Which Avs players/prospects will benefit the most from this offseason?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It’s a slightly shortened offseason, but should still be 4 months between Avs games.

Which players/prospects do you think will benefit the most from the hiatus?

I’ll go with two.

1. Connor Timmins:

Timmins hasn’t had the usual amount of time a prospect needs to strength train because of his injury history. I’m hoping that this off-season will give him that opportunity. The skills are there to be a NHL defenceman. If he build his body up a bit I think that will make a positive difference for him.

2. Mikko Rantanen:

Mikko survived of skill and skill alone last season imo. His skating was the worst it’s been in a long time and I think that’s in large part to him having very little practice time. Give him a full offseason to train and I think we see the return of his sharp O-zone turns that are among the best in the league.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Ian Cole was coming off double hip surgery last offseason, and then his wife gave birth like a week before he travelled to the bubble. You have to imagine it would be difficult to stay focused in the bubble with a newborn at home. I'm hoping he can be a serviceable bottom pairing D-man this year and bounce back from a bad year/playoffs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Instead of limping into the postseason dealing with various ailments that was probably the healthiest we'd seen EJ in years. He of course got hurt after Blake Comeau ran into him and Jamie Benn took a subsequent run at him, but that whole first round he looked downright dominant. Yes, I know, it was Arizona, but still, he looked like his old self. Hopefully he'll be similarly recuperated at the start of this upcoming season come January.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Instead of limping into the postseason dealing with various ailments that was probably the healthiest we'd seen EJ in years. He of course got hurt after Blake Comeau ran into him and Jamie Benn took a subsequent run at him, but that whole first round he looked downright dominant. Yes, I know, it was Arizona, but still, he looked like his old self. Hopefully he'll be similarly recuperated at the start of this upcoming season come January.

Too bad it will only last until the 6th game of the season. :sarcasm:

The answer to this is Byram. He got a good long while with the team in bubble learning practice habits and systems. Another offseason to further getting his physical development up to snuff. Then he will have a full WJC playing against the best in his age group, and hopefully confidence is sky high for him to come into camp where the vets are still getting their legs underneath them.

If we don't count Byram, then Landy. He was injured a lot of the season and could never fully get his feet under him. Landy plays through a lot, but it is also noticeable that it takes from his game. Coming into this season fully healthy, and hopefully not getting hurt early, should help him from stumbling out of the gate.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’ll throw Kaut in there. He’s getting some games unlike nearly everyone else and in the ones I’ve seen I think he’s picked up a notch of speed. For the Avs regulars Mikko being healthy and getting a full offseason would be huge

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Too bad it will only last until the 6th game of the season. :sarcasm:

The answer to this is Byram. He got a good long while with the team in bubble learning practice habits and systems. Another offseason to further getting his physical development up to snuff. Then he will have a full WJC playing against the best in his age group, and hopefully confidence is sky high for him to come into camp where the vets are still getting their legs underneath them.

If we don't count Byram, then Landy. He was injured a lot of the season and could never fully get his feet under him. Landy plays through a lot, but it is also noticeable that it takes from his game. Coming into this season fully healthy, and hopefully not getting hurt early, should help him from stumbling out of the gate.
Same with Mikko. Seemed like he was hurt all year so he should be 100% by the time the season gets going.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
It's completely scary to think that our team / roster can get markedly better, and they can. Won't lie, still devastated my boy Nikita got traded away, but Toews seems pretty darned fantastic as a replacement.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Rantanen hopefully will not get any major injuries or its starting to look more and more like he cannot be trusted to stay healthy.

Obviously a break helps the guys dealing with injuries but we all know that EJ, Calvert and others will get injured again no matter how much rest they get.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Rantanen was somehow still hurt in the playoffs then him, probably.

If he was just rusty from missing so many games last season, which is what I suspect, then the long break sure won't help.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Landeskog. Buddy got sliced up.

upload_2020-11-20_2-6-43.gif

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Byram, for all the reasons hench already said. The offseason feels like it was tailored made for him. WJCs right before camp is just icing on the cake. The vets will come in trying to get up to game speed and Byram should already be going 100%. Similar to Makar coming into the 2019 postseason, he probably won't need much ramp-up time. Especially after spending a summer learning Avs systems.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
In a few years, Avs will be a dynasty.

I know it’s an optimistic time for the Avs and people are excited, rightly so, but people should also remember it’s still more likely than not that the Avs don’t win a cup with this particular group, let alone build a dynasty which is nearly impossible in this NHL.

Reactions: Newusername

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
There hasn't been a dynasty in the NHL since the Gretzky's Oilers. Penguins had Lemieux and Jagr and didn't become a dynasty. Avs had two better centers than they have today, a 50 goal scoring wing, best goalie to ever play the game, one of the best defensive defensemen of his era, and a hoast of amazing players like Ozo, Blake, Bourque, Drury, Tanguay and they only managed to win two Cups.

Cool the inane dynasty talk already.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
There hasn't been a dynasty in the NHL since the Gretzky's Oilers. Penguins had Lemieux and Jagr and didn't become a dynasty. Avs had two better centers than they have today, a 50 goal scoring wing, best goalie to ever play the game, one of the best defensive defensemen of his era, and a hoast of amazing players like Ozo, Blake, Bourque, Drury, Tanguay and they only managed to win two Cups.

Yeah but the 90s Red Wings don't exist anymore either.

Current Avs group GOAT

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

It depends on the era and parity between the teams.

AVs have an excellent chance to be a dynasty. I also like the futures of the NYR, LAK, PHI and OTT with their prospect depths.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It depends on the era and parity between the teams.

AVs have an excellent chance to be a dynasty. I also like the futures of the NYR, LAK, PHI and OTT with their prospect depths.
If the Penguins with Crosby/Malkin or the Caps with the greatest goal scorer in history can't become dynasties I think the chances of the Avs being one are near impossible.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
What constitutes a dynasty? I'd say The Penguins have been successful for a very long period (and have been a cup contender). The same applied to The Redwings for a very, very long time. What we are building here is a team with the ability to be a cup contender of a very long period, and to me that constitutes a dynasty. One thing I do know, is as a fanbase, we are pretty hard on our own team and players.

My opinion? If you have players openly stating they want to come to your team, to be on a contender (which is happening now), that means its a year towards being a dynasty. You get that for 5+ years (which we haven't truly yet - we've been in our run for probably one), you've created a dynasty.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What constitutes a dynasty? I'd say The Penguins have been successful for a very long period (and have been a cup contender). The same applied to The Redwings for a very, very long time. What we are building here is a team with the ability to be a cup contender of a very long period, and to me that constitutes a dynasty. One thing I do know, is as a fanbase, we are pretty hard on our own team and players.

My opinion? If you have players openly stating they want to come to your team, to be on a contender (which is happening now), that means its a year towards being a dynasty. You get that for 5+ years (which we haven't truly yet - we've been in our run for probably one), you've created a dynasty.
I typically think a dynasty has to have B2B Cup wins at minimum. I think the Pens have a good shout at being considered one and I know that the Hawks didn’t have a B2B but I could be convinced because 3 in 5 is incredibly impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad