NFL: Which 5 historic picks are the worst?

Which 5 historic picks are the worst?

• WR Kevin White: No. 7 overall by the Bears in 2015

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
1672350245929.png
Which 5 historic picks are the worst?

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The easy answer would be Ryan Leaf, but I’ll throw y’all a bone.

Tony Mandarich has to be one of the most disappointing picks of all time considering who was picked in the top 5 of the 1989 draft.

Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders and Derrick Thomas….and he was sandwiched in that group.

One of the best QB’s of the 90’s, one of the best running backs of all time, one of the best pass rushers of all time and the all time best cornerback of all time.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
JaMarcus Russell because everyone saw it coming.

Well, except Al Davis

And Mel Kiper

"In 3 years from now, you could be looking at a guy who certainly is one of the elite top 5 QBs in this league!" - Mel Kiper Jr.

"Skill level he has is certainly John Elway like" - Mel Kiper Jr.

Reactions: DaveG

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Justin Blackmon is a bigger bust than anyone listed, save for Rogers. Historically, the biggest busts are going to be top 3, once you get to picks later in the top 10, there's a million of those guys.

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And Mel Kiper

"In 3 years from now, you could be looking at a guy who certainly is one of the elite top 5 QBs in this league!" - Mel Kiper Jr.

"Skill level he has is certainly John Elway like" - Mel Kiper Jr.

In terms of evaluating the tools, he was right. He had the tools to be all that, but people knew he would be the perfect Raider since he was all-tools and no toolbox just like everyone else that passed through there since the Raiders specialized in having no idea nor desire to do anything than put together the best teams on Madden. Matt Millen kicked him out of their pre-draft interview (apparently disclosed as much to Al, maybe having someone as dumb as Millen do that emboldened him). The big thing quite frankly is that Russell didn't even get another shot. 25 starts at age 24, not even heard from again, not even in someone's camp. We just had a 1st round QB who is older than Russell was when he was out of the league.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Blake Bortles? Sure he was a bit of a disappointment for a 3rd overall but he was the starter for a team that played in the AFC championship game and. Early got them to the Super Bowl. These 1st round QB's since 2010 are much worse.

Locker
Gabbert
Ponder
Griffin
Manuel
Manziel
Lynch
Rosen

He's numbers are similar to Bradford who went 1st overall. If Mariota doesn't become a starter again he'll have worse numbers. Guys like Trubisky, Darnold and Jones still have time but could be worse if they don't become starters somewhere. Mayfield could be added to that list as well if he doesn't figure his future out.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
russell's biggest problem was that he had zero motivation, not that he wasn't skilled enough

combine that with the fact that he had zero weapons and no o-line in oakland. of course he was going to fail

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Bosworth more of a case of being overhyped and failing to live up to it. He wasn't terrible, especially compared to most of this list.
Doesn't belong here.

Edit: but Aaron Curry probably does, 4th overall and "safest pick in the draft" that never did squat in the pros.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and Babe Ruth

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Justin Blackmon is a bigger bust than anyone listed, save for Rogers. Historically, the biggest busts are going to be top 3, once you get to picks later in the top 10, there's a million of those guys.
Rogers might've been a good pick if it weren't for injuries. Andre Johnson going right after him definitely made the pick worse tho. I don't see how him and Blackmon are worse picks than Russell and Leaf.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rogers might've been a good pick if it weren't for injuries. Andre Johnson going right after him definitely made the pick worse tho. I don't see how him and Blackmon are worse picks than Russell and Leaf.
I wasn’t clear, I was referring to only receivers on that point.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
By your argument you're wrong. He was a 5th pick and 2/3 of the poll options are top 3 picks.

There was an SI cover story on Mandarich. He didn't shower with the team, because he abused PEDs so badly that he had breasts.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
By your argument you're wrong. He was a 5th pick and 2/3 of the poll options are top 3 picks.

There was an SI cover story on Mandarich. He didn't shower with the team, because he abused PEDs so badly that he had breasts.
He was but not many WR’s were in the top 3

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
jamarcus and mandarich are my slam dunk 2 here. next 2 after jamarcus russell were calvin johnson and joe thomas. mandarich was crazy hyped and went 2. the next 3 picks were barry sanders, derrick thomas, and deion sanders.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
jamarcus and mandarich are my slam dunk 2 here. next 2 after jamarcus russell were calvin johnson and joe thomas. mandarich was crazy hyped and went 2. the next 3 picks were barry sanders, derrick thomas, and deion sanders.
Agree. Those two were easy for me. I went with Rogers next but it could just as easily been Leaf.

Don't see Bortles and Bosworth as belonging. They may not have been top 3 OA good but they at least had careers with some level of production. That elevates them over most of this list in itself.

Joey Harrington maybe instead?

Last edited:
Reactions: ecemleafs

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Agree. Those two were easy for me. I went with Rogers next but it could just have easily been Leaf.

Don't see Bortles and Bosworth as belonging. They may not have been top 3 OA good but they at least had careers with some level of production. That elevates them over most of this list in itself.

Joey Harrington maybe instead?

Gallery fits this as well

Spent 8 years as starter including 5 years at G after his struggles at T. From what I recall he was solid in G role

Sure he did not live up to pick but 8 years as a starter in NFL is far from historic worst

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Mandarich, Leaf, and Russell are the clear cut top 3 here. The other 2 are more open ended. I went with Rogers and Richardson.

Rogers, in addition to being a bust on the field, had legal problems off of it. His pick was made even worse by the very next pick being Andre Johnson. Richardson was a RB with no vision. What was more baffling about him though was even after he was clearly a bust, the Colts still gave a first round pick to the Browns for him (which Cleveland wasted by using it to trade up for Manziel).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad