Which Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup First

Which Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup First

• Total voters

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
In a vacuum I think Ottawa has the best potential to become a perennial contender given the depth of our prospect pool and youth of the core at pretty much all positions. In the real world I'm sure we'll find some way to ruin it all and toil in mediocrity. After that it's probably Winnipeg given that Toronto and playoffs mix like cotton candy and water.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I have to say Ottawa. They have a lot of talent but also a lot of grit. Tkachuk is the perfect player to go deep in the playoffs. They'll obviously need veteran leadership but they're on a better path than Toronto ever was.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Winnipeg.
I'd say Ottawa, but it's also Ottawa, all it takes is a Melnyk-getting-too-involved f***ery for this to be a tirefire again.

Reactions: libertarian

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I have to say Ottawa. They have a lot of talent but also a lot of grit. Tkachuk is the perfect player to go deep in the playoffs. They'll obviously need veteran leadership but they're on a better path than Toronto ever was.
Toronto was a 105 point team with a sophomore Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Ottawa hasn't done anything to suggest they're on a better path than Toronto ever was

I went Winnipeg, I think they have a solid team that could go all the way. Ottawa is a good choice in a vacuum but with ownership they're in a tough spot.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Toronto was a 105 point team with a sophomore Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Ottawa hasn't done anything to suggest they're on a better path than Toronto ever was

I went wWinnipeg, I think they have a solid team that could go all the way. Ottawa is a good choice in a vacuum but with ownership they're in a tough spot.

I also picked Winnipeg but I'm not yet ready to rule out Toronto or Edmonton just yet.

As for Ottawa they will be a PO team in a year or two but Melynk will destroy his team again just when they begin to contend for a cup.

The Habs blew their wad last spring and I don't see them getting out of the Atlantic anytime soon.

Zero faith in Calgary and Vancouver's management.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I just went with my own team as I don’t see any of these teams as strong threats. So why not homer vote.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Is there any Canadian team with the young talent and on the rise like Ottawa?

No, because they were awful for so long. They're also further away from a cup than Edmonton, TO or Winnipeg, possibly others.

If in 4-5 years there's no Canadian team with a cup Ottawa and Vancouver probably jump to the top of my list just due to the ages of the cores.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Well I always say that a team has to have success in playoffs before I can take them seriously. Montreal checks.

1. Montreal
2. Toronto .could have been #1...sorry for Tavares' injury.
3.Winnipeg . They don't stand out but they have a complete team.
4. Edmonton: would be #1 if they had a competent gm.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Sorry, I did the homer vote (Ottawa)
- Toronto got screwed by the cap crunch. They have trouble back filling important playoff roles
- Winnipeg, I have liked for a while, but some key players are on the other side of 30. If they get smiled on in the playoffs, they have a chance
- Vancouver has a good young core, so they could pull it together
- Calgary is trending sideways
- Montreal seems to come up big at the right time, no sure they can do that again
-Edmonton, they have the superstars, but they can't seem to plug in the rest of the lineup and this have been going on for years.

Ottawa, the plan is clear. Draft players that are hard to play against. They do not have the superstar talent like the other teams, but they have ~ 18 NHL players in the under 25 age group that compliment each other. Speed, tenacity, size and skill. If it come together, they will have a number of years where they can be strong contenders. To me that is the more likely option.

If Ottawa can't pull it off, then I see another 8 year drought as no other teams have even started a rebuild.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I believe Winnipeg has the best chance of winning a Cup "soon". If you don't think they're likely to win in the next few years with their group, and if you don't think anyone else is close, then you need to look at who has a young core that might be a few years away from getting to that level. That's Ottawa.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
You know prospects are overrated when everyone is voting in the team that just came last place in a division that only included the teams in the poll. Edmonton, Toronto, Winnipeg, and as shown in the playoffs Montreal are all closer as of right now. They have proven stars while ottawa has promising prospects. It's easier to build around your stars (look at Washington over the years) then it is to fully build an entire foundation + the surrounding pieces.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Edmonton - I think guys like Holloway, McLeod, Bouchard and Samorukov will surprise people and finally give Edmonton the depth they've been lacking. I also expect a goalie to be acquired near the deadline if Edmonton is in a good spot and other teams have been eliminated.
Toronto
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Montreal
Vancouver
Calgary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad