Which 1OA and Cup Win outcome would make the most fans the most salty?

Which 1OA and Cup Win outcome would make the most fans the most salty?

• Total voters

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Oilers get 1OA, Arizona wins the Cup

If Montreal wins the Cup, none of their fans will be salty, and it's a lot of them! But, if Arizona wins the Cup, you're gonna get:

Arizona fans Happy (which are on the low end unfortunately)
Everyone else salty that Oilers get 1st OA
The rest that are salty because a team outside the playoffs won the Cup

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Obviously Lafreniere is not in the same category of player like Crosby compared to when he was drafted 1st overall. However wouldn't some people hate that the Penguins got another 1st overall pick which were not under normal circumstances? The 2005 draft lottery had those rules where which teams had the most balls and best chances like Pittsburgh did, because there was no season due to the 2004-05 lockout.

Also for those who believe in conspiracy theories Lafreniere played with Rimouski in the QHMJHL, which was the same team Crosby played for when the Penguins drafted him.

People also weren't happy when the Pens gutted their entire team and iced minor leaguers in 84 when they were trying to land Lemieux. Their own players weren't even trying to win games.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs winning the cup and first overall pick? Auston Matthews Conn Smythe winner?

These boards will never be the same again. You would see posters that have been in hiding like Hollywood North come out and make threads “Matthews is the best player in the league and > McDavid”

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Leafs winning the cup and first overall pick? Auston Matthews Conn Smythe winner?

These boards will never be the same again. You would see posters that have been in hiding like Hollywood North come out and make threads “Matthews is the best player in the league and > McDavid”

and others, screaming "asterisk" from the top of the mountains, for all time.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This cup won’t have an asterisk unless the Habs or Hawks somehow win

Ridiculous. If Hawks or Habs win - Habs especially considering all the top teams in east - it will almost assuredly be the toughest road to a cup ever. How can you even begin to asterisk that.

The only way you get an asterisk is if virus causes a lot of big players to sit out big games leading to favorites losing when they shouldnt have. Can you imagine Drai/McDavid or Crosby/Malkin on fire leading in points by round 3 and leading series 2-0 and then having to sit out due to virus and their team loses? But barring circumstances like those - no asterisk

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
^^^

Without wishing anyone to get sick - it would be absolutely hilarious if Tor faces Boston in ECF and is losing 3-1 but most stars on Boston get sick and Leafs come back and go on to win the cup.

Leafs winning would get fans salty. Leafs winning in such an unfair way would be exponentially worst

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Anything involving the Leafs winning a cup. Some of those fans are already unbearably entitled, that's why the team is constant target of hate. Imagine how much worse it would get if they actually won something.
Doesn't really matter who wins 1oa if #1 happens.

As for the penguins getting #1 it won't happen they're not facing bankruptcy yet

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Ridiculous. If Hawks or Habs win - Habs especially considering all the top teams in east - it will almost assuredly be the toughest road to a cup ever. How can you even begin to asterisk that.

The only way you get an asterisk is if virus causes a lot of big players to sit out big games leading to favorites losing when they shouldnt have. Can you imagine Drai/McDavid or Crosby/Malkin on fire leading in points by round 3 and leading series 2-0 and then having to sit out due to virus and their team loses? But barring circumstances like those - no asterisk
It is an asterisk because they’re not supposed to be there in the first place. They got a second chance at life.

Teams that worked all season to get a playoff spot, whereas Montreal did nothing all season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It is an asterisk because they’re not supposed to be there in the first place. They got a second chance at life.

Teams that worked all season to get a playoff spot, whereas Montreal did nothing all season.

Such a loser mentality, complaining about the 23rd and 24th placed teams. Imagine the Penguins crying if they lose to Montreal? "boohoo it's no fair the 24th team eliminated us - it would have been more fair if we played Washington the 2nd favorite team in round 1 instead". No. If teams lose to a 24th or 23rd place team - it's too bad for them.

Montreal nor Chicago asked to be in the playoffs - but the format was changed and they're in. That's more of a negative than a positive according to most of their fans, because both teams need help at draft and this could lower their draft position. So there's some risk for them too.

Pandemic changed the whole picture. If Montreal wins the cup by beating likely opponents that would include Pitt/Boston/Tampa/Washington/St-Louis or Col - it would be the hardest earned cup in history.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Prior to the trade deadline we saw Marc Bergevin trade away Ilya Kovalchuk and Marco Scandella. So he obviously knew the Canadiens were not going to make the playoffs under the normal circumstances.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Such a loser mentality, complaining about the 23rd and 24th placed teams. Imagine the Penguins crying if they lose to Montreal? "boohoo it's no fair the 24th team eliminated us - it would have been more fair if we played Washington the 2nd favorite team in round 1 instead". No. If teams lose to a 24th or 23rd place team - it's too bad for them.

Montreal nor Chicago asked to be in the playoffs - but the format was changed and they're in. That's more of a negative than a positive according to most of their fans, because both teams need help at draft and this could lower their draft position. So there's some risk for them too.

Pandemic changed the whole picture. If Montreal wins the cup by beating likely opponents that would include Pitt/Boston/Tampa/Washington/St-Louis or Col - it would be the hardest earned cup in history.
Loser mentality? So why don’t we bring in the Red Wings as well? If they win it will be the most impressive win of all time right?

Lets just keep on allowing losing teams to make the playoffs because they’re “no threat”. Not punish, but support

Hell, might as well make it a 31-team playoffs

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Loser mentality? So why don’t we bring in the Red Wings as well? If they win it will be the most impressive win of all time right?

Lets just keep on allowing losing teams to make the playoffs because they’re “no threat”. Not punish, but support

Hell, might as well make it a 31-team playoffs

I mean - you make it sound like this is common practice? Unique circumstances - hopefully once in a lifetime occurrence. They tried to come up with the most fair way possible. Cutting it off at points % top 16 teams would be completely unfair to those teams within the margin of error of qualifying, who likely would have. Expanding it a bit more to allow more teams vs less seemed like a fine compromise. I was the first to say Arizona/Chicago/Montreal had no real shot at qualifying - but all in all it's not a huge thing. If they do win - considering how hard it will be to win and how much at a disadvantage they are vs all other teams (being lowest seed, and "worst" teams) - they should get full merit to their cup with no asterisk at all.

Bringing up the Detroit example is really silly. BUT - if the decision had been made to open up the playoffs/tourney to all teams - again, I'd have preferred not, and concentrate on the top ~20 teams - and if Detroit did win the cup? Again 100% full merit to them. Would be the hardest cup win ever.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I mean - you make it sound like this is common practice? Unique circumstances - hopefully once in a lifetime occurrence. They tried to come up with the most fair way possible. Cutting it off at points % top 16 teams would be completely unfair to those teams within the margin of error of qualifying, who likely would have. Expanding it a bit more to allow more teams vs less seemed like a fine compromise. I was the first to say Arizona/Chicago/Montreal had no real shot at qualifying - but all in all it's not a huge thing. If they do win - considering how hard it will be to win and how much at a disadvantage they are vs all other teams (being lowest seed, and "worst" teams) - they should get full merit to their cup with no asterisk at all.

Bringing up the Detroit example is really silly. BUT - if the decision had been made to open up the playoffs/tourney to all teams - again, I'd have preferred not, and concentrate on the top ~20 teams - and if Detroit did win the cup? Again 100% full merit to them. Would be the hardest cup win ever.
You're missing the point. The reason for this entire situation is because of a mass pandemic where limiting the amount of people/contact is the premier way of combating this thing until a vaccine arrives. So if you're bringing in teams that don't really have a dog in the wild-card race, don't give them a spot. No need to complicate things and put more people at risk.

Forget about the fact that they didn't deserve it in the first place.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You're missing the point. The reason for this entire situation is because of a mass pandemic where limiting the amount of people/contact is the premier way of combating this thing until a vaccine arrives. So if you're bringing in teams that don't really have a dog in the wild-card race, don't give them a spot. No need to complicate things and put more people at risk.

Forget about the fact that they didn't deserve it in the first place.

Yeah I think having 20 teams would have been plenty instead of 24 (21 to be exact without screwing anyone over, but that's not a square number). The problem is if you don't do play-ins - you do.....what? Finish regular season for 10 games, then playoffs? That brings all 31 teams back, and many playing for no stake. Needless endangering of teams.

I don't think the play-in format is the absolute best format they could have picked - but overall I do think it's good.

I think too much importance is being given to Montreal and Chicago.

You know when an Asterisk would have been worthy? Imagine Caps had imploded this year, all kinds of issues, and for whatever reason they were in 24th place. Or imagine Tampa didn't turn their season around in December and were in 24th team. Those would be a serious top cup contender - who happens to have a bad season - whose being brought into playoffs unfairly and could cause serious damage. I could understand teams being upset. Habs and Hawks genuinely suck - worthy of 23rd and 24th place teams. If they come in and outperform expectations by such a huge margin so as to win the hardest cup ever - they get full merits according to me, asterisk'lessly.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I think having 20 teams would have been plenty instead of 24 (21 to be exact without screwing anyone over, but that's not a square number). The problem is if you don't do play-ins - you do.....what? Finish regular season for 10 games, then playoffs? That brings all 31 teams back, and many playing for no stake. Needless endangering of teams.

I don't think the play-in format is the absolute best format they could have picked - but overall I do think it's good.

I think too much importance is being given to Montreal and Chicago.

You know when an Asterisk would have been worthy? Imagine Caps had imploded this year, all kinds of issues, and for whatever reason they were in 24th place. Or imagine Tampa didn't turn their season around in December and were in 24th team. Those would be a serious top cup contender - who happens to have a bad season - whose being brought into playoffs unfairly and could cause serious damage. I could understand teams being upset. Habs and Hawks genuinely suck - worthy of 23rd and 24th place teams. If they come in and outperform expectations by such a huge margin so as to win the hardest cup ever - they get full merits according to me, asterisk'lessly.
The teams that are not qualified for the play-ins should go home. Those stats aren't even recorded anyway so it's not like players are getting shafted. No need to bring back the regular season.

I see that and it makes sense for many reasons because at that point you're giving them the benefit of the doubt. As a Caps fan I'd be mad but they would not deserve a spot (even if they won the Cup the season before). It should be like that. But it is what it is.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Leafs winning the cup might actually be too much for HF to recover from.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Leafs winning the cup. I never want to see that happen again in my lifetime.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
whoa i'm surprised #1 is winning. I know people love to hate on Toronto - but not sure why people would be so salty if they win cup. Long-time coming lol. I'd think Pittsburgh winning the cup would be worst - so I voted #3.

I suppose #4 could work too - Oilers win #1 overall and Pittsburgh wins the cup.

You're way underestimating the Oilers aspect here. #1 would be by and far the most talked scenario here. Not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad