Which contracts are responsible/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 12, 2003
hockeytown9321 said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=99378&hubName=nhl

I'd also add in Thornton's rookie contract, and the offer sheet Carolina made to Fedorov in 1998.

Anybody think of other deals that raised the bar?

I agree with the examples given in the article, but I don't see the parallels in your two examples.

Thornton's rookie contract surely kept the bar raised high, but other than Kovalchuk, I can't really think of too many who benefited by comparing to the Thornton contract.

Same with the Fedorov contract. That ended up being one of the last, if not the last offer sheet that was signed. There were not other contracts that were top loaded with all incentives and a lower guarantee like that. It no doubt helped to raise the bar for UFA's like Turgeon & Roenick, but I think the Sakic contract is more responsible for the Federov contract and so on.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
GoCoyotes said:
I agree with the examples given in the article, but I don't see the parallels in your two examples.

Thornton's rookie contract surely kept the bar raised high, but other than Kovalchuk, I can't really think of too many who benefited by comparing to the Thornton contract.

Same with the Fedorov contract. That ended up being one of the last, if not the last offer sheet that was signed. There were not other contracts that were top loaded with all incentives and a lower guarantee like that. It no doubt helped to raise the bar for UFA's like Turgeon & Roenick, but I think the Sakic contract is more responsible for the Federov contract and so on.

Right, I'm just thinking of contracts that were huge for their time.

Fedorov got something like $28 million for 4 months of work in 98. I know his deal averaged out to about $6 million a year, but the Red Wings were thinking more in the $4-5 million range when resigning him. And just for the record, that offer sheet was made of of spite, becuase Karmanos and Ilitch don't like each other, and Karmanos knew Ilitch would match it. And Karmanos is one of the owners crying and complaining now.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
hockeytown9321 said:
And just for the record, that offer sheet was made of of spite, becuase Karmanos and Ilitch don't like each other, and Karmanos knew Ilitch would match it. And Karmanos is one of the owners crying and complaining now.

Exhibit A right there about why this league is where it is...

Too many owners trying to throw each other under the bus for the benefit of their own franchise, not enough owners regarding each other as partners in a larger business.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
hockeytown9321 said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=99378&hubName=nhl

I'd also add in Thornton's rookie contract, and the offer sheet Carolina made to Fedorov in 1998.

Anybody think of other deals that raised the bar?

Prospects using the college loophole to become UFAs who get bigger than usual salaries. This promotes envy amoungst other rookies.

TO offered Ohlund $2m/y as a rookie. That hurt the nucks, but I don't think it flowed through to the NHL as whole.

Last edited:

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
me2 said:
Prospects using the college loophole to become UFAs who get bigger than usual salaries. This promotes envy amoungst other rookies.

TO offered Ohlund $2m/y as a rookie. That hurt the nucks, but I don't think it flowed through to the NHL as whole.

I don't think any of these contracts flowed through to the NHL as a whole. The articles is wrong about both the Kariya and Lindros contracts because neither player was governed by the entry level salary structure.

The Sakic contract did lead to the Lindros one. The Fedorov contract was also crazy and probably cost the NHL more than any other deal. Both Jagr and Bure had clauses in their contracts that went:

"If Pavel gets 40 goals, 90 points in season X, he is guaranteed the average of the top three players in the NHL." His salary jumped from $5 million to nearly $9 million when Fedorov made $28 million. Tkachuk's deal - another ill-advised RFA offered contract - was also inflationary.

When these offers were being made, salaries were increasing from 15-20% a year. Those kinds of increases ended several years ago. There is a clear distinction to be made between players who came into the NHL before the new CBA and after the new CBA.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad