Which Cities on the Road do Leaf fans dominate?

HookeyPlayer

Jan 30, 2012
After watching the two games in Florida, I think it goes without saying that Leaf fans are in a class of their own. In the history of sports itself, for a team which has underachieved so frequently and whose owners feel the need to increase prices incrementally every season, the loyalty to the brand is unheard of.

We've seen throughout the years, that Leaf fans are gonna make their presence felt, through thick and thin.

But for this particular fragile group, Im worried that this may be adding a little too much pressure on their shoulders. It just seems that when the Leafs are expected to win, they fold.

Anyways was hoping someone could list out the cities where Leafs fans are known to frequent in droves.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
After watching the two games in Florida, I think it goes without saying that Leaf fans are in a class of their own. In the history of sports itself, for a team which has underachieved so frequently and whose owners feel the need to increase prices incrementally every season, the loyalty to the brand is unheard of.

We've seen throughout the years, that Leaf fans are gonna make their presence felt, through thick and thin.

But for this particular fragile group, Im worried that this may be adding a little too much pressure on their shoulders. It just seems that when the Leafs are expected to win, they fold.

Anyways was hoping someone could list out the cities where Leafs fans are known to frequent in droves.

Well we do well down there because there are a lot of families from Toronto in Florida right now on holidays. A lot of retirees from Toronto also go down to Florida to live also. Other than those two places and maybe Arizona (I think a lot retire or go on holidays there too), unless it's pretty close, you probably don't see many more Leafs fans in the stands than the standard.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Buffalo is usually more Leafs fans than Sabres, Ottawa falls into this category. 2 cities very close to Toronto and southern Ontario.

Detroit, with it's proximity to Windsor always has tons of Leafs fans - Windsor is pretty much 35-35 split with the other 30% consisting of MTL fans and a smattering of others.

Columbus is a good one, it's not far, and seems like they don't sell out and tickets are cheap.

Seems like a lot of Leafs fans (likely transplants) get to games in Calgary, Edm, and Van too, although not like Buffalo.

TB and FLA are good as the Leafs seem to be there when fans can time a vacation or live down there in winter.

I went to the conference finals in 2002 in Raleigh, NC for game 5, and it was over 50% Leafs fans, and that is a 14 hr drive from Windsor. What an experience that was!!!!!

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
What I am amazed at is how there is so many young Leaf fans at these games out west. For how long this team has been bad, its amazing how so many fans in their 20's and 30's there are. Usually a lot of young people cling onto winners first and then stick with them.

Feb 24, 2004
What I am amazed at is how there is so many young Leaf fans at these games out west. For how long this team has been bad, its amazing how so many fans in their 20's and 30's there are. Usually a lot of young people cling onto winners first and then stick with them.

Transplants.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Pretty much anywhere within a reasonable amount of time for driving distance and where the cost of going to the game (tickets, hotel, gas, food, etc) is reasonable will have many Leaf fans travel to see a game.

Like posters have mentioned above fans will drive to Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Boston, Columbus and even to New York Rangers/Islanders if possible although New York is expensive typically for travel.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Buffalo (90 min away), Detroit (4 hrs away), Ottawa (5 hrs away), Columbus (8 hrs away), Minnesota (15 hrs away), and both Florida and the 3 California teams from the snowbirds, vacationers and tourists.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Transplants.

It still amazes me how there are so many young fans of this team. They have been bad for so long now. I remember when I lived in the GTA and how many young fans of other teams there are. I would have thought there would be a lot more.

What amazes me more is fans would want to spend money on this team the last 2 seasons.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Who cares if Leaf fans DOMINATE other fans in their home rinks! The current Leafs do nothing to repay us, their fans! I was in Buffalo, and, the team played like utter crap despite having a large number of Leaf fans cheering them on.

I wish Leaf fans would just stay away! It doesn't appear to help the Leafs play harder on the road. I also don't like giving the opposing teams the revenue. MLSE gives enough money, that opposing teams use to beat us, via revenue sharing!!! This pisses me off big time.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Tampa was by far the best road game we've been to. Tickets were very reasonable. Atmosphere was fantastic. The pre-game events and in stadium food was terrific.

I can't issue a single complaint about seeing the Leafs in Tampa.

Sad though that when I took my kids to a game after at the ACC they wondered why it was so quiet vs what they had experienced in other cities. I guess because that is the fan that MLSE wants there I guess.

2nd place would go to Montreal. Loud, as it should be.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Buffalo (90 min away), Detroit (4 hrs away), Ottawa (5 hrs away), Columbus (8 hrs away), Minnesota (15 hrs away), and both Florida and the 3 California teams from the snowbirds, vacationers and tourists.

It's pretty good being a Leafs fan in Windsor: Detroit (1 min), Toronto (4 hrs), Columbus (3hrs), Chicago (4-5 hrs), Pittsburgh (4.5 hrs), Buffalo (4 hrs), Ottawa (8 hrs), even St. Louis (8 hrs).

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I went to the conference finals in 2002 in Raleigh, NC for game 5, and it was over 50% Leafs fans, and that is a 14 hr drive from Windsor. What an experience that was!!!!!

I was at each game of that series and I while i remember a Leaf fan contingent in Carolina, I don't remember anything close to over fifty percent.

Spanks

Oct 23, 2011
Went to the Leafs game in Raleigh last year, and attendance was about 10-20% Leafs fans.

Leafs fans were relatively quiet that game. Though, it's probably because there weren't too many of us and we got blown out 6-1...

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You could sub in any of the O6 teams in this thread. They all travel well (i.e. they are big metro markets with an old and strong hockey fan base with lots of transplants all over the States and CA).

I feel bad for the Florida teams in-particular. Feels like all their games against O6 teams are really away games.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Leafs and Habs fans are on another level compared to the other O6 teams.

I've seen the Rags play Florida, it's not even close.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It still amazes me how there are so many young fans of this team. They have been bad for so long now. I remember when I lived in the GTA and how many young fans of other teams there are. I would have thought there would be a lot more.

What amazes me more is fans would want to spend money on this team the last 2 seasons.

most fans cheer for the team closest to them geographically, that only makes sense, if you live in Ontario, you're probably a Leaf or Senators fan. Just because the Kings won the cup wouldn't make you a fan and how can you watch them all the time unless you have a sport's package that most young people can't afford.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I was at each game of that series and I while i remember a Leaf fan contingent in Carolina, I don't remember anything close to over fifty percent.

I had my tickets after game 2, knowing there would be a game 5. it was close to 50% Leafs fans. My buddy and I walked around the arena area late that morning, and there were Leafs fans being turned away at the box office, or been given "nose bleed" seats because they had Ontario driver's licenses. I kid you not.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I had my tickets after game 2, knowing there would be a game 5. it was close to 50% Leafs fans. My buddy and I walked around the arena area late that morning, and there were Leafs fans being turned away at the box office, or been given "nose bleed" seats because they had Ontario driver's licenses. I kid you not.

You have to show your drivers license? why?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
One year I kept count of the number of away arenas I heard 'Go Leafs Go' in. It was over half the league (don't remember the exact number). Not to say Leaf fans 'dominated' in these arenas (I think only Buffalo, Ottawa, and perhaps Detroit are the three ones where the split is close to 50/50), but the presence was heard nonetheless.

You could probably add cities like Pittsburgh and Washington to that list as well, cities where Leaf fans used to predominate before being pushed out by the local bandwagons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad