OT: Which Company to Use to Ship Bulky Items From Alberta to the US?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am in a situation where I may need to ship some family heirlooms from Alberta to us here in Hawai'i. This would be a first and I know that it won't be cheap. Does anyone have experience with having large items like furniture, trunks, etc. shipped from Alberta to the US? If so which company and did they do good by you in terms of making sure that things didn't get damaged and a reasonable price?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I am in a situation where I may need to ship some family heirlooms from Alberta to us here in Hawai'i. This would be a first and I know that it won't be cheap. Does anyone have experience with having large items like furniture, trunks, etc. shipped from Alberta to the US? If so which company and did they do good by you in terms of making sure that things didn't get damaged and a reasonable price?
Where in can, where on the us?what is bulky? 1000kg? The pandemic has changed shipments, but the best way to protect stuff in transit is to crate the stuff appropriately.

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Where in can, where on the us?what is bulky? 1000kg? The pandemic has changed shipments, but the best way to protect stuff in transit is to crate the stuff appropriately.

Edmonton area, all the way to Hawai'i. I can't be there to crate it and the relatives that are there aren't very helpful so I can't count on them to crate it. I am not exactly sure but it sounds like a fairly heavy trunk so I'm assuming under 50ish kilograms. I am awaiting the dims. It's an old trunk from my wife's grandmother.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Edmonton area, all the way to Hawai'i. I can't be there to crate it and the relatives that are there aren't very helpful so I can't count on them to crate it.
Crating is key. Sea shipment or air makes a difference, about 10fold. It’s not really a shipping job until it’s crated.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Crating is key. Sea shipment or air makes a difference, about 10fold. It’s not really a shipping job until it’s crated.

Air would be extremely expensive. Sea would be fine if it were in a shipping container.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Calculate Time and Cost for Freight: UPS - Canada

Freight Forwarder In Calgary | Connect To The World | Ocean-Air Freight Ltd

Top link is UPS. A UPS store can package and crate your items.

Bottom link is a company out of Calgary. They can probably crate them as well.

I’ve used UPS tons of times for very expensive and in some cases very heavy military antiques, including packing and never once an issue.

Thanks, we have freight shipped via UPS lots but sometimes when items are over 150lbs. I believe that they won't ship them via "normal" UPS. So you just took the heavy items to the UPS store and they packaged them for you? The unfortunate part is that my MIL isn't able to carry it to take it to the UPS store and it sounds like it usually takes 2 people to carry it.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thanks, we have freight shipped via UPS lots but sometimes when items are over 150lbs. I believe that they won't ship them via "normal" UPS. So you just took the heavy items to the UPS store and they packaged them for you? The unfortunate part is that my MIL isn't able to carry it to take it to the UPS store and it sounds like it usually takes 2 people to carry it.

Sorry for the late reply, was on the road all day. Yes UPS would box and / or crate whatever I had for shipment and many were fragile items 100+ years old. You paid for it but if they packaged it and shipped it. The nice thing then was any damage claims were automatic. But never had to use a damage claim once.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sorry for the late reply, was on the road all day. Yes UPS would box and / or crate whatever I had for shipment and many were fragile items 100+ years old. You paid for it but if they packaged it and shipped it. The nice thing then was any damage claims were automatic. But never had to use a damage claim once.

MIL talked to UPS today and they said that the max weight that they'd take would be 75lbs. This makes no sense to me as I have gone to UPS and picked up 175lb. equipment at the depot because they wouldn't deliver it. The dims are 40"L x 19"W x 21"H and the weight is estimated to be between 60 and 100lbs. Was this between Canada and the US?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
MIL talked to UPS today and they said that the max weight that they'd take would be 75lbs. This makes no sense to me as I have gone to UPS and picked up 175lb. equipment at the depot because they wouldn't deliver it. The dims are 40"L x 19"W x 21"H and the weight is estimated to be between 60 and 100lbs. Was this between Canada and the US?

I’ve shipped globally but nothing over 75 lbs. The store I used near my house sadly closed a couple years ago and they were fantastic. I know the owner of a couple UPS stores here in Edmonton that I now deal with and he is very helpful and goes the extra mile. Let me know if you want his contact number and I can DM you the contact info.

You might want to try the freight forwarders out of Calgary in that other link as well.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I’ve shipped globally but nothing over 75 lbs. The store I used near my house sadly closed a couple years ago and they were fantastic. I know the owner of a couple UPS stores here in Edmonton that I now deal with and he is very helpful and goes the extra mile. Let me know if you want his contact number and I can DM you the contact info.

You might want to try the freight forwarders out of Calgary in that other link as well.
Yes, or mail me tomorrow. Alberonnmindeater@gmail.com

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad