Where would you rank calgary's defense?

Where would you rank it?

• Total voters

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yes, I have to know what people think. Flames were top 10 in least shots given up last year, yet still bled goals against. Goaltending was a bit below average, but it was a bit of a shock especially with the hype surrounding our d. With that in mind, where you rank our defense this year with the moves made and will it finally live up to expectations?

Edit:

What I think the pairings will be

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Stone-Andersson

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
IMG_1505.JPG

"The flames defence is the best there is, the best there was and the best there will ever be".

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Depends how Peters uses them. They should have been great the last 2 years but Gulutzan had them playing against their strengths, lots of square peg round hole stuff like Brodie on his off side.

Last edited:

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
If Brodie returns to his form... with Gio as I’m sure he will, I’d say 6-10. Voted 11-15 for now.

I really think Gio-Brodie will be one of the top pairs in the league again this year as they were a few years back. (One of the top...)

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
Definitely 11-15. Like the poster said above, if Brodie and Gio can turn back time a few years they will be a top 10 defense. Right now I just don't see it after this past season.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Yes, I have to know what people think. Flames were top 10 in least shots given up last year, yet still bled goals against. Goaltending was a bit below average, but it was a bit of a shock especially with the hype surrounding our d. With that in mind, where you rank our defense this year with the moves made and will it finally live up to expectations?

there has been many times we are told "on paper" Calgary has one of the best defense lineups.
until they go out and play well, I'm going to assume this year they'll again be a paper tiger.
will still be solid though. just not top 5..
I voted 11-15.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Depends largely on how Brodie can rebound. If he gets back to the player he was under Hartley then I think this is a top 10 group. Playing with Giordano again should help him do that. Pretty big believer in his, just a fantastic skater and puck mover when he's given a bit of leash to do so. They have some very promising prospects in the system as well so top to bottom I'd rate them top 10.

Reactions: JurassicTunga

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That defence last year surrendered very little while being completely mishandled by a coach say out of his range.

They’re in the top half of the league. How high they rank is up to them.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Gio is an elite Norris calibre stud.

the rest is pretty poor.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Gio is an elite Norris calibre stud.

the rest is pretty poor.

I'd say the rest is pretty inconsistent. If Hanifin, Brodie, and Hamonic all play at their best it's a top 5 group. If not it could be below average.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd say the rest is pretty inconsistent. If Hanifin, Brodie, and Hamonic all play at their best it's a top 5 group. If not it could be below average.

If Calgary gets Hamonic from last year, Brodie from the Gio/Brodie pairings, that top 3 alone puts them in the top 10 of the league to me. Then it's all what Hanifin does. Stone's one of the best bottom pair guys in the league, and there's a chance Andersson is actually something pretty special.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
6-10th. Used to be top 5, but we downgraded Hamilton with Hanifin in hopes for longer years of sustainability in the future of staying in the top 10.

As mentioned in other posts, it depends on the reuniting of Brodano and Hanifin with Hamonic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad