Where would we have been if Igor started the whole season?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Reading about Jagr in another thread made me think that this team while younger wasn't less talented than the 05-06 team. Panarin isn't quite Jagr of that year but not far behind and that team didn't have anyone close to Mika. Plus their defense wasn't great either and offensively that defense wasn't even close. The only thing that team had over this one was better defensive coaching and a better goalie. So I wonder if this could have been a 100 point team with Igor in net all season. We also seem to be in a far better division this year so that would have hurt.

Edit: Prorated to 100, because I know it wouldn't have been 82 games.

Last edited:

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
If I did the math correctly his record the past 4 years is 98-18-13 which has him winning 84% of his games and getting points in 86% of his games. Split that with Georgie and Hank....
I think over 70 games he has 25-30 wins and a few loser points. Top 3 in metro for sure.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Goaltending wasn’t really an issue the first two months even though hank continued to give up ridiculous goals. But thru December/January and up until Shesterkin came up, our goaltending got worse and worse to the point that it completely reversed from goaltending carrying to team to goaltending dragging the team down when they should have been winning way more as they got much much better as a group. If Shesterkin had come up say 15 to 20 games sooner we’d have gone on a major run no doubt in my mind. Georgie and Hank barely could play 500 hockey for a long stretch there

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Lundqvist was terrific in November. Geo had some very solid games Dec - Feb.

Not sure how many more points Igor would have stolen those three months.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Not much better. Lundqvist and Georgiev were good the first half of the year, and the team was terrible.

People are overflowing what Shesterkin did. Team was substantially better by the time Shesterkin was called up. Team was trash for the first third of the year.

Reactions: Mr Clutch and Chimp

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Not much better. Lundqvist and Georgiev were good the first half of the year, and the team was terrible.

People are overflowing what Shesterkin did. Team was substantially better by the time Shesterkin was called up. Team was trash for the first third of the year.
This. The team was the worst in the league defensively at the start. Yes, we were worse then the Red Wings, LA and Chicago. At one point, had the worst defense and had the best quality goaltending.

Wait to herald Shesty as the next goalie Jesus until he plays a prolonged period behind a clown team performance - and see how he responds.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
NYR would be right where they are now.
Shesty needed and deserved to be eased in to NA hockey.
NYR did this 100% right.
Even if there's a fun surprise run this summer, genuine NYR contention is still a year (or more) out

Reactions: egelband

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
We would be roughly where we are today. Shesty benefitted from coming to a better team compared to what Hank and Georgie had to deal with.

Also, Shesty had insane goal support which allowed him to give up 3 goals regularly and still get the win.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think his timing, and excellent play, also coincided with the entire team really hitting their stride.

If he plays at the same level to start the season, it's quite possible he steals a few games. But I think there's a lot of factors that go into that --- including the team in front of him, adjusting to the league, the performance level of the teams we played, etc.

The Rangers, made a lot of progress this season, but they were also often a very vulnerable team that was only slight breeze away from being pushed into picking in the top 10, or sneaking into the playoffs.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We would be roughly where we are today. Shesty benefitted from coming to a better team compared to what Hank and Georgie had to deal with.

Also, Shesty had insane goal support which allowed him to give up 3 goals regularly and still get the win.

We've scored goals all season. And in order to defend Hank you're shitting on Shesty. He didn't give up 3 goals regularly. Yeah, he gave up 3 goals more than you'd expect for someone with a 0.931 save %, which points at how piss poor this D is, but you're making him sound like a scrub.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
We've scored goals all season. And in order to defend Hank you're shitting on Shesty. He didn't give up 3 goals regularly. Yeah, he gave up 3 goals more than you'd expect for someone with a 0.931 save %, which points at how piss poor this D is, but you're making him sound like a scrub.
Idt it makes him sound like a scrub at all - it makes him sound like exactly what he is, a rookie goaltender whos very flashy and talented but who’s historic start was aided (a lot) by the teams scoring trend at the time

Doesnt mean that poster still doesnt think the world of Shestyorkin. Id rather have his viewpoint than the ones who are claiming hes the next Lundqvist like as if thats not something Henrik spent the better part of two decades cementing... and Im a f***ing Devils fan lol

Blackwood > Shestyorkin :^)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Idt it makes him sound like a scrub at all - it makes him sound like exactly what he is, a rookie goaltender whos very flashy and talented but who’s historic start was aided (a lot) by the teams scoring trend at the time

Doesnt mean that poster still doesnt think the world of Shestyorkin. Id rather have his viewpoint than the ones who are claiming hes the next Lundqvist like as if thats not something Henrik spent the better part of two decades cementing... and Im a f***ing Devils fan lol

Blackwood > Shestyorkin :^)

His wins were aided by the scoring. But how much higher could his save percentage been to allow fewer than 3 goals on many occasions? You can only do so much while facing 40+ shots. That said that IS relevant to this thread since it's about the team as a whole as well.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Scoring and defensive effort really gelled once Shesty came up. If you cant see the difference between the team Hank and Georgie had infront of them compared to the one Shesty got to play behind then I dont know what to say.

And I didnt shit on him. I just think some are really fast and loose with anointing him the next goalie jesus.

Anyhow, stay safe buddy, things look really scary over in NYC right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad