GDT: Which cheap rental is going to anger us in 23-24? roster building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think it will be zucker. Good 2 way numbers and can score. He likely struggles in Zona because of Zona’s roster. He would make a cheap add that likely is better than his numbers with Zona will suggest.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wouldn’t be angry about zucker or Henrique. I would be legit tickled with kessel and can’t quite figure out why he’s not signed anywhere other than maybe he doesn’t really want to. I just think he’d be super fun to watch

I can think of a few reasons:
He’ll be 36 to start the season
He’s never taken great care of his body.
He doesn’t really play defense
He was a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs.
He averaged only 11 goals per season the last 2 years while playing all 82 games each year.

I don’t think he’d be much fun to watch because a guy like that probably wouldn’t get on the ice much on a RBA coached team.

I suspect he’ll sign somewhere, as there are probably still teams that could take a chance if he’s cheap.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Ideally, we somehow convince Kane to don a Canes jersey, assuming he is healthy around December.

Bunting-Aho-Kane
Svech-KK-Necas
Turbo-Staal-Jarvis
Marty-Drury-Fast

That would be next level ridiculous.

If Kane is just a shell of himself then disregard all.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm fine with our strategy of smaller depth adds if we could just have slightly better injury luck.

19-20 Pesce and Hamilton (played because of the delayed bubble but didn't feel quite himself) with huge injuries
20-21 Slavin hobbled before the playoffs
21-22 Freddie done
22-23 Patches to an extent, but really Svech

If guys get banged up once you're in, so be it. That's the name of the playoff game. It'd just be nice to compete without a massive injury to a crucial player before things begin.

Now, if they decide to make a big add because they now have a better idea of the picture beyond this season, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I don't expect anything more than them to be in on big things and we'll see what happens.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm hoping that with the added cap space, the FO goes more for a player who can make an impact long-term. One impediment in the last few offseasons for such an add has been lack of deadline cap space due to LTIR. This year, hopefully, will be different.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
@mikeyfan

Maybe Zegras will be available. He is another Necas who likely wouldn’t play center here.

I don’t think we push the value needed for him.

Maybe though

No f***ing way Anaheim is giving up a guy who's likely a 1C in this league unless there's an unreported trade request that nobody is talking about. Pettersson at the deadline is likelier than Zegras, and that chance is microscopic on its own!

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
No f***ing way Anaheim is giving up a guy who's likely a 1C in this league unless there's an unreported trade request that nobody is talking about. Pettersson at the deadline is likelier than Zegras, and that chance is microscopic on its own!
All signs point to Zegras being disrespected by the contract offers so far.

He might play center for a team that lacks talent but his play isn’t indicative of a successful center in this league.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
All signs point to Zegras being disrespected by the contract offers so far.

He might play center for a team that lacks talent but his play isn’t indicative of a successful center in this league.

I didn't say that he is right now. I'm saying that he has all of the passing skills and elite offensive sense to become that sort of franchise center in his prime. Teams don't usually trade those kinds of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad