized options that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet. In all likelihood, I think we trade for one D-man, which determines the other we go after in FA (most likely Demers or Hamhuis). I'd hope one of the D-men from the trade would be Spurgeon, Ellis, or (if we get lucky) Hamonic/Shatty (more realistic than PK/Faulk/Barrie/etc at least). I'd prefer to stay away from Demers in FA because I feel like we may regret having him AND Sekera on a ~5.5 mil contract with a NMC for the next 5+ years, although (depending on who we get via trade) I would be more than happy to have him. But, depending on who the trade returns, Hamhuis/Campbell may work a lot better.

If the bigger names are in fact unrealistic targets, some combination of:

Spurgeon/Ellis/Fowler/Hamhuis/Demers/Campbell will be the best that we can hope for, with the possibility of acquiring a D-man such as Brodin/Dumba/Bogo/Wideman in a trade that would probably be met with scrutiny from some, depending on the return.

Edit:

I have a feeling Ellis would really thrive here if we could grab him from NSH, the price may be steep though.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
We'll learn everything about Demers July 1. Our guys know him from San Jose. If they aggressively persue him, he was worth it to him. If they don't want any part of him, there will definitely be a reason.

I think it will be the latter rather than the former.

It wouldnt surprise me if the Oilers are really quiet July 1 other than cheap depth guys. I think they want to save that cap space for a trade for a higher end guy. We have enough 3-7 D and Chia knows it. He has to get a top 2 guy and he knows it will cost one of his good players. But the deal has to be there. Not so easy.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think they sign a gritty bottom pairing defenseman as a UFA. Luke Schenn or re-sign Eric Gryba, sub-$2m. A one year deal on Zach Redmond as a depth option might be good. And signing Dan Hamhuis to a 2 or 3 year deal couldn't hurt either, but I think Dallas probably goes hard after him.

Trading a lefty prospect for a waiver-eligible righty like Ryan Sproul or Ryan Murphy could be a good low-risk move. Clendening v2.0.

But the big move we're waiting for might not happen until mid-summer. We've got plenty of options for other teams and they might not make sense for someone until the UFA market thins out, cap situations become more clear and depth charts and expansion slots start to shape out.

The one thing that is certain is the permanent solution isn't available on the UFA market.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I think they sign a gritty bottom pairing defenseman as a UFA. Luke Schenn or re-sign Eric Gryba, sub-$2m. A one year deal on Zach Redmond as a depth option might be good. And signing Dan Hamhuis to a 2 or 3 year deal couldn't hurt either, but I think Dallas probably goes hard after him.

Trading a lefty prospect for a waiver-eligible righty like Ryan Sproul or Ryan Murphy could be a good low-risk move. Clendening v2.0.

But the big move we're waiting for might not happen until mid-summer. We've got plenty of options for other teams and they might not make sense for someone until the UFA market thins out, cap situations become more clear and depth charts and expansion slots start to shape out.

The one thing that is certain is the permanent solution isn't available on the UFA market.

with all due respect, more bottom end d-men, right or left, isn't what the oilers need. they need as good a d-man as they can pry loose from other teams. if they can't get a guy like Subban, then a couple of guys like Fowler and Brodin/Dumba would be great upgrades. "but Fowler is a LD". true, but apparently Davidson can play effectively on the right side.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
of the guys listed I go with Ellis, he may not be a #1D but he can play all situations. He would easily be on our top pairing and 1st unit PP, Hamonic may be better defensively but Ellis would check all the boxes.

Hamonic doesn't play much PP time, cause he's more useful at even strength and on the PK. Regardless Hamonic has gotten 229.22 mins over the past 3 seasons and his powerplay points per 60 was 2.62 over this time frame. Ryan Ellis over this same time frame has a powerplay points per 60 of 2.53.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Demers is the best option, as he simply won't require giving up assets to get.
Sign Demers, trade Yaks for a young D man.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
with all due respect, more bottom end d-men, right or left, isn't what the oilers need. they need as good a d-man as they can pry loose from other teams. if they can't get a guy like Subban, then a couple of guys like Fowler and Brodin/Dumba would be great upgrades. "but Fowler is a LD". true, but apparently Davidson can play effectively on the right side.

We need one good long-term option on defense this summer--the best possible one you can get.

Getting 'a couple of guys' is a short term upgrade but with the rumored asks they're guaranteed to cost you a)significant assets in acquiring them, b)substantial salary for a team who already own three defensemen on substantial contracts and c)another significant asset in Brandon Davidson or Griffin Reinhart at the expansion draft.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I voted Campbell.

I was listening to some "analysis" about how terrible Gudbranson was this year. Him and Willie Mitchell for a clownshow. Eventually they put Campbell with Gud to salvage his worthless season and it worked. Meanwhile Kulikov-Ekblad started having some troubles.

If I knew what I was doing and could verify that Campbell was that money player that made players better and believed he wouldn't trail off.....then I'd offer him 15 million dollars over 2 years.

Too bold? Maybe.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Hamonic
Fowler
Ellis
Demers

Klefbom - Hamonic
Fowler - Sekera
Davidson - Gryba
Reinhart

Or

Klefbom - Hamonic
Sekera - Ellis
Reinhart - Davidson
Whoever?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Barring Subban, Hamonic is the only one that would actually improve this team. The rest are just treading water/injury filler. I hope they don't overpay Demers.

I would still do Eberle for Shattenkirk straight up if Shatty signs an extension. Campbell might be intriguing for a year or two but I think he wants to go back to Chicago and would take anything they offered.

well, sure. that's a steal for Chia if Shatty is signed. but, that's the crux of the deal. Not signed, he's worth.... a 2nd rounder? Davidson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad