Which current GMs/execs will make the Hall as builders?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It'll be impossible to keep Ken Holland out. In fact, don't be surprised if he gets in there very soon since builders don't have to be retired to get inducted.

This is years down the road but you have to like Ray Shero's chances too.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It'll be impossible to keep Ken Holland out. In fact, don't be surprised if he gets in there very soon since builders don't have to be retired to get inducted.

This is years down the road but you have to like Ray Shero's chances too.

Shero getting in before his dad would be a travesty.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
One of the reasons I started this thread was to ask whether anyone thought of Brian Burke as a future HOFer.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Shero getting in before his dad would be a travesty.

Yes it would, because Fred deserves it but not because Ray won't though. He just might when all is said and done

One of the reasons I started this thread was to ask whether anyone thought of Brian Burke as a future HOFer.

To this day I am angered that a self proclaimed "hockey man" would continue to push for the crease rule despite what even a monkey would be able to see that it was ruining the game. Burke did just this when he was Bettman's right hand man (Colin Campbell's current job). I've never thought of him the same since then.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Any David Poile fans out there?

While he's done a good job with limited resources, the fact is they've yet to emerge from the first round. That might change this year, but Nashville needs a lot more post-season success for Poile to be considered.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Holland inherited the defending Stanley Cup champions that was already entrenched on a foundation of four Hall of Famers. I have trouble giving him any credit for 1998, and while his signings of Hull and Hasek were vital to the 2002 run, it was still those four, Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, and Lidstrom, all of whom pre-dated him as a GM, that carried the Wings in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, because I consider Holland to be the best GM in the league today. He built the 2008 Cup champion from scratch and his draft record is spectacular. But honestly, the Wings were finding late round gems long before Holland took over. Jim Devellano and Bryan Murray were the builders of Detroit's 3 Cup champions prior to the lockout. I doubt the HHOF will elect two front office executives from one team in one era. Devellano should get the nod.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Jim Devallano

Holland inherited the defending Stanley Cup champions that was already entrenched on a foundation of four Hall of Famers. I have trouble giving him any credit for 1998, and while his signings of Hull and Hasek were vital to the 2002 run, it was still those four, Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, and Lidstrom, all of whom pre-dated him as a GM, that carried the Wings in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, because I consider Holland to be the best GM in the league today. He built the 2008 Cup champion from scratch and his draft record is spectacular. But honestly, the Wings were finding late round gems long before Holland took over. Jim Devellano and Bryan Murray were the builders of Detroit's 3 Cup champions prior to the lockout. I doubt the HHOF will elect two front office executives from one team in one era. Devellano should get the nod.

Jim Devallano was elected in 2010.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Lege...sp?type=Builder&mem=B201001&list=ByName#photo

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
David Poile. Not just for what he did with Nashville but also Washington. Remember the Caps were talking about moving till Poile became the GM and traded for Langway and but up the team's success. When your team is in trouble, you WANT David Poile.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
I think Ken Holland is quite overrated.
What exactly has he built? He was put in an easy position, he did not have to work hard for the "Red Wings like to win (money is not a problem) and treat their players really well" thing.
Draft? Wings have one of the best scouting staff in the business..again, not Holland's doing.

Holland is probably one of the best GM in the NHL, but not HoF worthy just yet IMHO.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Legacy

I think Ken Holland is quite overrated.
What exactly has he built? He was put in an easy position, he did not have to work hard for the "Red Wings like to win (money is not a problem) and treat their players really well" thing.
Draft? Wings have one of the best scouting staff in the business..again, not Holland's doing.

Holland is probably one of the best GM in the NHL, but not HoF worthy just yet IMHO.

As a GM/Exec/Owner one of the biggest challenges is not building but sustaining the legacy that you are given or that you buy. Some have managed very well - Sam Pollock. Ken Holland fits the criteria of having sustained a legacy.

The list of those who do not is much longer. Irving Grundman, Harold Ballard, Jeremy Jacobs amongst many.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
I'll go outside the box: Rocky Wirtz. Without Rocky's help, the Blackhawks may as well be as irrelevant as they did when his dad was running things.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Brian Burke could get in on the basis that he's a high profile guy and a pretty good self promoter. He's got a cup, he has a high profile post, and if the Leafs emerge as contenders for a while that will be a serious feather in his cap, and if they win a cup somehow, that's an entire head dress. He's a mainstay on the USA Hockey international scene, he used to be the VP of the NHL. Not necessarily suggesting he should, but he has built himself a shiny CV.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Can a person be inducted into both categories? For example, if a HOF player went on to become a HOF coach or GM, could he be inducted as a builder even if he is already in as a player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad