Line Combos: Which Canucks defense is better?

What defense is better?

• Total voters

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
For an organization that wanted to IMPROVE their defense, I don't think that the Canucks got that much better there, if at all.

Let's see what the board thinks. (D pairings obviously subject to change)

End of 2018/2019:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn

2019/2020:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
For an organization that wanted to IMPROVE their defense, I don't think that the Canucks got that much better there, if at all.

Let's see what the board thinks. (D pairings obviously subject to change)

End of 2018/2019:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn

2019/2020:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Next seasons without a doubt

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Next seasons without a doubt
I honestly don't think it's 'without a doubt', which is why I made the poll.

I think Benn and Hutton are essentially a wash. Slight edge to Benn on the short term maybe, but losing Hutton's longer term potential was a loss for the Canucks.

Myers is better than Schenn, but I'd question how much better.

Also taking into account the potential regression of Tanev (who was already regressing last season) and Edler, I don't think it's that far off to say that the team really didn't improve here much at all, despite spending likely a lot more money on the defense.

I know these are not the be all and end all, but I'll post these anyways:

wLOhARR.jpg

8YiqIhf.png

Keep in mind, Schenn was also misused on many of his teams prior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I honestly don't think it's 'without a doubt', which is why I made the poll.

I think Benn and Hutton are essentially a wash. Slight edge to Benn on the short term, but losing Hutton's longer term potential was a loss for the Canucks.

Myers is better than Schenn, but I'd question how much better.

Also taking into account the potential regression of Tanev (who was already regressing last season) and Edler, I don't think it's that far off to say that the team really didn't improve here much at all, despite spending likely a lot more money on the defense.

Hutton is already 26, what you see now is pretty much what you are getting going forward until he declines.

Myers is like a number 4/5. Most teams he is not lower than a number 4 D. Myers has no problem staying in the nhl. Schenn wasn't even in the nhl for the most part last season. Schenn is a 6/7 D. Myers can put up 30 points a season. Schenn will struggle to even get 10 points a season.

I think this poll will get lock pretty soon

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Next seasons.
The problem is that’s it not really a fair poll as the total salary for next seasons will be way higher. That’s the issue.
Maybe a better poll is would you prefer last years group plus Benn and a top six forward eg Nyquist vs this years group.
I think I’d go with the first option tbh.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I'm expecting Edler - Myers to be a trainwreck pairing in their own end. Like two bambi's on skates.

I like the other 2 pairings.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Next seasons.
The problem is that’s it not really a fair poll as the total salary for next seasons will be way higher. That’s the issue.
Maybe a better poll is would you prefer last years group plus Benn and a top six forward eg Nyquist vs this years group.
I think I’d go with the first option tbh.

The problem with this argument is that the forward group is also looking better. So it is not like we have lost anything from the forward group because we improved the defense.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Hutton is already 26, what you see now is pretty much what you are getting going forward until he declines.

Myers is like a number 4/5. Most teams he is not lower than a number 4 D. Myers has no problem staying in the nhl. Schenn wasn't even in the nhl for the most part last season. Schenn is a 6/7 D. Myers can put up 30 points a season. Schenn will struggle to even get 10 points a season.

I think this poll will get lock pretty soon
26 is still young for many defensemen. Defensemen develop later than forwards, usually. Hutton still had potential to be something greater, no doubt in my mind.

Myers is a #5 by my calculation. You could argue Schenn is a strong #6 and was becoming a weaker #5 by the time the end of the season came.

Does Myers put up 30 points on the Canucks? I doubt it. He was in a better situation in Winnipeg to put up points imo, but we'll see.

The point is, the marginal improvement imo, at best, is not worth the money the Canucks are going to be likely spending.

I think the defense got better offensively, but defensively, I don't really see that much of an improvement at all.

Is Myers that much better defensively than Schenn?

Is Benn that much better defensively than Hutton?

We'll see.

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
26 is still young for many defensemen. Defensemen develop later than forwards, usually. Hutton still had potential to be something greater, no doubt in my mind.

Myers is a #5 by my calculation. You could argue Schenn is a strong #6 and was becoming a weaker #5 by the time the end of the season came.

Does Myers put up 30 points on the Canucks? I doubt it. He was in a better situation in Winnipeg to put up points imo, but we'll see.

The point is, the marginal improvement imo, at best, is not worth the money the Canucks are going to be likely spending.

I think the defense got better offensively, but defensively, I don't really see that much of an improvement at all.

Is Myers that much better defensively than Schenn?

Is Benn that much better defensively than Hutton?

We'll see.

Forwards might develope faster than D but most 26 year old regardless if they are a D or F don't get much better when they get to that age.

Jets was only a cup contending team for 2 years. They were bad not too long ago. Myers still put up a ppg at least 30 P per 82 games schedule when Jets were bag. Myers has average at least 30 P per 82 games schedule every year except for one season. Regardless if he plays on a good or bad team he still put up that many points.

Hutton vs Benn we can call it even.

No question Myers is a lot better than Schenn. It's not even debateable.

Your poll is at 0% so far for last year D.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
"No question Myers is a lot better than Schenn"

Gudbranson is like Myers-lite. Myers is better offensively and a better skater than Gudbranson. Other than that? You'd be hard pressed to find much different about their quality of defensive games.

Obviously Myers is better at playing higher minutes than Schenn, and you could argue that makes him better 'defensively', but he is also prone to many gaffes and I question whether the defensive quality will be much different.

Raw positive impact on a game I think Myers is better, but at keeping pucks out of the net, I don't really think there's too much of a difference here between the players.

But again, I am willing to be proven wrong by his play on the ice.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
potential regression of Tanev (who was already regressing last season) and Edler,
Good post but Benn needs to be factored into the regression as well at age 32.

You're right though, it's a really tough call. For me Myers is a slight upgrade over Schenn and Hutton is better than Benn so it's close to a wash.

Reactions: clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Good post but Benn needs to be factored into the regression as well at age 32.

You're right though, it's a really tough call. For me Myers is a slight upgrade over Schenn and Hutton is better than Benn so it's close to a wash.
Absolutely.

I don't think it's so set in stone that this year's defense will be better as a lot of people seem to think.

I'm making the 'bold' prediction that the Canucks defense got no better from the end of 2018/19, after Gudbranson and Pouliot were gone.

I really don't see anything special in Myers other than his above average height and knack for being able to get 25-30 points from the back end.

I just think he's the type of d-man that's a dying breed in the NHL, even though he's a surprisingly decent skater for his height. I think he's going to get walked repeatedly in Vancouver, and I think he's going to make gaffes that will be very similar to Gudbranson's time here.

Would love to be proven wrong by his game.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Given that Myers is a third pairing defenceman who was extremely sheltered last year, he’ll be slaughtered on the top paring with Edler. When you factor in cap space and salary, which is so important at the moment, I think last years is a better overall defence.
I honestly think Canucks fans will be frustrated as hell with a player like this. A guy as big as Myers who doesn't use his size effectively, and gets walked by high skill speedsters (which are more and more prominent nowadays).

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Next years D and team is looking better with Myers, Benn and TJ Miller, the things I like is we’re getting bigger and adding grit with Miller and Benn. If we can just start to dump some of the fat in the bottom 6 forward group now (Sutter and Ericksson) don’t re-sign Granlund

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Given that Myers is a third pairing defenceman who was extremely sheltered last year, he’ll be slaughtered on the top paring with Edler. When you factor in cap space and salary, which is so important at the moment, I think last years is a better overall defence.
I agree and voted the same way for similar reasons. Myers locks in an Eriksson-like presence on the bottom four for years beyond the life expectancy of the current regime. If he starts the season on the first pairing we're in for a rough ride. Also, the age decline could be rapid with Benn; could wind up being a problematic contract itself.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I honestly think Canucks fans will be frustrated as hell with a player like this. A guy as big as Myers who doesn't use his size effectively, and gets walked by high skill speedsters (which are more and more prominent nowadays).

Well said. This is a player I never really cared for and who I now absolutely loathe. This is shaping up to be the worst offseason I can recall in 25 years of watching this team.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Let's just wait until tomorrow when we have an idea what the D actually will be. Who knows, maybe some other teams will rescue Benning from his own stupidity and make monstrous offers to Myers and Benn that Benning can't counter.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
In fact I really think he has all of the makings of the traditional whipping boy here. This market never has cared for this kind of player. I hope he knows what he's in for.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
2019/2020’s defense will be better without a doubt.

My only concern now is:

1) Will the Canucks have enough cap space to re-up Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom over the next two years?

2) Does Myers have an actual chance of aging gracefully in a similar manner to say.....Dustin Byfuglien, or is this going to be a Milan Lucic/Andrew Ladd type thing?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Let's just wait until tomorrow when we have an idea what the D actually will be. Who knows, maybe some other teams will rescue Benning from his own stupidity and make monstrous offers to Myers and Benn that Benning can't counter.
I really hope so, but things seem ominous tonight.

I just wish the damned recapture penalty could have been stiffer.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
2019/2020’s defense will be better without a doubt.

My only concern now is:

1) Will the Canucks have enough cap space to re-up Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom over the next two years?

2) Does Myers have an actual chance of aging gracefully in a similar manner to say.....Dustin Byfuglien, or is this going to be a Milan Lucic/Andrew Ladd type thing?

You don't need to worry about cap space for Petey and Hughes. Benning or a new gm trade those 2 because of cap issues have 0% chance of happening.

Canucks have 21 million coming off in 2 years with these 5, Tanev Edler Pearson Sutter ( if he still here ) Baer

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You don't need to worry about cap space for Petey and Hughes. Benning or a new gm trade those 2 because of cap issues have 0% chance of happening.

Canucks have 21 million coming off in 2 years with these 5, Tanev Edler Pearson Sutter ( if he still here ) Baer
lol wait until tomorrow. See how much more is locked up. The answer may surprise you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad