Where would you rank Sidney Crosby All Time?

Where would you rank Sidney Crosby All Time?

• Top 4

Votes: 23 5.9%

Votes: 143 37.0%

Votes: 60 15.5%

Votes: 40 10.3%

Votes: 20 5.2%

Votes: 10 2.6%

Votes: 43 11.1%
  • #11 or Above

Votes: 48 12.4%

• Total voters

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
Yes, agreed - it's a matter of opinion (though some are easier to support than others).

For full transparency, from the list I submitted for the the HOH Top 200 project (in December 2020):

I had Crosby 10th (he would be higher today), Clarke 25th, Sakic 33rd, Yzerman 38th, and Francis 112th. (Not saying that these rankings are set in stone, if someone had Francis 95th or 120th I wouldn't think twice, but I don't see him anywhere close to Sakic/Yzerman, let alone Crosby).

Thank you for this detailed response. It's interesting to see Sakic ahead of Yzerman.
Neither of them would make my top 10 Centres list.

I think at the moment I got these ten:

Top three - Gretzky, Lemieux and Beliveau like other posters above

Remaining 7 - in No Particular order:
Morenz, Esposito, Clarke, Messier, Larionov, Fedorov (I know I'm biased here but when he was in a mood and felt motivated, Sergei could dominate the game at both ends like nobody else can), and Crosby

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Thank you for this detailed response. It's interesting to see Sakic ahead of Yzerman.

Morenz, Esposito, Clarke, Messier, Larionov, Fedorov (I know I'm biased here but when he was in a mood and felt motivated, Sergei could dominate the game at both ends like nobody else can), and Crosby
You have beliveau so high while crosby has a very similar career but in a far deeper league.... very interesting indeed

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
You have beliveau so high while crosby has a very similar career but in a far deeper league.... very interesting indeed
Even my opponents in this thread have Beliveau so high.

The Original Six league was extremely competitive. Nothing similar to today's NHL.

I'll repeat what Bernie Ecclestone said: different times, different cars

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

You have Crosby lumped in with Larionov and Fedorov? At this point, I'm pretty sure you're just trying to stir shit up for a reaction.

Reactions: wetcoast

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
You have Crosby lumped in with Larionov and Fedorov? At this point, I'm pretty sure you're just trying to stir shit up for a reaction.
You're not particularly polite, are you?

Larionov is there due to longevity and results.
He centered KLM, one of the most dominant lines in history. He's played for 2 decades and won every hockey competition you can think of.

Fedorov is my personal favourite as mentioned in my previous post.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You're not particularly polite, are you?

Larionov is there due to longevity and results.
He centered KLM, one of the most dominant lines in history. He's played for 2 decades and won every hockey competition you can think of.

Fedorov is my personal favourite as mentioned in my previous post.

What does Fedorov being your personal favorite have anything to do with it though? If we're talking about objectively ranking players - Fedorov is nowhere near that high.

My favorite defenseman ever is PK Subban. I don't rank him above Lidstrom

Reactions: wetcoast

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
What does Fedorov being your personal favorite have anything to do with it though? If we're talking about objectively ranking players - Fedorov is nowhere near that high.

My favorite defenseman ever is PK Subban. I don't rank him above Lidstrom

Objectively, Fedorov is one of the best two-way forwards and big game performers in history. So he made my top 10. All these rankings are subjective

You are welcome to rank Subban as No 1 defenceman of all time if that's what you think. It won't harm anyone

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Objectively, Fedorov is one of the best two-way forwards and big game performers in history. So he made my top 10. All these rankings are subjective

You are welcome to rank Subban as No 1 defenceman of all time if that's what you think. It won't harm anyone

Yes, he is talented.

However - Fedorov only twice was a top 10 scorer.
Fedorov only twice was top 5 in hart voting
Fedorov only twice in his career scored over 87 points.

He had a lot of talent but his career achievements put him very far in terms of top hockey players of all-time. He's closer to being ranked ~100th than he is to 10th.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
Yes, he is talented.

However - Fedorov only twice was a top 10 scorer.
Fedorov only twice was top 5 in hart voting
Fedorov only twice in his career scored over 87 points.

He had a lot of talent but his career achievements put him very far in terms of top hockey players of all-time. He's closer to being ranked ~100th than he is to 10th.
Thats your opinion.
I rank players by their ability to help a team win games. You can be a perennial 120 point scorer but if you choke in a postseason or your team consistently misses the playoffs, you can have 50 Hart trophies but I'll rank you below a 80 point scorer who leads a team to the cup finals and wins big games.

You conviniently ommited a few of Fedorovs accomplishments. He's one of the best two-away forwards who was able to dominate the neutral zone, shut down opposition's top centre and score a hat trick (done it versus the league's leading scorer Lemieux, for instance)

I can't think of 100 players better than Fedorov. All those Newsy Lalondes don't really count because hockey wasn't a global sport back then.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

True, which is why he's arguably one of the best at his peak, but over anything more than a 3 year period Crosby puts a lot of separation, and we're not just talking about 5-10 years now but 17 as an elite player with basically no down seasons except for a few lackluster playoff runs lately which he's more than making up for right now. He basically had prime Fedorov's impact outside of 1 peak season for his entire career outside of his 10 year prime, and peak for peak he was at the same level if not higher for longer.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The clear top-4 for me are the following:

1- Gretzky
2- Orr
3- Lemeiux
4- Howe

Crosby would be anywhere from 5-10, and likely closer to #5. Realistically anywhere from 5-8 is debatable, but it's not over yet for him so it's possible to move up I guess.

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
True, which is why he's arguably one of the best at his peak, but over anything more than a 3 year period Crosby puts a lot of separation, and we're not just talking about 5-10 years now but 17 as an elite player with basically no down seasons except for a few lackluster playoff runs lately which he's more than making up for right now. He basically had prime Fedorov's impact outside of 1 peak season for his entire career outside of his 10 year prime, and peak for peak he was at the same level if not higher for longer.

Thanks. That is why I have Crosby in my top 10 centres.

I also have Fedorov in top 10 because he played and excelled in the most competitive era in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad