Music: Which band’s history is the most interesting?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not sure if you're talking specifically about internal band drama, but if not, Fela Kuti/Afrika 70's history is insane. It reads like an exaggerated myth. Inciting revolution/constantly fighting a corrupt government, getting framed, jailed, and physically beaten by soldiers between every release, marrying 27 wives (12 at a time in rotation), running for President of Nigeria, all while creating his own innovative genre of music and somehow finding time to be about as prolific and great as just about any other artist.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Nirvana had to be one of the most interesting by a wide margin. Especially when their biggest star/frontman didn't take what they did seriously nor could have really cared less about it. Can't imagine how frustrating that had to have been for Grohl and Novoselic.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Manic Street Preachers always had that mystery around them. They released The Holy Bible in 1993 I think and it's regarded as a legendary punk/rock type album but their lead guitarist/songwriter went missing after that and was never found again, there are entire conspiracies about what happened to him. They then changed their style and went on to release 10 more albums including one this week, speaking of which I'm posting some stuff on it. The singer also squeezed in some solo work and the band has always been involved with Welsh stuff like their soccer team.

Also one of those few popular British bands in the 90s that were and still do sing about politics and activism when most others abandoned that in the 80s.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue was a really interesting read, and now Flea is also doing a biography as well.

This might seem dumb, but Blink 182 has had an interesting history when it comes to drama. Kicked out their first drummer because he was an alcoholic, became huge, broke up because Tom was an egotistical asshole, Travis gets in a plane crash that almost killed him, they get back together for another 6 or 7 years and tour and record a few new albums, Tom becomes an asshole and gets kicked out again, Matt Skiba joins and they are back in the mainstream again. Definitely a lot of highs and lows.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
2263798133_94a1b83e91_b.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
All other bands might have some interesting tidbits that you could call history but nothing comes close to Mayhem.

Let's see one member killed self and another killed another band member. What happened beyond that?

You have bands were you have several deaths in several different ways.

Then you have bands like the allman brothers, Lynard Skynard and the marshell tucker band. Now those bands were cursed.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Chumbawumba might be worth a mention. An arts collective that began in the early 80s I believe. Decide to punk the big labels and release an infectious one hit wonder (okay, they had two hits) before resuming their squat parties and assorted weirdness. I belive they finally folded in 2016 or something.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I agree rhcp is pretty interesting .
The beastie boys are kind of iinteresting. 3 jewish kids start a punk band then transform to a rap group and become huge .

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'd love to see what went on behind the scenes on ozzy and motley crue's 1984 bark at the moon tour

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
On topic i suppose is a documentary The wrecking crew, they were studio artists that did literally everything in the 60s /70s.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
the grateful dead are a good answer
The Band are another good answer; teenagers touring with Ronnie Hawkins->Bob Dylan's backup band->Big time success on their own->The Last Waltz/their breakup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad