Marlies Discussion: Which current Marlies make the Leafs opening roster?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I see it from most to least likely like:

Moore
Rosen
Liljegren
Bracco
Korshkov
Engvall
Borgman
Marchement
Timashov
Carcone
Sandin
Lindgren
Kaskisuo

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Hello gentlemen,

Non Leafs fan here, who can't claim to have seen one minute of the Marlies ever other than highligts. Great thread this one, and certainly interesting for me as an "on paper"-scout only, for fantasy purposes. What surprises me is what seems as close to a concensus of Moore being more highly ranked than Bracco.

Moore - Born 1995. Undrafted. NCAA star stats (not superstar) needing another two years to be a solid producer in the AHL. This season shy of 1 ppg in regular season as well as playoffs.

Bracco - Born 1997. 2nd rounder. Star stats from USDP, OHL (one stint at least) and WJC18. Solid in WJC20. Above 1 ppg in regular season as well as playoffs this year. Very clearly standing out when looking at the Marlies internal scoring race in playoffs (16 with the next guys coming in at 10). Seems like he was the offensive catalyst in the playoffs. I've seen a couple of crazy highlights from the playoff run too. One where he does the "Forsberg-lap" with the puck all around the offensive zone before finishing that play with a great assist.

But despite this Moore's the gem?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Hello gentlemen,

Non Leafs fan here, who can't claim to have seen one minute of the Marlies ever other than highligts. Great thread this one, and certainly interesting for me as an "on paper"-scout only, for fantasy purposes. What surprises me is what seems as close to a concensus of Moore being more highly ranked than Bracco.

Moore - Born 1995. Undrafted. NCAA star stats (not superstar) needing another two years to be a solid producer in the AHL. This season shy of 1 ppg in regular season as well as playoffs.

Bracco - Born 1997. 2nd rounder. Star stats from USDP, OHL (one stint at least) and WJC18. Solid in WJC20. Above 1 ppg in regular season as well as playoffs this year. Very clearly standing out when looking at the Marlies internal scoring race in playoffs (16 with the next guys coming in at 10). Seems like he was the offensive catalyst in the playoffs. I've seen a couple of crazy highlights from the playoff run too. One where he does the "Forsberg-lap" with the puck all around the offensive zone before finishing that play with a great assist.

Moore is an NHL player, he has shown that with the Leafs, nice skill set and hockey sense, Bracco is still a developing prospect that heavily relies on his linemates to give him the puck in the "AHL"

Reactions: Deas

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Hello gentlemen,

Moore is an NHL player, he has shown that with the Leafs, nice skill set and hockey sense, Bracco is still a developing prospect that heavily relies on his linemates to give him the puck in the "AHL"
I would rank Bracco as being ahead of Moore for next season in the lineup. I think Moore is going to carve out a career as a very good bottom 6 player, while I see Bracco as a 60 point offensive producer.

Moore is very quick, strong on the puck and good defensively, but lacks the talent to be productive offensive in the NHL. Bracco on the other hand is incredibly talented with th puck, has elite hockey sense and showed massive improvement from his rookie to sophomore AHL seasons.

Both make the Leafs. One in the top 6, one on the 4th line.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Moore's a higher energy and more robust player. And he's got great speed. Bracco has way better hands and vision as an offensive player but has a few deficiencies that he's still working on (and has made improvement upon). AND he isn't subject to waivers so there no actual hurry to pencil him into the lineup in this October.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I would rank Bracco as being ahead of Moore for next season in the lineup. I think Moore is going to carve out a career as a very good bottom 6 player, while I see Bracco as a 60 point offensive producer.

Moore is very quick, strong on the puck and good defensively, but lacks the talent to be productive offensive in the NHL. Bracco on the other hand is incredibly talented with th puck, has elite hockey sense and showed massive improvement from his rookie to sophomore AHL seasons.

Both make the Leafs. One in the top 6, one on the 4th line.

I don't see Bracco playing a game as a Leaf next season, I see the Leafs using Moore, Petan and the 2 Russians before him. Bracco is just to one dimensional of a player. Brooks, Tima, Marchment, carcone,Engval have all taken big steps this season

Reactions: teddygmr

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I don't see Bracco playing a game as a Leaf next season, I see the Leafs using Moore, Petan and the 2 Russians before him. Bracco is just to one dimensional of a player. Brooks, Tima, Marchment, carcone,Engval have all taken big steps this season
Bracco took the largest step of any of them though. He put up 79 points in the 75 games, more than doubling his previous year totals and was able to move himself up to playing top line minutes. To put that into context, he was 2nd in AHL points and 5th in the playoffs.

I believe Mikheyev will be given every opportunity to make the squad and likely will. Korshkov on the other hand has not done anything to show he's NHL ready. His KHL numbers are unimpressive, he had 1 goal and no assists in 9 AHL games. He clearly needs AHL time to develop.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Hello gentlemen,

Well I mean Moore played 25 regular season games for the Leafs and all 7 playoff games - he even layed out Chara with a hit at 5'10" 174 pounds - so of course he should be considered more likely to be on the Leafs' opening day lineup. For me is a as close to a guarantee as can be. I would be surprised if Bracco makes the opening day roster. Does Bracco have a higher ceiling? Sure. But I love Moore. I remember watching him in the fall of 2017 playing on the Marlies 4th line and wondering why he wasn't higher up the lineup because I just loved the energy - and he is a great underdog makes it to the bigs story. Personally for me, Bracco is an exciting player to watch when he has the puck on the PP. Moore is an exciting player to watch, period.

Reactions: kb and Deas

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Many thanks for great input.

The fantasy GM in me is hoping to nab Bracco late in this year's draft in a dynasty league going on 10 years now. Depending on camp and pre-season outcome of course. Sounds like Moore hits more, but I'm pretty set in that category.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think after the season Bracco just had and what could be a more depleted look at forward he's a shoe in for a spot in the top-9. No one is going to affect the score more in the NHL on the Marlies current roster than Bracco, he would be a big boost on PP#2.

Moore will be there too but to replace Brown. Very similar in quality. Moore is a little grittier and a little quicker and I think they'll score about the same. I see it as a minor upgrade. Bracco a fairly major upgrade on Marleau with upside for a lot more in a year or two.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Hello gentlemen,

It's just a "ready now" thing. Bracco still has to develop his all around game. If you're talking on paper, who you'd want attached in a trade to your team...yes, you'd more than likely want Bracco included, not Moore. But for next year, Moore is almost a for sure and Bracco I'd be shocked to see play a game with the leafs

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Unless Bracco is on your top 2 Leaf lines with either Matty or JT producing points then best to keep developing his leg and core strength and straight ahead speed with Marlies.

It all hinges on roster trades and CAP clearing moves this summer.

But putting him on the 3rd or 4th lines is a complete waste of time for both player and team.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Unless Bracco is on your top 2 Leaf lines with either Matty or JT producing points then best to keep developing his leg and core strength and straight ahead speed with Marlies.

It all hinges on roster trades and CAP clearing moves this summer.

But putting him on the 3rd or 4th lines is a complete waste of time for both player and team.
Kadri would certainly welcome the help on line #3, I think they'd work great together.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
With Gardiner and likely Hainsey gone via UFA, Dermot injured and Zaitsev maybe traded, Leafs need Dmen to step up.
Unfortunately the only Marlies that might be promoted next season is Rosen...possibly Borgman.

Moore is a Leaf now. Bracco could graduate especially looks like a RWer or two from the Leafs could be traded.
Marchand and Timashov might be Leafs...byt just 4th line or press box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad