Music: Which band’s history is the most interesting?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
safe to say there has been some very interesting band stories/drama over the years. Which band do you feel has the most interesting history?

Eagles had a lot of fighting I’ve heard, but I don’t know the specifics.

Fleetwood Mac had lots of romance I’ve been told.

Ramones had lots of fighting between Joey and Johnny mostly over Johnny stealing Joey’s girl away.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
You're talking about Fleetwood Mac 3.0, but their original leader and blues guitar legend Peter Green was an acid casualty several years before their reincarnation.

Other interesting stories:

Badfinger
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Tommy James

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
safe to say there has been some very interesting band stories/drama over the years. Which band do you feel has the most interesting history?

Eagles had a lot of fighting I’ve heard, but I don’t know the specifics.

Fleetwood Mac had lots of romance I’ve been told.

Ramones had lots of fighting between Joey and Johnny mostly over Johnny stealing Joey’s girl away.

The History of The Eagles Part 1 is one of the best music documentaries made, has some great archival footage of the band including audio of Glenn Frey threatening to beat the shit out of Don Felder on stage the night they broke up. Cameron Crowe toured with The Eagles and you can tell he borrowed a lot from the dynamic between Henley/Frey for the movie.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm a huge Red Hot Chili Peppers fan so I'll have to say them and their extended family and all the guys who have played in that band.

It literally started out as some kids playing in an HS band with their crazy friend introducing them, and then eventually trying to rap, all the way to multi platinum selling artists. They've had three main eras but a lot of guys have played with them over the years.

Even the guys now in the band, some of the discs/tours they've played on (Flea with Mars Volta, Klinghoffer with Gnarls Barkley and Beck) is a whose who in the world of music.

Another band that interests me is The Misfits.

Reactions: Diddy

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Tommy James of mony mony fame is interesting.

When he went to collect a royalty check he found out that his record company was run by one of the five crime families of new york city. When he wrote a number down on a piece of paper if what he thought he should get.. the mobsters each put a gun on the table and said "do you want to find out who's a quicker draw?". When he finally got out of the contract and signed with a new lable, the mob family "bought" his record contract back.

Badfinger and bay city rollers for all the wrong reasons....they still can not find all the money.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Completely subjective, but I'm interested in the history of The Doors.

Also Nirvana, Black Flag..

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Nirvana because of how it ended?

Yeah, partially..
Growing up I had a morbid interest in the meteoric, sort of rags-to-riches, to an early grave rock stories. Jim Morrison, Cobain, Sid Vicious, etc. Guys who had a powerful impact on music, then tragically burned up..

Also interesting to me: how big the impact of Nevermind was. In my opinion, it wasn't better than a number of rock albums that dropped around the same time.. But it was a game-changer (especially the Teen Spirit video). I remember every body going out & buying it. I've never seen an album before or after have that impact on my generation. Appetite for Destruction, Purple Rain, Thriller, some Madonna stuff.. I remember those being popular; and kids I knew imitating the style of Axl Rose or Madonna. But no band affected peers I knew, from my socioeconomic class/age group more than Nirvana..

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
All other bands might have some interesting tidbits that you could call history but nothing comes close to Mayhem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad