Line Combos: Which Canucks defense is better?

What defense is better?

• Total voters

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's hard not to vote for the lineup with Myers because I am assuming that Hughes is going to step into a top 4 role. So I think the effect of having Myers over Schenn is greater than having Hutton taking more minutes or Hutton vs Benn.

Statistically speaking, Myers' weakness is on the defensive side of things. In terms of the ability to move the puck up ice Myers is better than Hutton. So presumably the Canucks will be better at moving the puck up ice but not so much defending.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It's hard not to vote for the lineup with Myers because I am assuming that Hughes is going to step into a top 4 role. So I think the effect of having Myers over Schenn is greater than having Hutton taking more minutes or Hutton vs Benn.

Statistically speaking, Myers' weakness is on the defensive side of things. In terms of the ability to move the puck up ice Myers is better than Hutton. So presumably the Canucks will be better at moving the puck up ice but not so much defending.

I think Hutton and Myers are more or less equally effective players. Myers just gets paid 2mil more.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I do appreciate that the front office identified the defense being a need and didn't do something utterly Pejorative Slured like sign a bunch of bottom six'ers to inflated contracts.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Benn is better than Schenn.

Myers is roughly the same as Hutton.

Hughes should improve.

So marginally better.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hutton is ok when not with Guds.

Myers is closer to Gudbranson than Hutton in his own end.

Hutton is a career -75 in 4 seasons being over -20 3 times and has never had a positive corsi. Myers was a traffic cone last season but previously had some decent years.

Gudbranson is a new level of bad that should never be spoken of. Nobody compares to Gudbranson.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hutton is a career -75 in 4 seasons being over -20 3 times and has never had a positive corsi. Myers was a traffic cone last season but previously had some decent years.

Gudbranson is a new level of bad that should never be spoken of. Nobody compares to Gudbranson.

+/- is not a stat I put any weight on.

upload_2019-7-1_8-41-14.png

Heavy offensive deployment and not much better CF% than Hutton.
(And Hutton was strapped to a rocket going downwards in Gudbranson for good portion of last season.)

I wont be able to convince you now. We will have to wait and see I guess.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
+/- is not a stat I put any weight on.

View attachment 241733

Heavy offensive deployment and not much better CF% than Hutton.
(And Hutton was strapped to a rocket going downwards in Gudbranson for good portion of last season.)

I wont be able to convince you now. We will have to wait and see I guess.

Im not saying Myers is good defensively. Im saying they are both trash. Myers cf was respectable the past 3 years before last year and Hutton's has never been good. Even the season gudbranson only played like 30 games. We shall see what? That both Myers and Hutton are bad defensively? I think I already know.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Hutton can't anchor a pair. He's small plus overall decent players (Edler Tanev Stecher) and huge minus with crap (Gudbranson MDZ and Pouliot). He was asked too do too much last year, he's not able to step up and take heavy minutes but he's fine in a 3rd pairing/2nd pairing injury situation, just so long as he doesn't have to carry rubbish while doing it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'd probably take Hutton over Myers, while I'd take Benn over Schenn. It's kind of a wash but older with a larger price-tag. The former two had limited upside but at least trended upward last season.

Edler and Tanev will likely regress, but Stecher might improve further and if Hughes is ready, he could be an equalizer.

The future of the D looks very bad regardless, though.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Im not saying Myers is good defensively. Im saying they are both trash. Myers cf was respectable the past 3 years before last year and Hutton's has never been good. Even the season gudbranson only played like 30 games. We shall see what? That both Myers and Hutton are bad defensively? I think I already know.

Corsi%

YrTylerBen
2016-1744.351.3
2017-1848.148.8
2018-1946.346.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
It if we compare the opening roster from the last 2 years

2018/2019

Edler Tanev
MDZ Gudbranson
Pouliot Stecher
Hutton Biega

Vs

2019/2020

Edler Tanev
Hughes Myers
Benn Stecher
Biega

One of Sautner or Brisebois
Juolevi AHL

2019/2020 is a hugh upgrade

Most likely 2nd pp unit we don't need to use F at the point. We can use Edler Myers on the 2nd uniy and Hughes on the 1st unit.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It if we compare the opening roster from the last 2 years

2018/2019

Edler Tanev
MDZ Gudbranson
Pouliot Stecher
Hutton Biega

Vs

2019/2020

Edler Tanev
Hughes Myers
Benn Stecher
Biega

One of Sautner or Brisebois
Juolevi AHL

2019/2020 is a hugh upgrade

Most likely 2nd pp unit we don't need to use F at the point. We can use Edler Myers on the 2nd uniy and Hughes on the 1st unit.
That wasn't the question being asked, though. I think everyone agrees that this defense is likely stronger (well, less abysmal) than the beginning of last year.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
It's just going to be hilarious when Tanev and Edler go down and seeing Myers take the top pairing minutes and how much of a train wreck that's going to be. And no one could've predicted the injuries.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Next season is better in terms of actual talent but worse in terms of value for money

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Corsi%

YrTylerBen
2016-1744.351.3
2017-1848.148.8
2018-1946.346.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Wait, so Myers is Ben Hutton with Offense and size? Except Hutton arguably had his numbers dragged down by Gudbranson, while Myers had his numbers inflated? :dunno:

If that's true, this could potentially be a legitimate upgrade? Going to be interesting to see how Myers does here, if he's as bad as some say, or as good as the other crew say.

Either way, he's not Gudbranson level for me just yet. Gotta see him play some games with our team/actually be signed first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad