Where would you rank Sidney Crosby All Time?

Where would you rank Sidney Crosby All Time?

• Top 4

Votes: 23 5.9%

Votes: 143 37.0%

Votes: 60 15.5%

Votes: 40 10.3%

Votes: 20 5.2%

Votes: 10 2.6%

Votes: 43 11.1%
  • #11 or Above

Votes: 48 12.4%

• Total voters

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Voted fifth. Virtually everything that a hockey player can accomplish he has done, several times. Both individually and with the team, as a leader and coming in clutch in the biggest moments. Playoff MVPs, best on best MVPs, golden goals, regular season MVPs and scoring titles, seventeen consecutive point per game seasons and counting.

It's always hard to compare different eras and there's always discussion whether the dominance Gretzky and Lemieux had could be repeatable today, but to me it's impossible to put Crosby in discussion with Gretzky who is arguably the most dominant athlete of all time.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Voted fifth. Virtually everything that a hockey player can accomplish he has done, several times. Both individually and with the team, as a leader and coming in clutch in the biggest moments. Playoff MVPs, best on best MVPs, golden goals, regular season MVPs and scoring titles, seventeen consecutive point per game seasons and counting.
This no explanation needed

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

If he had managed a bit more luck on the health side of things, it wouldn't even be a debate and he'd be knocking on the door of the big 4. But, even then, I think he's matched the careers of the guys normally ranked in and around that spot (Beliveau, Hull, Richard, Harvey) and did it in a more challenging era.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Can be argued anywhere from 5-15 depending on what you value most in a career. There's really no definitive ranking for the group of Crosby, Beliveau, OV, Bobby Hull, Jagr, Richard, Bourque, Hasek, Roy (probably missed someone).

I kinda agree with this. I think arguments can be made for Crosby over any of those players just the same as I think that any of those players could have arguments made for them over Crosby.

That being said, I do kinda feel like he will settle at the #5 spot all-time when all is said and done because while I feel like all the players you listed are more or less on the same "level," I do think Crosby is at the top of that level and I tend to favor his argument over pretty much all of the others.

I think if he wasn't injured during his peak he probably very clearly separates himself from all of the players you listed.

I voted #5 all-time.

I don't think anyone will be cracking the Big 4 for a long, long time.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Can be argued anywhere from 5-15 depending on what you value most in a career. There's really no definitive ranking for the group of Crosby, Beliveau, OV, Bobby Hull, Jagr, Richard, Bourque, Hasek, Roy (probably missed someone).

I think this is really what it's all about. After the Big 4, it really depends on one's own value system and there really is no right or wrong answer here. I very much agree that Crosby can fall anywhere between No. 5 and No. 15. And as one individual already put above, even his own rankings for these guys can change on any given day; they would change for me too.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
One above or one below Ovie. Definitely top 10.

McDavid winning 2+ Cups and having 2+ Smythe’s while continuing his trophy winning regular seasons would probably put him top 5 however.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He was very unlucky with injuries and very unlucky with the timing of those injuries that cost him a big chunk of his peak and Art Ross/Hart wins. If he plays literally 40- 50 more games (less than 5% of his career at key times during his career, he has 2 or 3 more Rosses and Harts, at least 1 or 2 of those won in a dominant fashion and he is #5 without a doubt. The only decent argument to be made is the lack of a signature, full season during his peak.

The players that have arguments over him are Beliveau (better signature season in 55/56 and more Cups), Hull (better signature season in 65/66), and Hasek (more dominant peak level of play).

But Crosby has many arguments to be made over them namely more seasons of notable Art Ross/Hart finishes (made more impressive with the size of the league), a longevity of prime/elite level of play that is rivalled only by Wayne and Howe, and a superior playoff resume (vs. Howe and Hasek).

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
As Sid the Kid's Career is Creeping towards it's end (Yes, we're all old), I just want to see where everyone Puts Crosby on their All Time lists.

Let's Discuss.

I'd put him at #10, behind Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Richard, Bourque, Messier, Hull & Esposito.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Have him outside the top 10 at the moment, but he's still got a few years left. For me careers have to conclude before I judge them, otherwise the 2003 class had 40 hall of famers instead of the more-than-likely 4-5 it's actually going to produce. Guys who were top guys like Staal, Vanek, Phaneuf, Carter, Seabrook, Parise, Getzlaf, Kesler, Richards, Eriksson and Perry all fell off and are likely not going to be HOFers. Bergeron, Weber, possibly Suter, Fleury, and maybe Corey Perry if he's lucky will get in.

Basically if Crosby tapers off and has four bad seasons to end his career I don't see how he can be top 5. I will say it's super impressive that both Crosby and Ovi are (more than likely) going to break the top 15 of all time in points despite coming up in a pretty low-scoring era.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Gonna hijack the thread a bit here, why does Jagr rarely get mentioned in the top 10? Is it because he wasn't THE guy for his cup wins? Or perhaps it's the number of times his teams missed the playoffs?

He has plenty of individual hardware, international success, great peak and prime to go with longevity, and of course he places high on all time stat lists.

Genuinely curious about the consensus on this one.

AgeIess

Jul 14, 2021
Gonna hijack the thread a bit here, why does Jagr rarely get mentioned in the top 10? Is it because he wasn't THE guy for his cup wins? Or perhaps it's the number of times his teams missed the playoffs?

He has plenty of individual hardware, international success, great peak and prime to go with longevity, and of course he places high on all time stat lists.

There seems to be a bias against him, particularly among fans of Crosby and Ovechkin. I think we can safely assume why and I think we know it's certainly not for the reasons they usually state.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Who of Hull, Beliveau, Richard or Crosby does he replace in the Top Ten? He is around 15th all-time along with OV (for now).

Reactions: Number 9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad